AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me apologize for the redundant thread 1st. Spent most of yesterday reading through the forums and thought I did post what I need and my info. After hearing some HTIB setup at my local BB I thought I did give HT a try. Now I was thinking of buying a HTIB but after reading all the threads here and going out to my local BB to check out the setups I thought I did rather build a low-budget setup.

My friend who moved away gave me his old AVR-235 harman/kardon receiver. No idea if that is a good receiver or not. The room is size is about 10' x 10'. Looking for just 5.1 surrond and not 7.1. Budget Max. is $400. So I will probably slowly build up my speakers instead getting everything in one go. After reading through the forums I notice most ppl suggest to get the Polk monitors and the sub-woofer from Newegg if your on a low budget. Mostly for watching movies and gaming on my PS3/Xbox360.

So here's my questions:

1. Would I need a new receiver or is the one that my friend gave me good enough?

2. What size monitors would I need for the front speakers? For the size of my room should I just get the bookself 40s or get the 60s that's now on sale on Newegg?

3. I notice a lot of different suggestion on the sub-woofer then from the $119 Polk ones on Newegg. What other sub-woofer I should consider that would get me more bang for my bucks?

As an example of what I want to feel when I finish this HT is I would like me to go "Wow!!" when I 1st uses it to play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 compare to my built-in 40" Samsung LCD 10-watt speakers.

Again I apologize for the really redundant thread.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
HK receivers are good so as long as it's working, you should be fine. It's not going to have the latest technology but until you have more money, I believe it'll be enough.

You don't really need floorstanding if you buy yourself a decent subwoofer with your bookshelf speakers. The Monitor 60 cost twice as much as the Monitor 40. That is something you'll have to decide. You can almost build a 5.0 system with your current budget by going Monitor 40 and a center speaker. Save your money and get yourself a good subwoofer from eD, HSU, SVS.

With that said, have you listen to Polk?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
For a 10' x 10' room that is a great reciever. While yes its alittle old and doesn't have HDMI inputs you can still hook up your game systems and DVD/Bluray via an optical cable to get 5.1 sound

In a room that small you will be able to get away with small satelites for speakers. I use Polk RM6750 5.1 set small satelites in my 13.5' x 14.75' room which opens up to my kitchen and my neighbors hate me. When I am in the sweet spot the sound quality is amazing

While I love my Polks and my next upgrade will be to Polk speakers, their subwoofers aren't really that well reviewed here. When I move to a larger place and have space for 7.1 I'll be switching my front speakers to Polk Monitor 50s with Polk CS1 then use my current polk satelites as surround

For the size of your room I know would be extremely happy with the Polk RM6750 5.1 kit THOUGH another option to look at which has higher rated speakers would be the Energy Take 5.0 kit ($230 w/shipping from newegg) and then add a Bic v1020 ($143 w/shipping from Amazon).

The Energy Take 5.0 kit gets raves reviews here and everywhere its heard. I would have went with that set if I could have afforded them

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could go the route of Polk Monitor 40s, Polk CS1 center, and then Polk Sub and you would have a great starter 3.1 system until you can get rear speakers but if I was in your case I would want to start with basic 5.1 set cause I personally would want a reciever that accepts HDMI

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the late reply, had work and was going through more threads.

Nope, never listen to any of the Polk speakers. Like I said I'm really new to HT. If anybody know some place near Phily where I can listen to some speakers beside BB let me know.

Ya, I see the Energy Take 5 pack on Newegg. Saw they were on sale just a few months ago at $150 so I'm hesitant to buy it atm.

If I'm willing to spend like $100 to $200 more and just get a 3.1 set of speakers atm, what would you guys suggest? What should I get 1st if I decide to get the speakers 1 by 1 as budget permits? Fronts, Center, or Subwoofer?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I would go listen to the Infinity Primus P362 at frys with your own music. You can sometimes get them for $149 each.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio /forum/post/18222026

I would go listen to the Infinity Primus P362 at frys with your own music. You can sometimes get them for $149 each.

No Frys anywhere near the East Coast.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with a sub on that budget for the time being. Just get two or three good speakers, and get a nice sub later. Use your friends receiver to power the speakers for the time being. One setup that I would recommend on 400 is two Infinity Primus P162 bookshelf speakers and a Infinity Primus C350 center channel speaker. Or you could get two Infinity Primus P362 tower speakers. Either one would be good, and would sound way better than a dinky 5.1 speaker set for the same price.

Gradually complete the set, and make sure the speakers match for the best sound, ie. if you get Infinity Primus p362s, try to make sure the center channel is from the Primus series too. Save up for a internet direct sub, trust me on that one. The sub companies I would buy from are Hsu research , Outlaw Audio , SVS , Elemental Designs , Epik Subwoofers , and Rythmik . Seriously, stay with those sub companies if you want your money's worth. By the way, Hsu, SVS, and Elemental Designs also make decent speakers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't think I did have room for the towers. But the price difference is only bout $60 each so I'm sorta leaning towards the towers. How much of a difference is it between the bookself and the towers?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
$400 is fine for such a small space and even a budget sub will fill that room with pretty good LF extension with the available room gain. You're right about the towers...no need for em and the placement compromise will just make a mess of things. I'd go with the Energy Take5 pack and spend the rest on a subwoofer. This little sub is a big value for the price especially when considering free shipping

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=309-177

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The towers will give you much better bass than the bookshelf speakers will. In fact, they should handle the entire frequency spectrum more ably. If floorspace is at a premium though, bookshelf speakers might be preferable unless you had to use speaker stands for them, which, in that case, you might as well go with the tower speakers. If you wanted to save floorspace, you could just wall-mount some bookshelf speakers.

With the towers, you could get by without a sub for the time being, however they would leave you no money left for a good center channel. You could use a phantom center channel, which might be just as good as a real one in a room as small as yours. Look up phantom center speakers, it would be worth your while. I would get a good sub, in due time, not the one recommended above but from the speaker companies I previously suggested. I disagree with the above poster about the subwoofer, because, in a room like that, you could achieve deep, high quality bass pretty easily, check out the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus or the Hsu Research VTF2 mk3. The sub he recommended will not be able to do subsonic bass.

But I have to say that maybe the speakers I am recommending might be overkill for your situation, and that the Energy speaker pack might make more sense. Personally, I would go with the Primus for the higher-quality sound, and much greater dynamic response. For the same volume level, you would get a much more authoritative, detailed, massive, and richer sound. You don't get surround sound, at least not right away, but you get a excellent two channel sound stage, which, in my opinion, is more commonly useful anyway.

However, the Energy speakers are easy to mount, they have keyholes in the back, and they will save space. If you mostly listen to low fidelity sources at medium to lower volumes, such as a 64k streaming podcast, there won't be that much of an advantage with better speakers.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio /forum/post/18222026

Infinity Primus or Energy RC-10s are the best low budget speakers IMO. I agree with cornhulio about auditioning with music.

You are in Philly? There has GOT to be a place to listen to these guys! Liberty baby!

Ron

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found a Energy Take 5pack and a ESWC8 "Used" for about $250. Should I bite or try to wait for a better deal on the Primus Infinity? Lowest I can get 2 Infinity Primus P362 atm is about $370. Help me decide.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I went with 2 Infinity Primus P362. Can pick them up next week. Hopefully I will be happy with them.

Now should I save up for the Center speaker or the Subwoofer next?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnces /forum/post/18252237

Ok, I went with 2 Infinity Primus P362. Can pick them up next week. Hopefully I will be happy with them.

Now should I save up for the Center speaker or the Subwoofer next?

For the price I paid for mine, I am quite happy with them for both music and HT. Both sub and center are important for HT but I would go subwoofer first.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/18253284

For the price I paid for mine, I am quite happy with them for both music and HT. Both sub and center are important for HT but I would go subwoofer first.

Good to hear. Due to budget constraint I can only get either the Center or Subwoofer then probably a month or 2 later the other.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnces /forum/post/18253441

Good to hear. Due to budget constraint I can only get either the Center or Subwoofer then probably a month or 2 later the other.

What you are doing is the correct way. Building it slowly and add more as you go.

·
Registered
435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnces /forum/post/18220143

Sorry for the late reply, had work and was going through more threads.

Nope, never listen to any of the Polk speakers. Like I said I'm really new to HT. If anybody know some place near Phily where I can listen to some speakers beside BB let me know.

Ya, I see the Energy Take 5 pack on Newegg. Saw they were on sale just a few months ago at $150 so I'm hesitant to buy it atm.

If I'm willing to spend like $100 to $200 more and just get a 3.1 set of speakers atm, what would you guys suggest? What should I get 1st if I decide to get the speakers 1 by 1 as budget permits? Fronts, Center, or Subwoofer?

Thanks for the help!

Hey where do you live? I live in NJ right now, but went to school in Philly, so depending on where you are, I can give you a few places to go look at...let me know!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin29311 /forum/post/18254467

Hey where do you live? I live in NJ right now, but went to school in Philly, so depending on where you are, I can give you a few places to go look at...let me know!

NE Philly~

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After looking through several thread on subwoofers think I'm gonna wait a bit and get the eD A2-300. Too bad I can't get it now since it's gonna go up in price in 2 days but I really wasn't expecting to spend more then $200 on a subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnces /forum/post/18264296

After looking through several thread on subwoofers think I'm gonna wait a bit and get the eD A2-300. Too bad I can't get it now since it's gonna go up in price in 2 days but I really wasn't expecting to spend more then $200 on a subwoofer.

Having a good subwoofer is half the battle. Buy the best you can afford. I own 3 subwoofers ranging from $150, $600, and $1K. Their is a HUGE, HUGE step up from one to another as far as price goes. The $600 is night and day better than the $150 and the $1K one is night and day better than the $600..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts