AVS Forum banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Weekend project: pair of Atmos Volt-8 boxes for TM in the family room, they will be under the beam.
I’ve used neo magnets for grille attach before, this is first time I wised up and drilled from backside, saves some front finishing like I’ve done on other speaker projects. Live and learn.

Tell me you’ve never had this experience before .. you think the wood filler / epoxy is sanded nice and flat, then on one corner ... ugh The magnet barely shows, but you can see it and can’t live with it like that ...

Drill on backside ... with drill press won’t go thru front .

Test depth of hole

I modified the flat face drill , ground the original guide tip 50% shorter and put angle back on it

Worked fine on first 6, 7th I hit slightly too hard with 1/4 punch pushing the neo magnet down to bottom and slightly split the mdf baffle.
I had the baffle fully supported on backside when hitting the neo magnet down, just gave it a little too much umph.
It will be covered with veneer so hide the mistake .
These were put 3/4” from both edge, in retrospect I’d put them at 1 1/4” from both edges for future builds.

The volt-8 will replace the 1996 bipoles hanging on that beam .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing @mtbdudex
I always wondered how the magnets were installed. I’ll have to try this without a drill press.

What magnets did you use and what speaker grill are going to get?

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
If you don’t have a drill press I’d do it the old fashioned way, from front and then fill with wood filler / sand.

These from parts express, invoice a few years back.

There’s no grille I’ve bought, just old fashioned diy ... many methods
Here’s one way , thin board, cut it to suit, epoxy in magnets, wrap with fabric and staple from backside.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you don’t have a drill press I’d do it the old fashioned way, from front and then fill with wood filler / sand.

These from parts express, invoice a few years back.

There’s no grille I’ve bought, just old fashioned diy ... many methods
Here’s one way , thin board, cut it to suit, epoxy in magnets, wrap with fabric and staple from backside.

Thanks very much @mtbdudex
PE still carries those grill guides (magnets). This info will be handy when I get to that point in my build.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Building 4 volt-10 boxes for basement HT ceiling Atmos this weekend. I increased the distance to 1.5” from edge, all neo magnets went in without splitting the baffle.
The drill countersunk depth was a “skinny” 1/4” baffle left.
Drilled from backside as shown

Getting ready for 1st hard tap flush with 16oz hammer. I put mark on same side all magnets for orientation.

Flush after good hard tap.

Sunk in with punch

This is a lot faster than frontside method.
From last weeks volt-8’s, just paint baffle saves time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thank you for posting this! I’m pretty good with woodworking, but that is about it. I really want to give this a shot though.

My friend is a musician and an electrical engineer...I’m meeting him for beer this week. Maybe I’ll buy and then rope him in to helping me...

·
Registered
95 Posts
What are the rules to changing the dimensions of a pre-designed subwoofer build? Am I able to increase the width and height by a couple of inches for better spl?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
What are the rules to changing the dimensions of a pre-designed subwoofer build? Am I able to increase the width and height by a couple of inches for better spl?

No “rule”, its called DIY for a reason.

However, you will want to model at the new net volume to understand the effects.
A sealed box will be pretty straightforward, gain low end extension within driver excursion limits.
A ported will change port tune and velocity, modeling required.
More exotic alignments (horns, etc) should generally be left alone.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I need help with 1 thing.

So, I'm doing DIY "handheld" 4 speaker system and right now, I was doing some speaker case dimension calculations, but this 1 thing hit on my head;
Are those speakers too close to each others (about 2cm clearance on those corner ones), or is it fine? Does it affect anything, what/why?

I don't know basically anything about speakers, I am just electrical student who likes music and needs this done for school project.

Attachments

·
Registered
Pre/Pro: Pioneer Elite SC-63, Speakers: 3- Adam Audio GTC88's, 4 - Adam Audio GTC55's, planning to a
49 Posts
Good read. Thanks for putting the PPE towards the top. I think too many skip past those!
Great thread. Thanks for all the info everyone.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts