AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came to this forum knowing zilch about HT. I posted a silly thread requesting a specific projector recommendation :) HA!!! In the meantime I've done a lot of reading both here and at projectocentral - such great sources! My plan was to get the X1 at Best Buy, try it out, and then decide to keep it or move on to something else. However, someone replied that I should wait until November when the new models came out. I did a little searching at projector central and found this in their review of CEDIA 2003:

Optoma also unveiled plans for an H30 entry level home theater product. Also rated at 2000:1 contrast, this will be an SVGA resolution DLP product featuring a 6 segment 4x speed color wheel which will be priced at or below $1,399. Scheduled to ship in late fourth quarter, this would be the least expensive home theater projector on the market to incorporate the highly desirable 6 segment, 4x color wheel architecture.

So herein lies the dilemma. Even if the X1 image is rainbow free, there is always the guest factor (I know this is quite rare but I do plan on having people over regularly). I could wait a couple months even though that will kill me. But realistically, what can I expect from these new projectors? I really can't go much over 1K. Is it unreasonable to expect either the H30 or an equivalent that significantly reduces rainbow effect, retains the image quality of the X1, and costs 1K, give or take a couple hundred? I'd love to hear someone's thoughts on this.

Thanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
Well, if Optoma follows their trend of unveiling a projector, and then delaying the sale of it significantly, I'm not sure that I would wait. People are still eagerly awaiting the release of the H76, as far as I know, but nobody has one. Not even projectorcentral.com.

You could wait for Optoma, if you wanted to, or you could invest a thousand bucks at Best Buy for an X1, and see how you like it. If you see rainbows, and are bothered by them, then you know it's time to wait. Take the X1 back, and wait for the Optoma. At least then you'll know more than you do now.

I never recommend the waiting game, because as soon as the Optoma is released, it will be CES time... and then when CES rolls around, there will be even more projectors unveiled, and when those projectors are unveiled, you'll want to wait for them. By the time those projectors are released, it will be CEDIA time again, and guess what? A whole year just went by, leaving you with no projector.

Waiting games in this industry are as bad as waiting games in the computer industry. The projector you buy (even if it's absolute state of the art) won't stay state of the art for more than a few months. Find something you're happy with, and enjoy it.

Me personally, I'm still waiting to see if CES has introduces the 5000:1 CR, 3,000 lumen, 3-chip DLP for $1,299. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.