AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate and I just purchased an open-box Panasonic 50" G10. Overall, we have been very impressed with our purchase. I just had two quick questions for you guys.

1) We have been working on break-in procedures (proper settings, full screen content only, nothing with a HUD or station logo, etc).

After using the TV for a total of 6 hours over the last 40 or so hours (no more than 2 minutes spent in any one menu) - I turned off my dvd player only to find some image retention on my screen from the disc's menu.

After a second or two of initial freak-out, I calmed down. However, I was curious. I know that during the first 100-200 hours of use the chemicals are more susceptible to image retention and/or burn-in. I just wasn't expecting it to be quite THAT sensitive. Is that normal, or uncommon?

2) I have been somewhat baffled by the whole aspect ratio thing. Why is it that my 16:9 television can not play 16:9 (or anamorphic) content in "just" mode without producing black bars at the top and bottom still?

Is there any way around this other than using the "zoom" setting (which loses you 10-15% of the image on the top and bottom)?

Thanks a ton for the help guys!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Well, although one member will tell you it's residual discharge, the rest of us will call it image retention.

Depending on your settings, these plasmas are more sensitive to IR when new. Umm, I hope you weren't misguided by some of the advice here about Panny not sensitive to IR? Anyway, I wouldn't stress about it. In time your set will get more IR resistant as is the case with other brands.

·
Registered
626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul /forum/post/16917845

Well, although one member will tell you it's residual discharge, the rest of us will call it image retention.

Depending on your settings, these plasmas are more sensitive to IR when new. Umm, I hope you weren't misguided by some of the advice here about Panny not sensitive to IR? Anyway, I wouldn't stress about it. In time your set will get more IR resistant as is the case with other brands.

Pannys are the most resistant brand to IR out of the three.

·
Registered
626 Posts
40 hours is still pretty new.

As far as the 16:9, if you are watching an HD station in SD it will display a lot of the times as 16:9 in 4:3 and then the "cable box" will stretch it, so it ends up being 16:9 stretched in 4:3 stretched to 16:9 and therefore have black bars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch /forum/post/16917868

40 hours is still pretty new.

As far as the 16:9, if you are watching an HD station in SD it will display a lot of the times as 16:9 in 4:3 and then the "cable box" will stretch it, so it ends up being 16:9 stretched in 4:3 stretched to 16:9 and therefore have black bars.

Ahh, thank you. That makes a bit more sense.

What about for DVD's though?

·
Registered
222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul /forum/post/16918057

Oh I believe you. Pannies get residual discharge instead, and that occurs as often on a Panny as other brands get IR

No, Panasonics don't get any of that, I promise, I'm a professional.

That said, all the Plasmas I've ever owned/seen have almost-instant IR the first 50 hours or so... The 200H 'rule' is to be on the safe side. Oh, I sell TVs for a living.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch /forum/post/16918072

a lot of movies are in a 'longer' aspect ratio than 16:9

I think movies come in two formats. 1.85:1 which is really close to 16:9 and 2.35:1 which will produce bars on the top and bottom. I don't know why the two formats exist (I could probably google it if I weren't lazy) but I would prefer all DVDs to display in 16:9. I don't care if it means I lose some content on the left and right. I hate losing screen real estate.

·
Registered
544 Posts
A HDTV is 16x9 or a 1.78:1 aspect ratio! HD TV programs from ABC, CBS, FOX etc, Shows made for HDTV's are almost always in the 1.78:1 format if not that then it's in 4:3. MOVIES on the other hand are in many different aspect ratio's!!! If it's 1.85:1 which is pretty common, your whole screen will be filled just like if it was 1.78:1 as it's pretty close. A lot of movies, though are in 2:40:1 or 2:45:1 and other aspect ratio's. These formats are wider then 16x9. So depending on the format will be the size of the black bars on the top and bottom. Using ZOOM or whatever to fill the screen is a option, but of course you cut off some of the picture from the left and right to do it. Most people don't really notice this whole aspect thing when going to the theater to see a movie. They use the curtains to adjust the screen size by covering up part of the white screen. Most ALL DVD's and Blu-Ray's show the Aspect Ratio of the movie on the back of the box. So if it's 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 you'll have a full screen, and if it's anything else, your going to have bars on the top and bottom. That's pretty easy to remember.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDragon /forum/post/16923691

So if it's 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 you'll have a full screen, and if it's anything else, your going to have bars on the top and bottom. That's pretty easy to remember.

Yes it is, thank you!

What about anamorphic though? I was of the understanding that anamorphic wide screen would fit to several aspect rations - but I've had no luck with getting that to work yet.

Thanks again for your time guys

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think you need to read up on Anamorphic! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_widescreen

Again, has nothing to do with the actual Aspect Ratio the Film is displayed in. There's NO magical way to make a 2.40:1 movies fill the whole 1.78:1 screen without doing something to it. You could ZOOM it in and cut the left and right side of the movie OFF, or you ZOOM it in and squeeze the left and right side in so you see the whole thing, but of course now everything is narrow looking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.