AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are about to move into our new house in a few weeks. I've always had Comcast but their "promotions" for new customers this time around was laughable. I am getting a great deal (at least I think) from DirecTV for pretty much all they have plus an HD DVR for $45/month for a year.

My question is, since I'm new is there anything I should be aware of for installation or make sure that certain equipment is included. I was really hesitant to get a dish since we just put a brand new roof on, but the monthly cost was just too good to pass.

Also, I still plan to get Comcast for Internet (their premium internet 6MBs was $42.95/month even for non-subs). I should have no issues having both correct?

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 /forum/post/15476131

My question is, since I'm new is there anything I should be aware of for installation or make sure that certain equipment is included.

Also, I still plan to get Comcast for Internet (their premium internet 6MBs was $42.95/month even for non-subs). I should have no issues having both correct?

You say you're new, but I see you have been an AVS forum member for awhile, I assume you mean to new to Directv. So I don't mean to offend you with this D* newbie advice.

The price you are getting for D* is probably an introductory price so check that.

D* and Comcast will probably not want the other provider on the same cable as their signal. I not sure if it is even compatible. That will mean seperate coaxial where both services are needed.

How many TV/s will you be hooking up to? If more than one you may want D* to provide you with the dish that has a single line coming in the home and then splits off to your receivers through the coax in the house. Remember, you need a D* receiver for each TV. This is cleaner than running a coax from the dish to each receiver and would be easier for future expansion if you have coax to most rooms.

I would ask for the newest model of HDDVR they have. Your getting it free, right? If you want other receivers for free, now is the time to ask for them. Since you are switching from cable they may be willing to give you boxes and they will probably let you try the premium channels for free for awhile.

The DVR needs an internet connection for VOD and a phone connection for PPV - I think...

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My brother has DirecTV and mentioned getting a SWM? Also, we just had a new roof put on our house so I'm not sure I want it installed there. I've heard the Dish can be installed other ways, are their pros/cons to not getting it mounted on the roof?

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 /forum/post/15478594

My brother has DirecTV and mentioned getting a SWM? Also, we just had a new roof put on our house so I'm not sure I want it installed there. I've heard the Dish can be installed other ways, are their pros/cons to not getting it mounted on the roof?

This might help

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=swm

If you have a clear shot at the sats, a side of the house under the eaves is good. If they do a roof top, I'd just make sure you have some type of sealant to seal the roof/dish interface so you don't get leaks.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan /forum/post/15478730

This might help

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=swm

If you have a clear shot at the sats, a side of the house under the eaves is good. If they do a roof top, I'd just make sure you have some type of sealant to seal the roof/dish interface so you don't get leaks.

So if you get one of these SWM dishes, does that mean you don't need receivers?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy /forum/post/15479261

The SWM allows you to run only one wire into the house. You will still need a receiver for each TV.

Ok thanks, that works better as we will be doing all the internal wiring. I ordered everything and having it installed on the 31st. That should give us enough time to hopefully finish our house.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
If you don't want the dish on the roof (not the best choice, anyway - the HD dish is huge), you can mount a 2" dia. pole in the yard. It doesn't have to be very tall at all, as long as it has a clear view to the satellites to the South. Just make sure it's a 2" dia. post and installed vertically plumb.

Local digital sub channels are seldom carried by D*. If you want to watch any of those, you'll need an OTA antenna. If you want to DVR them, you'll need an AM-21 OTA add-on box that integrates OTA & Sat channels into one seamless DVR guide.

Phone line and internet connections are not required, regardless of what they may tell you. One or the other is needed for ordering PPVs with your remote. The broadband connection is needed for video on demand. If you don't want the phone line connected, just tell them you don't have a landline. Period.

If not connected to a phone line, you can still order PPVs at the DirecTV.com web site. And by ordering online, it will allow you to watch the PPV on every receiver in the house. Ordering with the remote only unlocks it on the receiver you ordered it from.

You can also schedule DVR recordings on your main DVR, from the DirecTV.com web site.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/epg/theGuide.jsp

You do not have to have the main DVR connected to the internet or phone line to do this. All scheduling is sent to the DVR via your satellite dish.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It says in my order that I'm getting the slimline dish. I also called last night to make sure I get the SWM model.

What is the lease fee of $4.99 they're charging me? I called to ask but didn't really get what he was saying. Something about mirroring content to receivers?

Also, I ordered an Internet Wall kit do I really need it to get On-Demand?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
DirecTV charges a $4.99 lease fee for every receiver you borrow from them. They then give you a $4.99 credit for your primary receiver so it's actually free. (If you get 4 receivers you pay for 3 of them or a total of $14.97 for lease fees).

I'm not 100% sure what the internet wall kit is, but I think it might be their power line ethernet setup. It allows you to use your existing power wires to run the internet from your router to your DirecTV receiver. You run an ethernet cable from your router to one wall plug, and then run another ethernet cable from a different wall plug to your DirecTV receiver. If you already have ethernet available wherever you are using the DirecTV receiver you do not need this kit.

