AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Im in the middle of working out a build for a HTPC. I would like to add a great audio system to my home theatre. In the future I will be adding a projector.

I dont really have anything else to plug in therefore would an amplifier be the way to go?

I always thought I needed an amp but I can see alot of people now use recievers. I have a 5.1 LG sound system with DVD player and I cant stand it. I am after something which allows manual adjusting of equalizers and speakers etc. My LG system has about 3 different sounds all pre-programmed. I want to stay clear of that if possible in my budget.

I dont have a big budget. Id like to spend on an amp about 500-700AUD. Plus no idea where to start with speakers!!! Hope you can please help. Thanks!!

Perhaps I need to spend more.eeek.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
For the money you want to spend its going to be a receiver. With just an amp you would also need something to control it. A pre-amp or pre-pro as they are called. Of course you could always buy a receiver that has pre-outs and add an amp to it later. For now though you need a receiver. It comes with amps. What brands and models sell for where you are I have no idea.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have been looking at recievers. Im just very unsure of what components I need with my HTPC.

Is there anything I should be looking out for when selecting? Is there a name for manual/digital equalizer or do I need to buy this seperately?

I am in Australia. I can see alot of Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo and Harman Kardon. If I was to go with the cheapest reciever (About 1000AUD) - Would the performance be good enough? I was even considering older model but would it be missing something that I need for HTPC (newer motherboards).

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,113 Posts
You have to pick a receiver which has the features that you want.

You also have to pick an audio card for your PC which has features that you want which match the receiver's features.

Some people prefer to use high quality analog output from the PC to the receiver's multichannel analog inputs. (This prevents use of the receiver's digital audio processing: it all has to be done in the PC.)

Others prefer to use a USB Digital-to-Analog converter to feed the receiver.

Others prefer to use S/PDIF (either RCA or optical) from the sound card to the receiver and DVI from the PC's video card to one of the receiver's HDMI inputs.

Others prefer to use component video from the video card.

Others prefer to use HDMI from the PC's sound card by way of the video card's HDMI connection to the receiver.

You'll have to decide which is the best path for you.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Of the brands you have listed each of them have their own version of a room EQ. With the Denon's and Onkyo's its Audyssey of differing types depending on model of receiver. The higher up the totem pole the better the version. With Pioneer its MCACC, which also has its lover's. On the H/K I believe its called EZ-EQ or something like that. Haven't read much about it. Most if not all of programs do not work with analog connections. They do work with the digital connections. Again not knowing which models you are looking into its hard to recommend a brand or model#.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.