AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have searched and read and read and searched and cannot find a good answer to the entire problem. I find solutions for one part then the other but not both so I put it to you smart people to educate me.

I have 2 DirectTV receivers, each can control 4 tv's. I am also wanting to build an HTPC to RIP and play my DVD's both on my tv's and in my theater.

End result, capability to play any source on any tv in the house via the coax that is already in place and also play 1080p in the theater.

What I was thinking is tying the virtually 4 DTV sources into a rf modulator via the svideo and audio out on each receiver.

This is where I get stuck, I also want to be able to play movies at any tv.

If I build a NAS and 2 seperate pc's, one with svideo out and access to the NAS for anouth rf input and another to run the projector it will work; however, I would rather be able to do both on one PC.

Any thoughts? If I could output HDMI @ 1080p with audio injected as well as svideo @ 480p with audio outs from a single machine it would be great, but I do not know what video card/audio card combo I could do that from.

thanks,

Chad

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Unfortunately, at present there's no consumer method available to transmit an HD signal over the air (they keep promising but no product I'm aware of yet). You'll need a wired connection to transmit hi def. Typical ways are two CAT-5 cables with baluns, component cables, an HDMI cable, or optical cable. Gefen has stated they will have an HD to coax system available soon but I haven't seen that it's being sold.

You can, of course, transmit standard def video with an RF modulator. Modulators are available with more than one channel so you can transmit different programs at the same time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided I would do a PC to stream regular content to the rf mod and an HTPC for the theater.

Next problem is to find a tablet which has both IR and Wifi so I can control the tv locally as well as the remoted unit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts