1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My introduction in the Boston owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnm410 /forum/post/20858223

I'm new to AVS and I guess I'll post a mini-introduction here. I'm Ryan 24 year old LSU student who stumbled on some Boston VR965's. That started the obsession. Today I'm sitting in a room the happened to be built close to just right for audio, with VR965's, broken mid-range VR920, paired to a Marantz SR9600, and HTPC. I am completely blown away by my mains and receiver. Oldies but goodies. I recommend that receiver. That being said, the reason I am posting here was to see if anyone could help me locate the mid-range speaker of a VR920 or if anyone knew of a service that could repair a voice coil wire break that's visible on the voice coil. Glad to be joining y'all. Hope to get some conversation started here.

I have a 2.5" (3"?) mid-range speaker from a Boston VR920 center, I recently just spent $50 to have a repair company tell me the same thing Boston corporate told me. I have some not so good pictures of the voice coil wire break, but for now the wire is broken on the epoxy of the voice coil, visible. I was wondering if anyone knew of a fix for this. Thank you

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
It broke right at the bend where it comes out from the VC? If so, you could try unwinding it some (1/2") and soldering on a small jumper wire between the wire lead and the VC wire, but that would be hard to do. Wind back as much as you can and add a tiny amount of high temp adhesive.

Hopefully we get some transducer engineers in here to go over what advice I gave and correct errors.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Well, you could always replace the voice coil. Custom one can be wound is original is not available. You won't like the cost. IIWY I would cut my loses now. Either find a used part or whole speaker. There is a pair on eBay now for $375.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.