AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Def Tech set up in a small listening/TV room for a couple years. I have three Studio Monitor 55s across the front and Def Tech in wall bipolars for the surrounds (off the top of my head, I believe they are BI 5.5 BPS). I'm very happy with the speakers, but they being used in a small room. We are building a new house that will have a much bigger room (roughly 23' by 20') that we will be turning into a dedicated theater. Will my existing Def Techs be sufficient for the space when paired with a couple quality subwoofers?

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
They are very efficient speakers and rated at 250w. Some tower speakers are not even rated as high so you should be just fine. You are going to need some pretty big subs to fill that space though. What amp(s) are you using or planning on getting to power those? How far out is the MLP?

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,769 Posts
Will my existing Def Techs be sufficient for the space when paired with a couple quality subwoofers?
That depends upon your expectations really.

Assuming the room is sealed and it has the standard 8' ceiling height you're looking at a little over 3600 ft^3 of space, not insignificant. Those speakers have a passive radiator, which will help with the output, but at the end of the day they're still bookshelf speakers trying to fill a large space. Given you have become accustom to their performance in a much smaller environment you may ultimately find they don't provide the same level of satisfaction when used in a much larger room. Only way to tell is try them though, so I would wait until you can do that before putting too much thought into this. You may find they're sufficient to satisfy your needs, albeit with somewhat diminished performance.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are very efficient speakers and rated at 250w. Some tower speakers are not even rated as high so you should be just fine. You are going to need some pretty big subs to fill that space though. What amp(s) are you using or planning on getting to power those? How far out is the MLP?
I haven't made any decisions about amps or subs yet. Currently, the speakers are in a small multipurpose room with small subs. The subs help but are clearly insufficient even for the current small space. However, my wife wouldn't allow anything bigger. The new room will be a dedicated theater, so I'll be free to pick whatever subs and amps I prefer. I'm researching Hsu and SVS at the moment. It appears we won't be moving in until March, so I have some time to figure things out. Thanks for your help.

Jim, thank you also. Waiting to see how they sound in the new house makes sense to me, despite my impatience that has me posting 8 months before the place will be done.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
I've had a Def Tech set up in a small listening/TV room for a couple years. I have three Studio Monitor 55s across the front and Def Tech in wall bipolars for the surrounds (off the top of my head, I believe they are BI 5.5 BPS). I'm very happy with the speakers, but they being used in a small room. We are building a new house that will have a much bigger room (roughly 23' by 20') that we will be turning into a dedicated theater. Will my existing Def Techs be sufficient for the space when paired with a couple quality subwoofers?
With speakers it's the distance to the listening position that matters. If that's not going to change or change by much then your current speakers will be fine. If the distance increases a lot then you might benefit from a larger and/or more efficient speaker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts