AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the Enhanced Spyder3 which comes with CalMan, used it to calibrate my Panasonic 46G10. Started with the Basic calibration just to get my feet wet before moving to the intermediate and advanced. Using a current gen Sony BluRay player and the BD DVE disc for test patterns.

But two quick questions:

1. When setting the color and tint settings using CalMan and the Spyder 3, the instructions say to put the meter on a 75% magenta and then move the color and tint settings to minimize the delta E reading. However, when I nudge the controls to lower the deltaE, the "dot" moves further from the bulls eye on the screen. That is very confusing after just finishing working hard to center that dot in the bulls eye on the gray scale adjustments. I assume that the point of that tool is to let you know when you've "got it." But I adjust the color and tint right in the middle of the bulls eye, and the delta E is higher. I minimize the deltaE, the dot is way the heck out of range of the bulls eye. What am I missing?

2. Why does CalMan ask me what test pattern source I'm using? I expected, when I picked from the dropdown box the BD DVE disc as my pattern source, that the program would then instruct me to pick pattern X or Y from that source as it steps me through the calibration. Instead, it makes no reference at all to that disc/source. Why even ask and have it on the list?

Thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey /forum/post/16993309

Bought the Enhanced Spyder3 which comes with CalMan, used it to calibrate my Panasonic 46G10. Started with the Basic calibration just to get my feet wet before moving to the intermediate and advanced. Using a current gen Sony BluRay player and the BD DVE disc for test patterns.

But two quick questions:

1. When setting the color and tint settings using CalMan and the Spyder 3, the instructions say to put the meter on a 75% magenta and then move the color and tint settings to minimize the delta E reading. However, when I nudge the controls to lower the deltaE, the "dot" moves further from the bulls eye on the screen. That is very confusing after just finishing working hard to center that dot in the bulls eye on the gray scale adjustments. I assume that the point of that tool is to let you know when you've "got it." But I adjust the color and tint right in the middle of the bulls eye, and the delta E is higher. I minimize the deltaE, the dot is way the heck out of range of the bulls eye. What am I missing?

2. Why does CalMan ask me what test pattern source I'm using? I expected, when I picked from the dropdown box the BD DVE disc as my pattern source, that the program would then instruct me to pick pattern X or Y from that source as it steps me through the calibration. Instead, it makes no reference at all to that disc/source. Why even ask and have it on the list?

Thanks.

You might want to post this on the SpectraCal Support Forum (although someone over here might answer you as well).

·
Registered
773 Posts
1. Unless you have a full CMS, I probably wouldn't look at the overall deltaE '94 for colour. I'd be looking at the sections that you have control over. So for most displays, that's probably colour/tint.

Set colour off the deltaL '94 value for red, and set tint off the deltaH '94 value for magenta. (or cyan, depending on what you read)

2. If you go to Options > User Interface in the calibration window, there is the option to enable Verbose Mode.

If you turn this on, CalMAN will show pop-ups that describe what patterns to use and where they are on the disc.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The bullseye is based on dE uv ... not dE 76 or 94. If you are using dE 76 as the main dE ... then go by the number ... not the bulls eye when fine tuning.

regards

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerianne /forum/post/16999717

You might want to post this on the SpectraCal Support Forum (although someone over here might answer you as well).

That link doesn't seem to be working at the moment (I've tried to register a couple of times on their support forum and never get the activation email - not in spam either.) Hmm.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee /forum/post/16999785

1. Unless you have a full CMS, I probably wouldn't look at the overall deltaE '94 for colour. I'd be looking at the sections that you have control over. So for most displays, that's probably colour/tint.

Set colour off the deltaL '94 value for red, and set tint off the deltaH '94 value for magenta. (or cyan, depending on what you read)

2. If you go to Options > User Interface in the calibration window, there is the option to enable Verbose Mode.

If you turn this on, CalMAN will show pop-ups that describe what patterns to use and where they are on the disc.

Hmm. Have Verbose mode enabled, but no pop-ups - just the screens that tell me "If you are using the CalMan HTPC generator...."

·
Registered
560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey /forum/post/17004243

That link doesn't seem to be working at the moment (I've tried to register a couple of times on their support forum and never get the activation email - not in spam either.) Hmm.

If you still haven't been able to register I suggest you try again. I registered around the same time and they were having email problems. I finally sent them an email to the purchase confirmation address and Chris fixed the problem.

Ray

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock /forum/post/17029844

If you still haven't been able to register I suggest you try again. I registered around the same time and they were having email problems. I finally sent them an email to the purchase confirmation address and Chris fixed the problem.

Ray

Same here. I had to contact SpectraCal Support and they registered me manually, and I was able to access the forum. (Jeff, didn't say anything to you because I thought it was just me, so I assumed you could log on to the site! Sorry.)

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/16999852

Greetings

The bullseye is based on dE uv ... not dE 76 or 94. If you are using dE 76 as the main dE ... then go by the number ... not the bulls eye when fine tuning.

regards

Mike, does the CIE Gamut xy graph match the dE '94 bars, the CIE Target bullseye, the numerical chart? Do the dE '94 bars match the numerical chart?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

A question best left for Derek to Answer at Spectracal.

regards

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony /forum/post/17045285

Mike, does the CIE Gamut xy graph match the dE '94 bars, the CIE Target bullseye, the numerical chart? Do the dE '94 bars match the numerical chart?

The dE94 datafield and the dE94 LCH bar graphs are from the same data so yes they should match. The CIE target is based on uv.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee /forum/post/16999785

OK - I turned on verbose mode, but all I get with the pop-ups is "Set grey 30%" and similar very short notes. No mention of which pattern nor anything at all referring to the disc.

What else am I missing?

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey /forum/post/17089989

OK - I turned on verbose mode, but all I get with the pop-ups is "Set grey 30%" and similar very short notes. No mention of which pattern nor anything at all referring to the disc.

What else am I missing?

Jeff - You may want to read some of the How-To docs, as well. I'm not quite sure where you're lost to point you in the right direction.

Bill

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey /forum/post/17090032

OK, moved ahead to the gamut section and did get reference to the BD DVE disc - it said 100% Red go to pattern not available on HD DVE

Some disks don't have the typical title/chapter info like the DVE basics. Also DVE basics does not have any saturation patterns so that's why the message although we could word it a bit better.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith /forum/post/17092024

Some disks don't have the typical title/chapter info like the DVE basics. Also DVE basics does not have any saturation patterns so that’s why the message although we could word it a bit better.

Derek, speaking as someone who has worked with software developers for a lot of years (hope that doesn't sound pretentious - not meant to be!) I'd suggest that they go through the calibration process with someone not familiar with the software, using the BD DVE disc. What I am finding is that the patterns are probably all there (on the BD DVE disc,) they may just be in the Advanced Patterns section, but the guidance from CalMan when you're using the BD DVE is so generic as to be pretty useless. It would be pretty simple to have the pop-up box say "Go to Advanced Patterns - 75% Pluge with so and so" which is the actual title of the pattern. I.e. the specific patterns are there, and they have specific titles, but it feels as if no one actually went through the BD DVE disc and took the time to find the needed pattern and its title and insert it into the pop-up box. As it is, CalMan (in my mind) doesn't actually support the BD DVE disc as a source when various pop-up boxes tell you to go to "pattern does not exist on DVE"

Meant to be helpful, not whiny.

Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts