AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting an HDTV and am looking for some opinions. I know... there are probably tons of threads like this one, but it is easier to ask when I can put stuff into my own words, so here goes....

I am looking for an HDTV that is at least 50 inches and I would love to get one that is around 57 inches.

I would really like the unit to have a DVI input... though I can only see the option of using it for my computers output... is there another reason for this? Do the DirecTV HDTV units have that output?

The price that I am looking for is around 2000 - 2500 (I would like to stay lower just cause I want to buy a few other things for the whole system)

OK and my final question... The speakers that are on the front of these look pretty good (large), but I am planning on using a surround type of system. Would there be a way to integrate these at all into the system or are they going to be useless when I start using my receiver?

Oh and on the topics of surround sound... do you guys like to use floor standing speakers for your front right and left speakers in your setup, or would you recommend something else?

I really appreciate any and all of the advice!

PS - I usually like Sony a lot if that helps... though I am more than willing to hear other options!

THANKS ONCE AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
airedale,

Here are a couple of your answers...

If you are going to want a tv with DVI then it would make sense to get a STB (Set top box) that has DVI output.

DVI allows a stright digital signal from the STB to the tv without any compression.

If you are looking for DVI then don't look at Mits. The top of the line Tosh. have it HDX82 models and some Hititach's.

DVI on the tv is input and does state it is not to be attached to a computer

Then you can plan on spending $350-800 (ballpark) on a STB. Are you going to have Cable or Direct or just the local tv stations. I think the least expensive model with DVI and DirectTV is the Sampsung TS160(Mine works great). Others include the Sony200 (more expensive)

Terps in HD vs Floridy tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TerpFan

Terps in HD vs Floridy tomorrow!!! [/b]

Get ready for the Gator Nation and an upset in College Park! ;)

Frank

Gainesville, FL

(working a stone's throw from the O'Connell Center and even closer to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium)

·
Registered
505 Posts
For TVs, the main issue w/ DVI is to be future-proof. The current outlook is that premium cable/sat content will likely require DVI/HDCP (DVI w/ HDCP copy-protection) for full HD resolution. There's good likelihood that you will get such premium HD content downconverted to 480p if you use analog component. Same will likely happen for HD-DVD whenever that becomes a reality.

However, if these are not real concerns for you in this particular purchase, then your choices will increase to include some very good values in RPTVs like the Panny 53", which can be had for $1500-1600. That's what I bought. With the savings, you could get ISF calibration ($300-500) to make the TV look as good as any other RPTV "out-of-the-box" that might cost $4K+. You could also spend the $$$ on a better surround sound system, which you did mention. There are, of course, other considerations to factor in.

Even if DVI is a concern, you should know that not all TVs w/ DVI come w/ HDCP built-in. Some will require upgrades (ie. more $$$).

Finally, I would recommend strongly against integrating the TV's speakers into your surround system. They will inevitably be inferior to most anything you'll get for your system. Also, they are rarely easy to integrate. Just spend the money on a matching center speaker OR even go w/out one if your front mains can do a good job for phantom center--that's what I do. If you decide you don't need DVI and can go w/ something like the inexpensive Panny 53", that will help your sound system budget a whole lot.

Oh, if you can afford it, then get good floorstanding speakers for the front mains. Floorstanding units will generally give you better bass extension although they may sacrifice a little in clarity. Depending on your budget, it might be better to just stick w/ bookshelf-size monitors and get a good sub instead.

_Man_

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I guess I have a few questions then...

What exactly does ISF calibration do and also what exactly is HDPC? Is that like the set top box?

I am excited about getting into this, but I am fairly new to it (can't be a jack of all trades w/ out starting somewhere, right?)

·
Registered
59 Posts
As far as sound goes. I use a dedicated center channel, floor standing speakers for left and rights, book shelf speakers for surrounds and a subwoofer.

What you get depends on space and buget. Generally it's a good idea to buy a matching set of center and mains at they will all match. This is important when it comes to effects that pan across the front speakers. The effect will seem smooth and natural when the speakers match.

Don't ignore your center speaker, as it turns out it's one of the more important speakers for home theater.

