AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I m new to this HT audio stuff and really want one. I just fell into $425 from selling old comp. stuff, and my B-day in Nov. 30 and Christmas is right around the corner so i will have access to money and gifts. Basically, i want something i can add things to and is very upgradable. Since im a Drexel collage student, i already have most of the things i need, like cloths and computer and 27in nice tv and money for school use. This money is extra so i can spend it on stuff i want. I was looking around and came across the Kenwood HTB-504 system, which has gotten great reviews and was listed on top in Consumer report. I found it for about $400-425 and it seems like a great choice. It will go in a dorm room and in my room at home during summer. I will hook up a DVD,TV, and videogame system to it. Basically i want something with a good punch to it so i can here booms, guns, awsome surround and nice bass. I also do listen to rock music so musci is a factor also. Looking around i found that the speakers werent rated good. But i dont know if this is from an audiofile or an average kid. Lastly, if i were to upgrade later on i was looking at the AR-s50 for $400/pair. Would this be compatible with the reciever? Any input on HT, speakers would be great. I want the best bang for the buck which will last me and be upgradable later on. Any help would be greatly appriciated

·
Registered
904 Posts
welcome to the forum.

As someone recently out of college, I can certainly empathize with your position. I did very well by going with Cambridge Soundworks to build my system. They have very good sound for the more discriminating ear (not the most discriminating, however) and they are very high in the bang for the buck category. The greatest thing, however, is the upgrade policy in the stores. When you're ready to upgrade, bring in your old speakers and, if they're around a year or younger, they'll give you a full credit towards your new speakers! If it's older than a year or so, they'll credit you for their "B" stock price which is how they sell refurbs and returns and is usually ~80% of the full price. This is great because if there is a $200 spread between one speaker and another, you can buy the lesser and when you get $200 trade in the lesser for the better speakers. :D

anyway, you can also search the forum for more suggestions on beginning HT systems, many refer to the HTB-504 you're looking at and they seem to be positive.

good luck

jake

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was most impressed recently, when I had the priveldge of hearing a great little system while attending the CEDIA EXPO in Indiannapolis. The system is called the Aura Baby Grands. This is a HT speaker package that sounds awesome for the price. The front, center, rears are quite small and have titanium drivers. They are available in Black or White. It comes with a real nice matching sub. The whole speaker package retails for $799.00.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ffactory0x
I m new to this HT audio stuff and really want one. I just fell into $425 from selling old comp. stuff, and my B-day in Nov. 30 and Christmas is right around the corner so i will have access to money and gifts. Basically, i want something i can add things to and is very upgradable. Since im a Drexel collage student, i already have most of the things i need, like cloths and computer and 27in nice tv and money for school use. This money is extra so i can spend it on stuff i want. I was looking around and came across the Kenwood HTB-504 system, which has gotten great reviews and was listed on top in Consumer report. I found it for about $400-425 and it seems like a great choice. It will go in a dorm room and in my room at home during summer. I will hook up a DVD,TV, and videogame system to it. Basically i want something with a good punch to it so i can here booms, guns, awsome surround and nice bass. I also do listen to rock music so musci is a factor also. Looking around i found that the speakers werent rated good. But i dont know if this is from an audiofile or an average kid. Lastly, if i were to upgrade later on i was looking at the AR-s50 for $400/pair. Would this be compatible with the reciever? Any input on HT, speakers would be great. I want the best bang for the buck which will last me and be upgradable later on. Any help would be greatly appriciated
I've owned the HTB-504 setup for some two weeks now and will say this: You can take away this system from me only when I'm stone cold *DEAD* :D Setup was as simple as it could get with a great OOB (Out Of Box) experience complete with a huge diagram to make sure that you don't accidentally mis-wire something (I bought better 16ga cable but I haven't used it, I figure I'll save that for when I buy a place, for renting the included wire is fine, since I can't really push this system all that hard anyways. :(

I'm in love with the PL2 mode on the receiver as it really awakens 2 channel and PL sources (World Series on FOX sounds like I'm right in the middle of Yankee Stadium :)) The only gripe I have is one of the points that others have applauded, the banana plugs for the L,C,R speakers.... trying to thread the speaker wire into those posts when you only have one hand is about as easy as herding cats :mad: I'd recommend this system without hesitation if you can get a good deal on it, but make sure you have a string friend to help you carry the humougous box it comes in :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.