AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a three year old Pioneer SD-533HD5. I was wondering what was the best way to HDTV? I have comcast in my area and they have no plans to upgrade my area anytime soon to HDTV. So, I was thinking of going satillite but, I'm not sure which one is the better way to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Wade

· Registered
6,557 Posts
I'll assume that a Pioneer SD-533HD5 is a HDTV compatible Television set. Let me know if I'm wrong.

If your cable doesn't offer HD, then you can get it via OTA (over the air) antenna. Most HDTV Satellite boxes have two inputs, one for their satellites, and another for your local OTA channels. They then mix the two together in a single channel line up. That way you can watch your local Network Affiliates (NBC, CBS, ABC, WB, FOX) via OTA, and then get your nation stuff (HBO, SHO, ESPN-HD, DiscoveryHD) via the satellite.

Both satellite services are fairly equal at this time. E* (Echostar or aka DishNetwork), D* (DirectTV) are the two to look into. D* has better hardware. E* appears to have better capacity. A new satellite service V* (Voom) is supposed to launch in the next few weeks.

Keep reading all you can in these forums and you'll learn a lot.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bob. Ilive in the South suburbs of Chicago and it seems like with that information there is quite a bit of HD to view.

Another question though. With the price of OTA tuners wouldn't it be wise to get satellite as well as that receiver does both?

· Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WCunha
... With the price of OTA tuners wouldn't it be wise to get satellite as well as that receiver does both?
IMO, yes.

Best equipment deal going right now is from DirecTV. Have a free basic system installed from any local retailer or satellite installer. After they leave, call 800 DIRECTV and order the $399 HDTV package. D* will setup installation of an HD DirecTV/OTA receiver to replace the standard receiver that was just connected to your HD set.

Your only commitment for all this will be to keep DirecTV basic and possibly the HD package for at least 12 months.

For OTA channels, all you have to add is an over the air antenna. Look in the Local Info & Reception threads for the best antenna for your local area.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks arxaw. What if I wanted just to start out with the HD w/ D* and a basic system another TV in the house. So, it would be one basic and one HD set up. Do I need a separate antenna for local network HD programming?

Thanks, Wade

· Registered
10,880 Posts
Yes. You need an OTA antenna for local OTA digital stations.

The cheapest way to get what you want is to order basic 2-room standard def DirecTV system (usually free). After the install is finished, call D* and order the $399 HD special for your HDTV. This will get you a replacement HD box and any needed DirecTV hardware installed on a subsequent visit. OTA antenna installation is extra, and not all DirecTV installers do OTA.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again arxaw. This information has been very helpful. How long does it take to get the upgrade from them? Does the new hardware include the three lnb elliptical dish?

· Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WCunha
... Does the new hardware include the three lnb elliptical dish?
If your initial install doesn't include a 3-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish, it will be installed with your HD box.

FWIW, all free basic standard def DirecTV systems in my area are installed with the new 3-LNB multi-sat dish. That may be because our upcoming locals will require a multi-sat dish. Y M M V

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.