AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those are the same two models I had narrowed it down to . . .well, actually I was looking at the 56" models since that was the biggest that would fit into my designated space. After going to a few stores and looking at them, I ended up with the Toshiba since I like the picture better. The Panasonic didn't seem as bright. Go to a few stores and compare the images. Remember that the settings may vary wildly so it is best to play around with the settings a bit and/or go to multiple stores for comparison. I wanted to get the Panasonic since it could do 720p, but I just didn't like its image quality.

Re: Progressive scan

For progressive scan, you need to make sure the TV displays 480p material natively w/o upconverting it. I know the Tosh does this but check on the Panny.

Re: variations in digital signals

Well, neither of these systems has a receiver and it is the receiver that will handle the incoming signals, so you should be fine.

Re:VGA Do you plan to hook up a PC? I didn't, so the the lack of a VGA port didn't bother me. I think component is just as good as RGB for quality.

Now are you really Mr. Garriot or just a poser?

·
Registered
228 Posts
The Toshiba has 2 component input that both accept 480i, 480P and 1080i signal. No switching is needed. If you plan to watch HDTV and progressive scan DVD. The Toshiba gives you the capacity. I ended up with a 56H80. I figured for the same 7" picture tube, I can get better and brighter picture on a 56" than a 65". A 9" gun should fit better for a 65" TV. And of course I didn't get the 40" because they are too small

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Victor C:
The Toshiba has 2 component input that both accept 480i, 480P and 1080i signal. No switching is needed. If you plan to watch HDTV and progressive scan DVD. The Toshiba gives you the capacity. I ended up with a 56H80. I figured for the same 7" picture tube, I can get better and brighter picture on a 56" than a 65". A 9" gun should fit better for a 65" TV. And of course I didn't get the 40" because they are too small
Victor,

Thanks for your response - I found it very helpful. So you are saying that both the 56" and 65" versions of the Toshiba share the same 7" picture tube? Is the quality quite a bit worse on the 65" version because it only has a 7" gun instead of a 9"?

Also, I guess I should be taking in viewing distance into consideration?? My initial reaction is to just get the biggest damn tv I can get, but now I think that this huge tv might not look too good if I am too close... what is the recommended distance for a 65" 16:9 tv?

Thanks!

Lord British

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I too am getting close to taking the RPTV HDTV plunge. The old Pioneer SPD4565 has served me well for about 8 years. Never had to have a single repair and working great to this day. That is going to be a hard act to follow I think. I am very close to choosing the Toshiba 56H80. I like the Pioneer Pros but don't like the cabinet nor the price. I watch 80% DirecTV and the rest in DVD's. I have not been sold yet on the stretch modes which is what keeps me from just doing it now. I sit about 9 feet from the screen and from what I have seen in the showroom the HD is fantastic but the Satellite stuff is no better than my 8 year old RPTV. My dealer has the Sony line up as well. What is odd is the Sony looks much better on the analog feeds than the Toshiba but worse on the HD. Go figure. I wish something would come along that would just grab me. Anyone have any ideas or further suggestions?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi all... I'm moving into a new home shortly and I decided it's time for an HDTV setup... after doing quite a bit of research, I've narrowed my television choices down to the following:

Toshiba 65" TheaterWide HD Television - 65H80

or

Panasonic 65" HDTV Projection Monitor - PT-65WX50

I chose these two because I think they are a good value: 65" 16:9 HDTVs, and I found them for under $3000.

Does anyone out there have one of these TVs, or know anything about them? Basically, I am looking for a TV that will work well with a progressive scan DVD player (I have the Pioneer 603 in mind), and one that will work well with Dish Networks HDTV programming (I would be getting a 6023 receiver).

Is there anything I am overlooking in making my decision? Is it safe to buy one of these HDTVs now (i.e. will it be able to handle all the variations of digital signals in the coming years?) I noticed that some HDTVs have RGB input so you can use it as a computer monitor... these do not. Is this an issue? Does RGB output provide a better picture than HD component?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lord British

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.