AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
11,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctote /forum/post/19555934

Hey everyone - my theater will be about 15' x 20'. How many watts should I look at for a sub?

If your sub can produce 1 acoustic watt at 20 Hz (one meter free space), it's an incredible performer.

If your question is your trying to decide on a subwoofer based on the "watts" its amp delivers, you are in for quite the education on the forum.

For a start, what is your budget and the rest of the system?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
5000 jiggawatts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub /forum/post/19556017

If your question is your trying to decide on a subwoofer based on the "watts" its amp delivers, you are in for quite the education on the forum.

For a start, what is your budget and the rest of the system?

Ha, I know very little about this stuff. I've worked with computers for over five years, but this stuff is a whole new animal. I'm just starting, so thanks for the help!

My budget for the entire project (including drywall and everything included in finishing a 15' x 20' basement) is around $10,000.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctote /forum/post/19556199

Ha, I know very little about this stuff. I've worked with computers for over five years, but this stuff is a whole new animal. I'm just starting, so thanks for the help!

My budget for the entire project (including drywall and everything included in finishing a 15' x 20' basement) is around $10,000.

$10,000 for the whole schpiel isn't going to get you much past framing, wiring, sheetrocking and painting the room. Not to mention any acoustical isolation measures you might want to look at, plus room treatments, lighting, carpeting etc. Look in the Home Theater building section of the forum. It'll give you more of an idea of what I'm referring to. Most guys have $10K+ just in their electronics.(Not me, I can't afford it).

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/19556528

$10,000 for the whole schpiel isn't going to get you much past framing, wiring, sheetrocking and painting the room. Not to mention any acoustical isolation measures you might want to look at, plus room treatments, lighting, carpeting etc. Look in the Home Theater building section of the forum. It'll give you more of an idea of what I'm referring to. Most guys have $10K+ just in their electronics.(Not me, I can't afford it).

Depends on whether s/he has intentions of doing the work themselves, and the cost for framing, drywall, paint, carpet, etc is just materials. I finished a basement, two rooms totaling more than the listed area, for about $4000, doing everything myself, including electrical (yes, I wired to code). That doesn't include HT equipment, wall treatments, etc.

So for $6000 I could probably get a nice system set up and have a good budget for a subwoofer. Not fancy-pants system stuff, but sufficient for most folks.

So anyway, back to the question:

Actually "watts" of the amplifier can be misleading. What matters is the SPL produced at the listening position over the range of frequencies desired (usually down to at least 20Hz, some like to dig deeper to 15Hz or lower).

For the size of the room (less than 3000 cu ft, depending on ceiling height - let's assume 8' so 2400 cu ft), any of the "popular-at-AVS" subs in the $800 to $1200 range would be suitable. The new HSU VTF-15H, Epik Empire (oblig: I'm an owner of two), eD A7s-450, or Chase Home Theatre CS 18.1, would be likely a good selection. For a bit more $$$ a Seaton Submersive or CS 18.2 might be the way to go.

Read the reviews on AVS, especially the x vs. y comparisons: not necessarily to lead you to buy the "winner" of that shoot-out, but more importantly you learn what elements of SW performance might be important to you.

Anyway, to answer the original question as honestly as possible: look for a SW with at least 300W RMS continuous and 1200W short-term if you really want to focus on numbers. But really that part is probably the most mis-leading of any SW statistic, IMHO.

AFAIK, IMHO, YMMV,

shinksma

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
This question is certainly not as simple or straight forward as you had intended for it to be, and while $10k is a bunch of money and nothing to sneeze at; when you start breaking it down into a parts list for a home theater it does go quickly.

From my own experience of DIY remodeling two bedrooms and a bathroom in my own home you will blow through the $10k pretty quickly on an unfinished basement.

There is a forum dedicated to home theater where you can get some good input on how to construct the basement for the purposes of home theater.

Incorporating acoustical treatments into the construction could save coin and make a better looking room along with it being a better room for home theater use.

Do you have the $10k realistically divided up between the construction, furniture, and electronics ?

If so how much is budgeted for the electronics and what electronics do you need (TV / projector / screen, BD / DVD, receiver, speakers, sub) ?

If you already have some things you intend to use list them so people can make better recomendations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts