AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and thinks it is fabulous!

I'm ready to enter the realm of HDTV.I bought a 61 inch Sammy dlp and already own a Hugh's gold edition satellite receiver. My question is what is the next logical step towards HD. What are my best component options

Unfortunately my old stereo will have to do for now, it has digital capability.

Looking forward to any suggestions or recommendations.

THNX

glombo

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I assume you are a DirecTV subscriber - if so you can get the HD box from them for $399 less extra rebate depending on how long you have been a subscriber (people subscribing over 2 years are getting it as low as $99). See the thread in this forum title DirecTV $399 deal.

The DirecTV receiver will give you all of DirecTV available HD. It will also allow you to hook up an antenna to pick up any over-the-air HD you may have in your area.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I assumed from the receiver you were.

The first big way to get into HD is a receiver/antenna. This will get you just the networks and as you have to use an antenna it can depend on your location and if/when the local channels begin broadcasting in HD. There are 2 types of receivers - ones that will receive antenna and satellite HD and those that will receive antenna and cable HD (catch on this is only unscrambled cable HD and cable companies have been scrambling some if not all of their HD channels - requiring the box from the cable company which just decodes cable HD no antenna).

To get more than just local networks you need to go to cable or satellite (adding HD ESPN, HD Discovery, HDnet (satellite), HDnet movies (satellite), INHD (cable), INHD2 (cable), HBO, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX HD etc.

RE: HD cable. There is a thread here which should give you an idea if it is available where you live or not. If it is available it is a good option right now as the cable companies are starting to carry the local HD channels - so you don't need to have an antenna. HD cable is also good to start because you can rent the boxes for less than $10/mo.

I have no idea where you are so I can't tell you much about getting HD via antenna. But with both DirecTV and Dish unless you live in a city where the network owns the local station - you have to use an antenna to get the network HD feeds (which hooks to the DirecTV or Dish receiver).

If your cable company doesn't have HD or not good alternatives. Then you can subscribe to Dish or DirecTV. Dish I believe is giving out HD receivers for nearly nothing (check the Dish threads I'm not up to speed). With DirecTV you can sign up as a new subscriber (if you do I definately recommend getting a DirecTivo as one of your receivers - less than $100). Then once subscribed and they install call DirecTV and they can then upgrade you to the $399 HD deal.

I mentioned the Tivo units as they are great - the best yet is coming out in a couple month - a DirecTivo HD unit - but it will be almost $1000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.