AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first Blu-ray. I currently have an older model Panasonic 50 inch plasma. I do not have any available HDMI inputs on it. My current DVD is connected via component. It is useless to buy a Blu-ray without an available HDMI input or 1080p capable TV? If so, can anyone recommend the good 1080p Panasonic 50 inch plasma. How about a Blu-ray player recommendation as well?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnel /forum/post/15420541

I am looking to buy my first Blu-ray. I currently have an older model Panasonic 50 inch plasma. I do not have any available HDMI inputs on it. My current DVD is connected via component. It is useless to buy a Blu-ray without an available HDMI input or 1080p capable TV? If so, can anyone recommend the good 1080p Panasonic 50 inch plasma. How about a Blu-ray player recommendation as well?

If you are happy with your current set, Blu-Ray movies through component at 1080i will look MILES better than your current DVD's. The only thing you will lose is that you can't watch upconverted DVD's through component.

On a 50" plasma, unless you are watching it within about 8 feet, 1080p isn't going to make much difference anyway.

Panasonic BD35/55 and Sony S350/550 are all good players. The higher model of each will allow you to use analog 5.1/7.1 so you can use the lossless sound tracks. Of course this is assuming your receiver has a multichannel analog input, and that you don't have a newer one with HDMI audio decoding.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
When you say you don't have an HDMI input available, do you mean the TV has an input that in already is use? If so, you can always get an HDMI switch. I have an older Panasonic set with one HDMI input being fed by a switch shared by a cable box, HD DVD player, and BD player.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnel /forum/post/15420541

Walnel, we have a running thread for this type of question located here. LINK Try posting your questions there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.