AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 52" JVC HD-ILA TV and also had Dish Network's HD package hooked up. I mistakenly assumed that since they carried local channels as part of their package, that said channels would be in HD. I was wrong and would like to hook up an antenna to pull them in before the football season starts.

I am looking at a Channel Master 4228. I am about 4-5 miles from the local transmitters and they are all within about 4 degrees of each other. I do have a couple of questions though.

Is this antenna more powerful than I need? If so will that cause reception problems?

What kind of cable should I run from the antenna to the TV? Should I go top end? What kind of connections do I use?

Lastly what internet sites do you feel have the best prices? I looked on Solid Signal and would be paying $87 for a 4228 and a mast with shipping.

Thanks

·
Registered
22,261 Posts
A 4221 will probably better suit your needs and be less expensive.

use RG6 coax for the cable run.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That close, have you tried a silver sensor or even a pair of "rabbit" ears? -- why not try that first being that you are so close to the towers. I am not saying that these will work but it can't hurt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator99
That close, have you tried a silver sensor or even a pair of "rabbit" ears? -- why not try that first being that you are so close to the towers. I am not saying that these will work but it can't hurt
I haven't tried that for this occasion. But two years ago before we got locals though the Dish, my reception off of an indoor antenna was not very good.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You don't want the 4228 at that range, it's possible to get too high a signal and overpower the input on the ATSC tuner. Give something like the SilverSensor indoor a shot if all your local digital stations are UHF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.