Sony speakers? I've heard that they aren't great. But I've never demo'ed them to know.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at two Sony units and I am trying to figure out what the differences are... The two model numbers are:

KP57WS500 vs. KP57WS600

·
Registered
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by airedale
Ok, I guess I have a few questions then...

What exactly does ISF calibration do and also what exactly is HDPC? Is that like the set top box?

I am excited about getting into this, but I am fairly new to it (can't be a jack of all trades w/ out starting somewhere, right?)
ISF calibration will setup and fine tune your TV to perform at its optimum best. TVs typically come way off from their best out of the box although the more expensive ones come closer to their best, eg. Pioneer Elites. However, if you're handy at tweaking your own TV, you can probably do most of the fine tuning yourself to get very good performance. Somethings will still require special equipment to do properly. A lot of enthusiasts in these forum sites do their own tweaking and sometimes hire an ISF guy also. For some great info on this stuff, check out this cool site:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm

As for HDCP, that's a copy-protection encoding scheme that's being adopted for use via DVI.

_Man_

·
Registered
449 Posts
Take a very, very serious look at the Toshiba 57HDX82 .. it can be found for ~ $2400-$2500 .. meets all your criteria and is IMHO the best set in this price range.

You could go hitachi but at the same price point you will be hard pressed to get the 51" SWX ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
fpulliam,

Your Gators outplayed my Terps. It was still great to watch. Got the HD set last week and had about 15 people over to display a HD broadcast.

Eventhough most people will disagree with me...I still think you need to view the picture at a store. You need to see which displays a cleaner image.(Sony,Panny,Tosh or Hit)...I know you are seeing a out-of the box television and not one that is tuned.

Terps not on HD for a long time....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TerpFan
fpulliam,

Your Gators outplayed my Terps. It was still great to watch. Got the HD set last week and had about 15 people over to display a HD broadcast.

Eventhough most people will disagree with me...I still think you need to view the picture at a store. You need to see which displays a cleaner image.(Sony,Panny,Tosh or Hit)...I know you are seeing a out-of the box television and not one that is tuned.

Terps not on HD for a long time....

It was indeed a good game. I bet it was even better in HD! :)

Frank,

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the input -- I am really trying to learn all of this before I go out and buy. I want to make as much of an informed decision as I can.

Also how much do you think these TV's will go down in price after the Super Bowl? I heard that they do after it.

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by airedale
Thanks for all of the input -- I am really trying to learn all of this before I go out and buy. I want to make as much of an informed decision as I can.

Also how much do you think these TV's will go down in price after the Super Bowl? I heard that they do after it.

Thanks
This is a good point to raise right now. I've been seeing some offers on the Panny wx52 I'm looking for. Would I be best off grabbing a pre-xmas sale, a post-xmas sale, or (a catagory I've just heard of :eek: ) a post-super bowl sale?

Thanks

·
Registered
505 Posts
OR you can do some haggling to see if you can't get the TV for much less than advertised.

I've seen plenty of posts about people doing that lately. I doubt you'd do better than they did after the Super Bowl. I just bought a Panny 53wx42 myself a couple weeks ago.

BTW, while on the subject of the Super Bowl, it's really too bad that we still can't get ABC HD OTA here in the NYC area. :( Would've made an awesome SB party at my house w/ the new TV. Guess I'll have to wait another year for that.

Now, if only the YES network would offer HD broadcasts for them Yankee games next year...

_Man_

·
Registered
32 Posts
Grrrrrr!

Don't get me started on the YES network! Because of those dopes and the dopes at Cablevision, I'll probably end up with cable and satellite this summer!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know about the prices dropping after the superbowl. Here in Washington, DC our affiliate does not show HD. My opinion is that once you buy and you have gotten a good price then when the TV drops a little it is really not that much. If you do your homework and get a good deal. Also if a price really drops, most places will pricematch within 30 days. Even a store like Tweeter-Best Buy-CC.

Good Luck

TerpFan.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If the decision was to wait between a month from now or 3 months then the whole 30 day argument goes out the window...

Plus I bet you they keep up those prices before the superbowl. Also if you aren't scared about open item things... I bet you that they will have a bunch after the superbowl ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.