Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my HDTV two weeks ago, yippie.

Anyway, I'm still on standard cable from Cox in the Omaha, Nebraska area. I was wondering if i purchase a HDTV STB and activated the service with Cox, if i would be set?

Any equipment i should look at purchasing?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
If you want HD from Cox cable you need to get a box from them rather than buy an stb. Cable systems use a different method of transmitting the signal called QAM, and stbs you buy yourself won't handle it.

I'd suggest you call Cox Cable in your area and see what if any HD they are offering and what's involved in getting the service from them.

The STBs you buy yourself are of two types--OTA only which gets it's signal from your local stations over the air from an antenna, and Satellite HD capable, in either DirecTV or Dishnetwork. The latter can tune local ota as well as the respective satellite channels.

A new satellite service called VOOM, owned by Cablevisions, should hit the market in the next month or so only at Sears stores. It will have a bunch of HD channels exclusive to that system, proprietary wallpaper channels from what I can see, as well as the same 7 or so the other satellite companies carry.

·
Registered
49 Posts
> I was wondering if i purchase a HDTV STB and

> activated the service with Cox, if i would be set?

If you're thinking getting HDTV cable then the cable company will provide the proper equipment for you.

If you're thinking of OTA HDTV, then you may get it for free just like you would with analog -- provided you live in an area with good digital signal.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eknoo
> I was wondering if i purchase a HDTV STB and

> activated the service with Cox, if i would be set?

If you're thinking getting HDTV cable then the cable company will provide the proper equipment for you.
Not necessarily. In many Cox service areas, you have to buy the STB they specify.

Call Cox and find out the local policy, and available HD channels.

For other local DTV, go to www.titantv.com and see what's available in your area.

For DBS HDTV, see the HDTV Programming Synopsis for details.

After that, you should be able to make a decision.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Not necessarily. In many Cox service areas, you have to buy the STB they specify.
It's hard to believe that a cable company requires customer to go out and buy the STB without at least providing a basic/standard equipment to the customer.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
"It's hard to believe that a cable company requires customer to go out and buy the STB without at least providing a basic/standard equipment to the customer."

Yes, I guess it's called "being a early adopter" I still waiting for Cox to offer Hi-Def in my area, have heard that I too will have to purchase a receiver. They have just missed another rollout date (3rd or 4th time now?). Obvious they do not have much faith in their product, assuming that it would be too easy for one to first try their box, and then send it back and purchase a "D" setup. They probably figure that they would have spent enough money on the conversion, why also absorb the cost of STB equipment also, until demand is higher. I don't blame them.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Yeah In Northern VA. If you want HD, You have to go to Best Buy or CC and buy the HD STB. Cox will not rent you one. They do have a few grandfathered early HD customers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I heard Cox was testing the market by renting HDTV STBs in some areas and having customers buy them in others. We have had to buy them in Northern VA since July.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Yeah, I just got the rental SA3100HD from Cox this Monday(Sept. 22). SA3100HD is a piece of crap. I can't believe anyone would spend $500 to buy it. There are only two broadcast channels (ABC and NBC). This really doesn't worth the $$ I have to pay monthly ($20+ extra per month include Discovery HD). I'm seriously consider switch to OTA HDTV, especially that LG receiver looks promising.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I just exchanged email with Cox in Omaha about a similar thing. I saw Zenith has a HD TV with a build in Digital cable tuner (QAM?). I asked them if it would work. They said that the Local HD channels on digital cable are not scrambled so the HD TV (with the built in digital cable tuner) would get the local channels. BUT you would not get the HD HBO, etc because they are scrambled. You have to have the external box that plugs into the digital cable box to get those. What a mess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.