AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of selling my Toshiba 40H80 16:9 40" HDTV set and getting a Sony CRT projector. Anyone here have a Sony VPH1272Q Projector and if so, are they as good as they say they are?

I been looking on Ebay and there some nice ones. I've checked out some other dealers on the web like http://www.crtcinema.com and http://www.fowler.com/ too. Both are great, but need to see whom else is out there so I can compare. Are there any other dealers on this board too?

I'd like to get one with

·
Registered
131 Posts
There are several reputable dealers here on the Forum. You might do a search for Terry Ferentinos (Chuchuf is his username) or Curt Palme. Both are CRT sellers with impeccable reputations. Curt sends out a list every few weeks; he's located in BC.

Charlie

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does Curt or Terry have a website? I found Curt's phone number and left him a message. Hopefully I'll hear from him soon.;)

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have had a 1272 for 2 years now. I think it is a fantastic projector. With prices as low as they are now, You can't go wrong with one if buying from a reputable dealer. Mine has been trouble free (knock on wood)

You'll need at least a DVDO line doubler. I use a Draper Cinaperm 100" 4:3 wall screen. Nice screen to, washable and bright.

BE SURE YOU BUY FROM A REPUTABLE SOURCE!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Samshort
I have had a 1272 for 2 years now. I think it is a fantastic projector. With prices as low as they are now, You can't go wrong with one if buying from a reputable dealer. Mine has been trouble free (knock on wood)

You'll need at least a DVDO line doubler. I use a Draper Cinaperm 100" 4:3 wall screen. Nice screen to, washable and bright.

BE SURE YOU BUY FROM A REPUTABLE SOURCE!

Thanks for the information Samshort , i'm going to lookup for some line doublers on the net.:)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
you want to spend some time in the HTPC Forum before you purchase a doubler. You can getter better performance but at the cost of some convenience.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
try to get one wiyh under 2000 hours under 1000 would be better

XANATOS

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
PS check out the electrohome ecp plus units

they are a true bargain

XANATOS

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by xanatos
PS check out the electrohome ecp plus units

they are a true bargain

XANATOS

could you help me find one? do you know of any sites that sell them?

thanks,

Ranold

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
e mail curt he will take care of you

i dont sell projectors my self

if you try ebay only bid if they will take credit cards

that way if they rip you off you can do a charge back

are if they are close by and you can go take a look at it yourself

XANATOS

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I sold a Toshiba 56H80 and got a Barco Graphics 800. I prefered the Barco although if you want to achieve an image as sharp as the 40H80 on a screen from 7-8 feet wide you will need to go to a higher end 8" like a Marquee, Barco 808, Nec PG or XG to name a few. With the 1272 and its direct competitors you will notice a slight drop in overall sharpness (mostly due to screen size) and brightness.

Most of the CRT Forum members feel that the RPTV image is no good but we both know the truth. Those Toshiba HDRPTVs can produce a stunning image when set up correctly. After all they are basically the same technology as FP.

I recommend spending a few extra bucks and going for one of the PJs I mentioned or equivalent. If you do not then an upgrade will be in your future. As I stated the BG800 made me happy foe a while but I eventually upgraded to a Barco 808. Now I have the sharpness and brightness as well as the huge screen. (when compared to the 56H80)

Just my 2C

Steve

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your help and your insightfullness;) Your help has been greatly appreciated! I'll let you know how I make out.:D

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
ranold,

Read the beginner's guide to buying a used CRT projector in the link in my signature.

Happy hunting!

--Jerome

·
Registered
191 Posts
I recommend Hammerhead technologies for a used projector. I bought my NEC 6pg+ from them and received a good price.

Their website is www.hammerheadtech.com and hey sell through e-bay. Talk to Tim

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am using a 8' wide 4:3 screen, 113" diagonal.

Mine has 6700 hours on the green and red tube, brand new blue tube.

It still throws a very good image and runs like a clock, I use video out on my dvd player.

I do agree with Energeezer though, an 8" Barco would be far better and you would not be looking to upgrade for a long time.

http://home.insightbb.com/~y.kitchens/index.html

Gerald

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GeraldK
I am using a 8' wide 4:3 screen, 113" diagonal.

Mine has 6700 hours on the green and red tube, brand new blue tube.

It still throws a very good image and runs like a clock, I use video out on my dvd player.

I do agree with Energeezer though, an 8" Barco would be far better and you would not be looking to upgrade for a long time.

http://home.insightbb.com/~y.kitchens/index.html

Gerald

That Spiderman pic looks really good. Are you running your dvd player through a line doubler?

·
Registered
69 Posts
No I don't have a line doubler. I get an excellent image straight off the DVD video out. Im not even using S video.

We sit 17' away so the scan lines don't bother use. We do have a HTPC that we use once in a while. I run it at [email protected] and the pic is far better. But we rarely use it cause its a hassle moving it from room to room just to watch a movie.

Gerald

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
isn`t a 6x8 4x3 screen 120 inches diagonal

mine is

xanatos

·
Registered
688 Posts
[We sit 17' away so the scan lines don't bother use. We do have a HTPC that we use once in a while. I run it at [email protected] and the pic is far better. But we rarely use it cause its a hassle moving it from room to room just to watch a movie.

Gerald [/b][/quote]

Gerald,

Do you know that WalMart sell PC for $199 something like 800Mhz Celeron\\

Get yourself a Chirstmas present :)

Cheers,

Thuan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.