You have to have your receiver hooked up to the internet somehow in order to get On-Demand (it downloads the files off the internet, not through your dish).

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Beerstalker, you just saved me another $25. I plan to run 4 Ethernet cables to my home entertainment center once we get that far.

What model is the HD DVR? I wanted to research and get more info on it.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Rather than run 4 long ethernet cables why not run one cable and then install a switch in your entertainment center and run 4 short cables to your components? This is what I did. I have an 8 port gigabit switch in my entertainment center and I hard wired my PS3, XBox 360, Wii, HD DVD player, DirecTV HR21, and Denon Receiver all through it.

If you are getting an HD DVR it will most likely be an HR21, HR22, or HR23. The HR21 and HR22 are pretty much exactly the same, the HR22 is just a little newer and has a bigger hard drive. The HR23 is brand new and is only available in some areas. There are threads on all of them in the HDTV Recorders section.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=42

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would be easy but I'll need the gig switch in my PC room so I can do file transfers between my HTPC and my other PC.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Get 2 switches.

I have one 8 port switch in my bedroom next to the cable modem/router. I run ethernet out of the cable modem/router into that switch. That switch then has cables that go to my computer, and my DVR in the same room. I then have one long cable from that switch to the switch in my entertainment center in the living room.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 /forum/post/15487818

That would be easy but I'll need the gig switch in my PC room so I can do file transfers between my HTPC and my other PC.

If you have a router, you can run more than one switch from it. I have two 5 way switches running just fine from mine. The devices on the different switches communicate ok.

Dang, I type too slow.

·
Registered
962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw /forum/post/15483454

If you don't want the dish on the roof (not the best choice, anyway - the HD dish is huge), you can mount a 2" dia. pole in the yard. It doesn't have to be very tall at all, as long as it has a clear view to the satellites to the South. Just make sure it's a 2" dia. post and installed vertically plumb.

Local digital sub channels are seldom carried by D*. If you want to watch any of those, you'll need an OTA antenna. If you want to DVR them, you'll need an AM-21 OTA add-on box that integrates OTA & Sat channels into one seamless DVR guide.

Phone line and internet connections are not required, regardless of what they may tell you. One or the other is needed for ordering PPVs with your remote. The broadband connection is needed for video on demand. If you don't want the phone line connected, just tell them you don't have a landline. Period.

If not connected to a phone line, you can still order PPVs at the DirecTV.com web site. And by ordering online, it will allow you to watch the PPV on every receiver in the house. Ordering with the remote only unlocks it on the receiver you ordered it from.

You can also schedule DVR recordings on your main DVR, from the DirecTV.com web site.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/epg/theGuide.jsp

You do not have to have the main DVR connected to the internet or phone line to do this. All scheduling is sent to the DVR via your satellite dish.

There is a added charge to mount the dish on a pole in the yard. It is not considered a standard install. The charge could be as much as 100 dollars extra.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can you mount the pole in your yard (DIY) and have the DirecTV tech come and install the dish on their without paying extra?

·
Registered
962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTGuy09 /forum/post/15500408

Can you mount the pole in your yard (DIY) and have the DirecTV tech come and install the dish on their without paying extra?

Yes but you would have to get D* to waive the tech fee for coming out which I believe is $49.00.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan /forum/post/15478364

...How many TV/s will you be hooking up to? If more than one you may want D* to provide you with the dish that has a single line coming in the home and then splits off to your receivers through the coax in the house. Remember, you need a D* receiver for each TV. This is cleaner than running a coax from the dish to each receiver and would be easier for future expansion if you have coax to most rooms...

I currently have D* in my 20-year old home that was wired for cable TV when it was built, with an HD-DVR receiver in the living room for a 52" LCD HDTV. I am now considering adding a second HD-DVR in another room where I plan to buy a new, smaller HDTV set. I have a question about using the existing cable TV coax.

My question is whether I can (and if so, is it wise to) take one of the two coax cables coming from the dish and split it before it connects to the HD-DVR, and run the second split coax lead to the nearby cable TV box in the wall. Would doing so permit a second HD-DVR in the other room simply to be connected to the cable TV box in that room and get a D* signal (once the receiver is activated, of course)?

The two D* coax cables coming from the dish are entirely separate from the existing cable TV coax, I intentionally had the installer do that. The length of the existing coax between the dish and HD-DVR is about 75 feet. I should note that the cable TV box in the living room wall is not where the cable TV service enters the house; rather, that happens on the other side of the house in another room. Unfortunately, I do not know how the cable TV coax within the house was originally laid out.

The only service I currently have from the local cable TV company (Cox) is a cable modem for high speed internet service, which is located in a different room from where the new TV and second HD-DVR would be located. However, the cable modem is on a new, separate coax from the box near the street that was installed when I moved in solely for that purpose.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts