AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out if I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 to work on my system and I am worried that I will not be able to.

Right now I have a SA 3100HD STB I have that connected to my TV vie composite cables. I have RCA cables going from the audio out on my TV to my surround system. The surround sound system is a 5 disk dvd changer all in one system. I get DD 5.1 only when watching DVDs. I am afraid that there are not the inputs on the surround system to carry 5.1 from other sources.

How is the 5.1 signal typically carried to the surround system? I am hoping that I dont have to buy a new Surround System to handles this.

Any help is much appreciated.

CB

·
Registered
81 Posts
The only way you can receive DD 5.1 from your SA 3100HD STB is to have a digital cable run from it to your 5 disc changer. Does your SA 3100HD STB have either an optical or coaxial output?? If not, then your out of luck!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well if it's an HD set top box it inherently would have the proper output. The key though is if his all in one receiver/disc system has the proper *input*. Be it either optical or coaxial.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to check the specs but I think it only has the AUX inputs on the receiver for standard RCA cables...will those work? If not is there an adapter I could use or is the receiver just not capable of handling the 5.1 from an outside source?

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
SA3100HD has a RCA digital audio output. You need connect this directly to your reciever. Also keep in mind, SA3100HD will only output through digital audio output when the channel you're viewing is using Dolby Digital. It will not convert analog audios into DD.

Your receiver must has a RCA digital input to receive DD audio.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I checked and I have a Pioneer HTD-510DV which on the Pioneer website says it has One Coax Digital In...can I get an adapter to go from the RCA digital out to a Coax Input In?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I know nothing about the Pioneer or the Sony. From what I've gathered here, the Sony has digital coax output (rca connector):
Quote:
SA3100HD has a RCA digital audio output
And the Pioneer has digital coax input (rca connector):
Quote:
Pioneer website says it has One Coax Digital In
If both of these is true, then all you have to do is run a rca coax connection between the two. Radio Shack has them or you can make your own. Then you must tell the Sony to output via the digital connection and you must tell the Pioneer to receive through the digital connection and you're all set.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigCB37
Ok I checked and I have a Pioneer HTD-510DV which on the Pioneer website says it has One Coax Digital In...can I get an adapter to go from the RCA digital out to a Coax Input In?
RCA, Coax are the same thing. No adapter is needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right...I get confused between that kind of Coax and the coaxial cable that that plugs into antenna inpits, like cable TV cable...

I'll try this out tonight, thanks for the help guys...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Same cable, different connector --> f-type (antenna/cable/etc) and rca (digital coax).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'm not sure if its working right or not. I was able to connect the STB to my receiver via the rca cable. However when I am listning to the digital feed it works fine in 2.0 but the one show that was on in 5.1 was not functioning porperly. All I heard was the surround sounds but no dialogue!

It may have been HBO that was the problem bc my system showed it as being 5.1. But it was weird I hope its not a real problem. I was watching Juwanna Man on HBO (only to test the 5.1 I swear) and there was crowd noise and musical score but no voices!

Any ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.