AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I'm finally setting up my HT with a front PJ, I think I'd like to get my butt kicked for the first time in my life



I know what these bass shakers do (hey I've been to Universal as well), but I've no idea what equipment is needed.


My recliner type sofas are arranged in a ' U' shape around the screen. I want to fit a bass shaker to two of the three sofas ( a two seater and a three seater).


How do I go about this - and what makes are generally recommended ?


Do I need an amplifier and do I have to run cables to each sofa?

Is it one shaker per sofa or per seat?


Thanks...no doubt i'll have more questions...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtybutnice /forum/post/17008557


Now that I'm finally setting up my HT with a front PJ, I think I'd like to get my butt kicked for the first time in my life



I know what these bass shakers do (hey I've been to Universal as well), but I've no idea what equipment is needed.


My recliner type sofas are arranged in a ' U' shape around the screen. I want to fit a bass shaker to two of the three sofas ( a two seater and a three seater).


How do I go about this - and what makes are generally recommended ?


Do I need an amplifier and do I have to run cables to each sofa?

Is it one shaker per sofa or per seat?


Thanks...no doubt i'll have more questions...

Depending upon the particular unit you purchase, you will need some sort of amplification for the bass transducer. You would have to rely upon the manufacturer recommendations for wattage. You will need to install cabling to the sofa or chair for each bass transducer.


I recommend placing the bass transducers in the floor...then the floor and chair will vibrate....which is much more realistic. If you can not install them into the floor, you will need to install them on the chair/sofa.


If you are using something like the 'buttkicker' unit, you will be able to shake the entire chair/sofa with one unit. However, if you are using some other units such as aura, you may need to install two to four units.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doogie,


Does the amp go on the rack or near the sofas?


I assume that if it's on the rack, I have to run speaker cable from there to the sofas? If the amp's near the sofa, and I usa a wireless unit, then doe sthat do away with the wiring (other than from the amp to the sofa)?


Is the butt kicker a reliable unit?

What other makes should I consider?


Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,161 Posts
The best way to use the search engine is advance search, use the title seach only option and limit search words to one or two. Make sure the highlight the appropriate forum from the list to the right. In this case, buttkicker would be your search word. There is a ton of existing information on topic. If you just go through the first X pages of this forum you'll find a lot of your research taken care of.


In terms of wiring. You can go either way running the amp from the rack or next to the units...depends on your personal set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
I am not a speaker wiring expert but I went with the the recommended way as I understood from other AVS members (series/parallel connection per channel). I foundd a stereo amp that will support the needed wattage per channel at 4 ohms. In my set up, I went with a Behringer Stereo rack-mounted amp for around $200 or so where the first row was on the right channel, and the back row was on the left channel, using a series/parallel speaker wiring which conserved the 50 watt @ 4 ohms output per shaker (4 in the front and 4 in the back). The Auro Pro Bass Shakers are rated at 50 watts at 4ohms, and my stereo amp can do up to 200 watts per channel at 4ohms, so this was perfect for me where I was able to get the 50 watts for each 4 speakers in each row (200 watts per row).


Check out the three posts below for some valuable info...

Pictures showing how I wired my shakers underneath coaster showtime theater recliners

Explanation on how to wire shakers using Series/Parallel connection

Picture of mntmst's AV rack showing the Behringer amp he and I use (see pic - first component from the bottom)





.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtybutnice /forum/post/17010656


Doogie,


Does the amp go on the rack or near the sofas?


I assume that if it's on the rack, I have to run speaker cable from there to the sofas? If the amp's near the sofa, and I usa a wireless unit, then doe sthat do away with the wiring (other than from the amp to the sofa)?


Is the butt kicker a reliable unit?

What other makes should I consider?


Thanks

You would want to place the amp in the rack if possible. With the amplifier at the sofa location, you will still need to get outlet power to the amp.


I have used a buttkicker unit for approximately eight years without any problems... I also use a clark synthesis unit (rear seating) which requires less power- but does not produce the same deep bass effect.


Aura, Clark Synthesis, Bass Shaker .....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/17013644


The best way to use the search engine is advance search, use the title seach only option and limit search words to one or two. Make sure the highlight the appropriate forum from the list to the right. In this case, buttkicker would be your search word. There is a ton of existing information on topic. If you just go through the first X pages of this forum you'll find a lot of your research taken care of.


In terms of wiring. You can go either way running the amp from the rack or next to the units...depends on your personal set up.

My Bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie /forum/post/17015412


You would want to place the amp in the rack if possible. With the amplifier at the sofa location, you will still need to get outlet power to the amp.


I have used a buttkicker unit for approximately eight years without any problems... I also use a clark synthesis unit (rear seating) which requires less power- but does not produce the same deep bass effect.


Aura, Clark Synthesis, Bass Shaker .....

Thanks - that's what i'll do. It seems easier in my set up to run speaker cable rather than power to the seats for the amp. From what i've read the buttkicker uses justone transducer for the entire sofa rather than individual units under each seat?

So for my setup where i want to shake two sofas (3 and 2 seater), i'd need two buttkickerss and one amp?


I'm using an av receiver with a 7.1 speaker setup so i'll need anotehr amp just for the skakers. Question is, do I have to use their amp or can i get any amp? If any, what type of amp - just a 2 channel ?
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
3,532 Posts
naughtybutnice,


Yes, I would suggest to get 2 buttkickers and the amp. I would actually recommend getting BK-LFE kit (includes the amplifier, one BK-LFE, wires and the BK chair/couch mounting plate and isolators), and another BK-LFE. You ca also buy a separately second BK-CMAK (mounting plate) for the second buttkicker. This is the most economical way to do that.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top