AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a JVC HD61G887. Everything is great with the set. The question i have concerns the plastic screen. When there is a good deal of white or light color on the screen you can see a pattern. The best i can describe it is it looks like someone rubbed oil on it. It is uniform throughout the entire screen. Is this a problem or is it just the texture of the screen? if it is normal is there a way to minimize this effect? You dont notice it at all in the darker areas of the screen.

Secondly, This set does HD from my DCT-6416 STB wonderful. The SD channels however dont look so good. Is there anyway to improve the SD picture thru settings?

Thanks for having me

·
Registered
83 Posts
You're seeing what's called the silk screen effect or SSE. It's light interacting with the texture of the screen. It's a characteristic of all rear projections sets though some sets reportedly show the effect more than others. Setting proper brightness and contrast levels with the help of a set-up disk like Digital Video Essentials or the Avia Guide to HT (a must do for the best picture anyway) will reduce the effect a lot from the way it looks in the set's default mode but not eliminate it. I just bought a JVC set also and am not sure if it's something I can get used to or not. Many people say that after awhile the just don't notice it unless the look for it. We'll see.

SD never looks very good on an HT set. I find that good strong SD signals are perfectly acceptable on my 56" JVC set from 9 feet away (although they are a bit fuzzy) but that poor noisy signals are unwatchable and look better on my old 36" crt standard tv.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelling /forum/post/0

You're seeing what's called the silk screen effect or SSE. It's light interacting with the texture of the screen. It's a characteristic of all rear projections sets though some sets reportedly show the effect more than others. Setting proper brightness and contrast levels with the help of a set-up disk like Digital Video Essentials or the Avia Guide to HT (a must do for the best picture anyway) will reduce the effect a lot from the way it looks in the set's default mode but not eliminate it. I just bought a JVC set also and am not sure if it's something I can get used to or not. Many people say that after awhile the just don't notice it unless the look for it. We'll see.

SD never looks very good on an HT set. I find that good strong SD signals are perfectly acceptable on my 56" JVC set from 9 feet away (although they are a bit fuzzy) but that poor noisy signals are unwatchable and look better on my old 36" crt standard tv.

Thank you, "silk screen" effect does describe it pretty good. I think probably the farther away you sit from the set the less noticeable it would be. I think the set is to big for the room i have it in but it was such a good deal i couldnt pass it up. I can get used to it i think as long as i know it isnt a problem with the TV.

Where might i get the products for tweaking you suggested?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.