AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks ago, started looking at HTIB's, looking to spend 400-500. After research, have now decided to try to put together a solid system for around 1000, but could probably be convinced to stretch if I'm getting value. I know some will advise to slowly build a system and end up spending quite a bit more, but I'd really appreciate advice/suggestions on getting the best bang for my buck.

My room is 19x27, but the viewing/listening area is about 15x15, with the TV in the corner. Space isn't really an issue, and I've ok'ed towers with The Mrs. if that's the direction I end up going.

System will be used for 1) movies 2) gaming/music.

I'm pretty set on the Pioneer 1019 for a receiver, so now I need your help with the speakers/sub on a budget. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The Polk Monitor at newegg has been a hot buy for quite some time now. It is one of the lowest priced speaker bargain.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
yes, the Monitor 60 towers for L&R and the CS2 (it's large, have you checked the size against the space you have ?) would make a great front 3. Monitor 30's for the surrounds. For a budget subwoofer, look at BIC-100 or Parts Express "Dayton" brand subs. A little further up the food chain are HSU Research and Elemental Designs subs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen that Polk sub's are not real highly thought of on the forum, but is the PSW10 a good value for 119? In the NewEgg description, they say it is designed to match the Monitor series. Is this 'match' a big deal? Does it translate to a simpler set-up at all? I'm looking for as little tinkering as possible. Also, I won't be 'pushing' the sub/system too often, if ever. Will the PSW10 get me by, or should I stay away from Polk subs altogether?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the only real "match" between sub and main speakers is the cross-over point. The sub should reproduce frequencies high enough to allow you to cross-over the lower frequencies your main speakers can not handle easily.

Example...you have tiny speakers like the Energy Take Classics that bottom out at 120Hz and your subwoofer tops out at 100Hz. You have a 20Hz gap, actually more because the tiny Takes will be sucking air long before 120Hz. For the Polks, any subwoofer than can comfortably cross-over at 80Hz will work just fine......the sub does not need to be a Polk. I do wish Polk would put a little more effort into their lower end subs, but that is the way it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After researching on the subwoofer forum, it seems like the consensus is that an a2-300 or stf-2 are great subs for the price. And while my viewing area is approx 15x15, the whole room is 19x27 w/ a 9' doorway into another open room that is about 10x20. I don't want to end up upgrading sub again, so I might go with the ed or hsu. This would leave me with below setup.

Receiver: Pioneer 1019

Fronts: Polk Monitor 60 Towers

Center: Polk CS2

Rears: Polk Monitor 30s

Sub: Stf-2 or a2-300

First kid is on the way in June, so budget-wise this is probably my first and last foray into HT set-up, so I'm thinking this will be a good value HT that will keep me (not an audiophile) happy for years to come. Thoughts?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got a pair of Monitor 60's running for fronts and a CS1 waiting for me on my front steps right now, I'll let you know how the full set up sounds in a few days, but so far the M60's are great.

Also, if space is an issue, the CS1 is a little bit smaller than the CS2.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
As far as bang for the buck goes....you are not going to get much better than this...assuming you like the sound of Polk. Going with a HSU or eD is definately a better buy as well over the Polk sub. Having a good subwoofer makes a huge difference in HT. I own $150, $600, and $1K used subwoofers....the higher the price, the better the subwoofer was.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Space isn't an issue for the CS2...just pulled the trigger on the Monitors/CS2 on NewEgg. Now looking for best price on receiver and still up in the air on sub choice. acchon, what do you run for a sub in your setup?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Do you want 5.1 or 7.1? And did you give thought to the possibility of running 2 subs? You have a very large space and 2 subs would do the job easier than 1. And 1 big sub eg. 15" usually isn't as tight, quick, and musical as would be 2 smaller subs eg. 10".

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm not running a sub right now, just bought a small condo in Boston, so money's a little tight, and the space is small enough that I can get away without having one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking 5.1 for now. Receiver is 7.1 capable, so it is an option in the future.

Would I be better served with two Dayton 120's over an Ed or HSU? Dumb question, but is two subs an easy set-up? Is there such a thing as 5.2/7.2 capable receivers or is that irrelevant? I know, really showing my nOOb-ness here.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would get the Ed sub over 2 Daytons. Running 2 subs is easy just get a y-splitter. I own Monitor 70 and a Cs2 center, and run Monitor 40 for surrounds. For a receiver look at a Harmon Kardon AVR-254 on ebay from harmondirect. I also own of these from ebay and like it alot. Buy it now is $293 with free shipping, I paid around $360. They can do 7.1, but I just run 5.1 for now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts