AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to home audio and could use some advice for a home setup (room is like 12*15), looking to go kind of low-midrange quality, and was orginally thinking go for a soundbar+subwoofer for cost and simplicity.

I plan to get an AVR, but will that affect my sound plan? All the good soundbar reviews I find are for powered or for passive ones much more expensive than I'm looking to spend on the audio. ($250-400, but not a hard range if you have a good suggestion).

Given already having an AVR, my price range, and being ok with 2.1/3.1 audio (I'm doubting I can get quality surround in my price range), should I still go with a soundbar?

If so, can you recommend a good one?

If instead I went seprate speakers, do I need 2 or 3? I'm a little unclear how the center interacts with L and R when not surround.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey there,

I too am new to soundbars, but the beauty of a soundbar system is that you don't need any other equipment such as a receiver as everything is built in the soundbar it's self. I'm not sure how you would set up individual speakers as the soundbars also have built in software to process the audio and basically mixes it for the built in speakers.

If you do a little reading on this site you will find tons of reviews of the most popular budget soundbars around. A few off the top of my head that get good reviews are the JVC BA-1, Sony CT 100/150/350, Vizio 210...there are a lot available and all fall well within your price range. As far as quality sound that's really a personal thing, however you can get very good audio from these budget bars...but it's safe to assume they do not perform like top of the line Yamaha's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was originally thinking to buy the receiver to handle multiple video inputs, not just for sound...though my TV does have enough inputs built in I could possibly forgo it...

I was also originally going to just buy a pair of speakers too, then found out there was such a thing as a soundbar.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This post gives a good brief summary of JVC TH-BA1, Sony HT CT150, Vizio VHT 210, all http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post19453647

For any more details, best search through this forum and read other posts; I will just be repeating other people's words...

I myself recently purchased Aperion Slimstage30; I like it so far. It's $450 due to the current promotion. Another post I read prefers Polk IHT6000 (around the same price point), the author thinks the two are about the same.

If you want to spend any more, then IMO, you would be better off getting a receiver and a 5.1 speaker set. My guess is, such setup will be great, even if you only use 3.1 of it. However, I don't have any first-hand experience with this, nor have I read a review or post here comparing such setup with a soundbar.

IMO, for non-audiophile like myself, sound quality is quite personal, and the most important thing is you YOURSELF enjoy it; then it's money well spent, and nothing else, reviews, posts, specs, matters. Try to listen first before you buy, or take advantage of trial period or return policy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbles /forum/post/19582482

Aren't those ones listed active? I thought I need a passive one if coupling with an AVR?

Yes, those bars listed are active, and yes, you do need a passive bar if your going to use it with an AVR.

Perhaps you should tell us what you intend on hooking up to a soundbar,,,, your sources,,,, and why you are thinking about using an AVR ?

If you have a lot of source's you need to run then the Sony CT-150 or CT-350 would be your best option's, they have 3 HDMI inputs and other audio inputs as well.

Matter of fact the Sonys have more inputs than many AVR's.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd like to support my dvd player, a bluray player, cable, and a computer playing on the TV. I also wanted to get better sound than I get thru my basic TV speakers. I'd asked on a different forum about this, and they were the ones who recommended going the AVR route to hook everything up.

I was eying the Yamaha RX-V367 since it seems to have good reviews for the price range.

Then while trying to find a speaker setup to use I stumbled on the soundbar thing and thought getting 1 of those would be a lot easier than trying to pick and position 3 separate speakers when I don't know much about audio.

So basically I'm looking for hooking up the above inputs with clear dialog and decent sound quality, surround is optional. Is a passive soundbar the way to go? Drop teh AVR and use one of the Sonys? Or should I head to the speaker section and look up recommendations for separate speakers?

edit: Oh, I should note while it doesn't totally discount the active soundbar approach, I don't think I like the Sony style (I think it's the Sony...) that puts the remote receiver on the subwoofer. The position I was planning to place it would not be easily visible from the viewing area.

·
Registered
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbles /forum/post/19584035

Ack, you mean I need HD sound support even if not using a 5.1 setup? Man, this seems to be getting more confusing, not less :p

At this point its pretty ridiculous for a receiver to not have HD support. You can get a pioneer vsx-820-k for $220 that has HD codecs and all the features you would need.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Just reading the posts and your needs, either of the Sony soundbars would give you all of the connectivity you require and would probably be the equal of any receiver speaker configuration in the price range you are talking about. Probably better as most cheap speakers are exactly that and sound it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts