·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You should be able to find the transmitter power for these 2 stations at:
http://www.transmitter.com/FCC98315/chanplan.html

I could not identify these stations myself with the info

you gave.

If the DTV power is quite high, and if you have absolutely a clear line of sight to the lake, you MIGHT be able to pull

in the 90 mi station with a giant antenna. I myself am

only 25 miles from the transmitters in Los Angeles, and I

had to go to a deep fringe UHF antenna. 90 miles would be

-11 db weaker if not for atmospheric attenuation, which will weaken the signal more.

If your STB includes an OTA signal-strength meter, you

could try taking measurements with a moderate antenna before

investing in a big one (better yet a pair).

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am 70+ miles from Milwaukee over land and I am able to receive the two channels in Milwaukee pretty reliably most nights. I have a Radio Shack VU210 on a one-story house with mast mounted amp. I have even been able to get them with my smaller antenna. Unfortunately PBS is on VHF Ch8 and WTMJ is on UHF Ch28 or you could get by with only a high quality UHF antenna.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
thomasb-

Thanks for the link! Are all of the stations listed currently in operation? WZZM is channel 39 and WOOD is 7, FYI. How about that, a Muskegon channel! I'm really excited now!

Thanks for the replies.

-Mike

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thomasb:
You should be able to find the transmitter power for these 2 stations at:
http://www.transmitter.com/FCC98315/chanplan.html

So...from that link I found the following:

CINCINNATI 5 35 1000.0 305.0 31943 3036 27785 2835 0.0 0.0 99.4

That means DTV covers 31943 sq. miles (a square 178 miles on each side). It broadcasts at 1000kW and I'm 90 miles from the tower. So...I'd stand a decent chance at picking up a signal with an antenna on the roof?

------------------

Later...

Jerry D. Turner

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NightowlKY:
So...from that link I found the following:

CINCINNATI 5 35 1000.0 305.0 31943 3036 27785 2835 0.0 0.0 99.4

That means DTV covers 31943 sq. miles (a square 178 miles on each side). It broadcasts at 1000kW and I'm 90 miles from the tower. So...I'd stand a decent chance at picking up a signal with an antenna on the roof?
That's km, not miles... and I think your figures are off. Pi*(r**2)=Area of a circle (assuming that the coverage is a perfect circle...). That means that anywhere within about 101 km you should be able to get the signal. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Mike

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not all station are transmitting DTV at full licensed power. I know of several that are not, either from equipment problems or not fully committed to it. (Doing it on the cheap.) You will also find that many stations side-mounted their DTV antenna on their analog tower rather than constructing a new tower or expensive work on the top that would have had them reduce power or shut down their main feed during construction. Side mounting means that the antenna is lower than their main antenna, and if you are on the back side of the tower form the antenna, it will block some of the signal as well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Can you receive analog OTA signals from these two cities? If so, you should be able to receive the digital signals assuming that the stations are attempting to replicate their analog coverage area. You are definitely in the "fringe" receiving area but considering your signal path is over water, at least you shouldn't have any terrain obstructions in your way. Hopefully, the broadcast transmitters are locate HIGH on the tower.

don't forget to go to www.antennaweb.org for antenna recommendations for your particular location.

Quote:
Originally posted by wireburn:
I am expecting delivery of my DTC-100/oval dish any day now. I am hoping some of you can share your experience in pulling in OTA over long distances. Where I live in Muskegon, MI there are exactly two HDTV towers within receiving distance according to antennaweb.org, WZZM (ABC) and WOOD (NBC). I'd like to have more options, but I'll settle for these two plus HBO-HD for now if I have to.

What I'd like to know is if I have a prayer at pulling in Milwaukee and/or Chicago across lake Michigan. Milwaukee is 90 miles across the water, Chicago is 120.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mlewie:
Can you receive analog OTA signals from these two cities?
I don't have any antennae installed at this point...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live about 5 miles west of the WOOD tower in Wayland. Of course I receive that. Most of the time I can get WLNS from Lansing, even though they do not yet have their permanent transmitter completed. They are 63 miles from me. Last week I was able to pick up three of the higher power stations from Detroit, the NBC station from Milwaukee 28-1, and ABC, NBC, WGN, and the Spanish station from Chicago. All of these are around 120 miles. I can also get WNDU from South Bend. This is about 75 miles. I'm not getting these consistently, but I am only using a CM 4248 without a pre-amp.

Antennaweb.org is showing WZZM as broadcasting digitally. This is not true. When I emailed them earlier this year they replied they would not be doing anything until the deadline next year.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wireburn:
That's km, not miles... and I think your figures are off. Pi*(r**2)=Area of a circle (assuming that the coverage is a perfect circle...). That means that anywhere within about 101 km you should be able to get the signal. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Mike

Ah...yes...read that chart wrong. I'm about 145km from the tower which would be iffy, then, eh? But, reading reports up here of people picking up signals from that distance and more made me a bit optimistic.

------------------

Later...

Jerry D. Turner

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cmcbrien:
I live about 5 miles west of the WOOD tower in Wayland. Of course I receive that. Most of the time I can get WLNS from Lansing, even though they do not yet have their permanent transmitter completed. They are 63 miles from me. Last week I was able to pick up three of the higher power stations from Detroit, the NBC station from Milwaukee 28-1, and ABC, NBC, WGN, and the Spanish station from Chicago. All of these are around 120 miles. I can also get WNDU from South Bend. This is about 75 miles. I'm not getting these consistently, but I am only using a CM 4248 without a pre-amp.

Antennaweb.org is showing WZZM as broadcasting digitally. This is not true. When I emailed them earlier this year they replied they would not be doing anything until the deadline next year.
This is encouraging news! I was considering the 4248 myself, but I'm going to need a VHF antenna to pick up WOOD, right? Should I go for a nice, big combo aerial or separates?

Thanks,

-Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm so close to WOOD that I didn't need a VHF antenna. I'm sure you will, though. You'll have to ask the experts. I just followed everybody's recommendation for the 4248. I'm glad I did. Now I just need to pick up a pre-amp. I was able to watch Everybody Loves Raymond out of Lansing tonight. I would love to get rid of the occasional drop-outs.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I am expecting delivery of my DTC-100/oval dish any day now. I am hoping some of you can share your experience in pulling in OTA over long distances. Where I live in Muskegon, MI there are exactly two HDTV towers within receiving distance according to antennaweb.org, WZZM (ABC) and WOOD (NBC). I'd like to have more options, but I'll settle for these two plus HBO-HD for now if I have to.

What I'd like to know is if I have a prayer at pulling in Milwaukee and/or Chicago across lake Michigan. Milwaukee is 90 miles across the water, Chicago is 120.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.