AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Its late, im tired but I finally came to a much needed conclusion. I am going to start off with a receiver. I was looking at soundbars and I felt the subwoofer they offered didn't fulfill my needs. After much review, if I wanted to run a higher powered subwoofer it would be best to use a receiver and run a couple added speakers.

Ill save some of the speech and cut to the chase. I have around $500 that I am willing to put down on a receiver so we'll say $400-$600. Im basically going to limit my decision to either Denon or Yamaha. After very little research Im looking into the Denon AVR-X1000 and the Yamaha RX-S600 or their RX-V lineup.

I am looking for basically a 3.1 setup, two floorstanders or bookshelf's a center channel and of course an active subwoofer. Im not up to speed with any of the AVR tech so any insight or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm a Denon guy myself. I'd have to say though, if you're looking at an X1000, then you may as well go for the x2000 if you can swing it. You get more features, including analog->HDMI conversion, which the x1000 doesn't have.

Some of the things that the X2000 has over the X1000:

7.1 vs. 5.1

95w vs. 80w

7 HDMI inputs (3D/1080p/4K Ultra HD) vs. 6 HDMI Inputs (3D/1080p)

2 more analog audio inputs

1 set of Component inputs

Analog>HDMI conversion

Video Scaling (1080P/4K Ultra HD)

Dolby Pro Logic IIz

​dts ES Discrete 6.1

The price difference is definitely worth it in my opinion. I like to at least try to "future-proof" my setup a bit. I just got the x4000, and absolutely love it. I had the x3000 for a bit, but traded it in for the x4000 and I'm so glad I did. All that, and there's an X2000 on the bay right now for $499.00.

Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would recommend refurb before eBay. You get a one year warranty as opposed to zero off eBay, and the price is cheaper.

Most authorized Denon retailers will discount MSRP on new, but you have to call.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTScotty  /t/1520905/new-to-ht-starting-off-with-a-receiver#post_24438119

I'm a Denon guy myself. I'd have to say though, if you're looking at an X1000, then you may as well go for the x2000 if you can swing it. You get more features, including analog->HDMI conversion, which the x1000 doesn't have.

Some of the things that the X2000 has over the X1000:

7.1 vs. 5.1

95w vs. 80w

7 HDMI inputs (3D/1080p/4K Ultra HD) vs. 6 HDMI Inputs (3D/1080p)

2 more analog audio inputs

1 set of Component inputs

Analog>HDMI conversion

Video Scaling (1080P/4K Ultra HD)

Dolby Pro Logic IIz

​dts ES Discrete 6.1

The price difference is definitely worth it in my opinion. I like to at least try to "future-proof" my setup a bit. I just got the x4000, and absolutely love it. I had the x3000 for a bit, but traded it in for the x4000 and I'm so glad I did. All that, and there's an X2000 on the bay right now for $499.00.

Scott

I could possibly justify it, But I honestly have no idea what most of those added features even are let alone what they can provide. Im trying to keep everything somewhat simple. The only other thing running into this receiver for awhile will be a PS3 then later on a PS4. Could you elaborate on Analog>HDMI conversion? 7.1 is something I do not need, I would like the added 15w per channel though but it seems minimal. Analog inputs and component inputs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdefulvio  /t/1520905/new-to-ht-starting-off-with-a-receiver#post_24438544

I would recommend refurb before eBay. You get a one year warranty as opposed to zero off eBay, and the price is cheaper.

Most authorized Denon retailers will discount MSRP on new, but you have to call.

I would really like to purchase from a dealer like Crutchfield or some place along those lines.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well if you are going to buy online call IQ Home Entertainment. I met them through an Amazon puchase of an AVR. I purchased a brand new Aventage. I got a screaming deal once I called and talked with them. The best thing of dealing with them is that they are a class outfit. If you have any problems with your AVR they will send you a shipping lablel and do whatever it takes to right the situation.

No deals from a place like Crutchfield but IQ Home Entertainment will give you a great deal and help with any problems if you have any.

·
Registered
271 Posts
First off Crutchfield will charge you MSRP, no questions asked, and no haggling. Period. That said, they do have good service, at least from what I've heard. Ebay was just a quick stop to see what you "could" get one for. I'm sure if you bought from AVS or another authorized dealer, they'd be more than willing to work with you on the price.

Analog > HDMI

This type of conversion simply means that any analog input that you have that goes to the receiver that is either component or composite video input will automatically get upconverted to HDMI and allow you to output to a single HDMI. The X1000 doesn't even have a component input at all. So that right there, for me at least, would be a deal-breaker. Everything I have is HDMI, but that's only recently. For the longest time I had devices that used RGB/Component input.

In MY opinion, I believe that the Denon AVR-X2000 is the lowest surround receiver that you should consider. If money's that tight, then I can't fault you at all for opting for the X1000. I just wanted to make sure you were making an educated purchase now, rather than regret a missing feature later.

Scott

·
Registered
553 Posts
Crutchfield sometimes has specials running. They can be a bit higher priced, but their service is good, and you can generally get someone on the phone to talk to if you have a technical problem, or just don't understand how to set something up correctly. I've bought several car audio items from them, and if you catch them on a good day, they'll knock a few $ off if you ask. I think they knocked $25 or so off an order for a head unit and 2 sets of speakers last time I bought from them, because I asked.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVAddikt  /t/1520905/new-to-ht-starting-off-with-a-receiver#post_24438851

Well if you are going to buy online call IQ Home Entertainment. I met them through an Amazon puchase of an AVR. I purchased a brand new Aventage. I got a screaming deal once I called and talked with them. The best thing of dealing with them is that they are a class outfit. If you have any problems with your AVR they will send you a shipping lablel and do whatever it takes to right the situation.

No deals from a place like Crutchfield but IQ Home Entertainment will give you a great deal and help with any problems if you have any.

Appreciate the recommendation. I will give them a look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTScotty  /t/1520905/new-to-ht-starting-off-with-a-receiver#post_24438852

First off Crutchfield will charge you MSRP, no questions asked, and no haggling. Period. That said, they do have good service, at least from what I've heard. Ebay was just a quick stop to see what you "could" get one for. I'm sure if you bought from AVS or another authorized dealer, they'd be more than willing to work with you on the price.

Analog > HDMI

This type of conversion simply means that any analog input that you have that goes to the receiver that is either component or composite video input will automatically get upconverted to HDMI and allow you to output to a single HDMI. The X1000 doesn't even have a component input at all. So that right there, for me at least, would be a deal-breaker. Everything I have is HDMI, but that's only recently. For the longest time I had devices that used RGB/Component input.

In MY opinion, I believe that the Denon AVR-X2000 is the lowest surround receiver that you should consider. If money's that tight, then I can't fault you at all for opting for the X1000. I just wanted to make sure you were making an educated purchase now, rather than regret a missing feature later.

Scott

So HDMI is the way to go? Is it better quality doing this? BTW how does the AVR-E400 stack up?

Im not looking to get overly "techy" I just want a unit to nicely run/power a 3.1 setup. Like I say the only other two sources ill have hooked up with this is obviously a new 55'' set and a PS3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees  /t/1520905/new-to-ht-starting-off-with-a-receiver#post_24439101

Crutchfield sometimes has specials running. They can be a bit higher priced, but their service is good, and you can generally get someone on the phone to talk to if you have a technical problem, or just don't understand how to set something up correctly. I've bought several car audio items from them, and if you catch them on a good day, they'll knock a few $ off if you ask. I think they knocked $25 or so off an order for a head unit and 2 sets of speakers last time I bought from them, because I asked.
Crutchfield isn't always the cheapest but at times they aren't far off. Ive purchased quite a bit of car audio merchandise through them over the years, mainly just headunits and my latest Pioneer Indash DVD receiver. They weren't too much more then what it was listed for on Amazon and Crutchfield always throws in installation gear and diagrams. Their customer support has always treated me very well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well, HDMI gives you digital video and audio through the same cable. Everything else for video is analog, more cumbersome, and will ALWAYS be compressed audio, even if you use digital SPDIF or Coax inputs. HDMI can give you full uncompressed audio and video. Nothing wrong with component level inputs, but the best you'll get is 1080i. It's kinda like going from DVD to Bluray. Once you go Bluray, you pretty much don't want DVD. (realistically 1080i vs. 1080p isn't THAT much of a difference.... but ya....you get the point)

The E400 vs X1000.... that's a whole different story. what you gain on the e400 with the 7.1 surround modes and component input, you lose the x1000's Audyssey MultEQ XT and get Audyssey MultEQ instead. If all you ever want is a 3.1 setup, then I'd say go with the X1000. The difference in wattage is negligible.

Between those two, I'd say the x1000.....but only for your particular setup. However, if you NEED a component input, then the E400 is a no-brainer. Your current gear should both be HDMI.

Scott

·
Premium Member
93,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoPro700  /t/1520905/new-to-ht-starting-off-with-a-receiver/0_100#post_24438781

I could possibly justify it, But I honestly have no idea what most of those added features even are let alone what they can provide. Im trying to keep everything somewhat simple. The only other thing running into this receiver for awhile will be a PS3 then later on a PS4. Could you elaborate on Analog>HDMI conversion? 7.1 is something I do not need, I would like the added 15w per channel though but it seems minimal. Analog inputs and component inputs?

I would really like to purchase from a dealer like Crutchfield or some place along those lines.

Like maybe an AVS Forum sponsor AND an authorized dealer?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTScotty  /t/1520905/new-to-ht-starting-off-with-a-receiver#post_24440343

Well, HDMI gives you digital video and audio through the same cable. Everything else for video is analog, more cumbersome, and will ALWAYS be compressed audio, even if you use digital SPDIF or Coax inputs. HDMI can give you full uncompressed audio and video. Nothing wrong with component level inputs, but the best you'll get is 1080i. It's kinda like going from DVD to Bluray. Once you go Bluray, you pretty much don't want DVD. (realistically 1080i vs. 1080p isn't THAT much of a difference.... but ya....you get the point)

The E400 vs X1000.... that's a whole different story. what you gain on the e400 with the 7.1 surround modes and component input, you lose the x1000's Audyssey MultEQ XT and get Audyssey MultEQ instead. If all you ever want is a 3.1 setup, then I'd say go with the X1000. The difference in wattage is negligible.

Between those two, I'd say the x1000.....but only for your particular setup. However, if you NEED a component input, then the E400 is a no-brainer. Your current gear should both be HDMI.

Scott

HDMI is one less cord? And gives a more crisp detailed sound? If that's the case, then sign me up!

Could you explain component input, since I really have no clue which inputs are needed for what.

Another thing is, can a receiver have anything to due with viewing quality? Anything other then sound. I first thought receivers were meant to mainly run speakers but it seems now days they can do quite a bit more. And just to be clear are these '13 or '14 models we are talking about? Hate to make a purchase then a month later find out that my current receiver is now out of date.

Maybe I should give Denon a call and see if I can get them to hang up on me

Edit: After I clicked the link I seen that the models we are talking about are in fact '13's. I must say that link is as helpful as they get, every bit of information is in there wow. Except for going into fine detail on the all the features, but that would make it a little over the top.

So my next question is when will the 14 models start to make an appearance?

·
Registered
271 Posts
HDMI is one less cord? And gives a more crisp detailed sound? If that's the case, then sign me up!

Check out these links:
http://www.techhive.com/article/238505/hdmi_vs_comp.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAHpt-A2h5E

Another thing is, can a receiver have anything to due with viewing quality? Anything other then sound.
Yes. Especially when dealing with video conversion and upscaling.

I first thought receivers were meant to mainly run speakers but it seems now days they can do quite a bit more. And just to be clear are these '13 or '14 models we are talking about? Hate to make a purchase then a month later find out that my current receiver is now out of date.
This is why I recommended the Denon X2000 in the first place.

So my next question is when will the 14 models start to make an appearance?
Well, speaking for myself, I wouldn't worry with waiting. If you do, you'll always be waiting. There's always something new around the corner. This is... AGAIN... why I recommend the X2000. It has the most future-proof features in your price-bracket.

Scott

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
2013 didn't offer any new earth shattering features except maybe dual hdmi video feeds (Denon X4000/Yamaha A1030) at a level below flagship. 2014 does though. Hdmi 2.0. The ability to pass 4k video at 60 frames per second (broadcast tv rate). Might be a few years for it to actually be useful though. No 2013 receiver has 2.0. They do have 4k @ 30hz with hdmi 1.4. No new audio features coming this year.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Oh here we go... the whole 4k video thing.....

All I will say is this,

Unless you have OVER a 65" TV, and sit close enough to the screen, you DO NOT need 4k. The human eye can't tell the difference. That's a whole other debate though.

I would not wait until next year solely for HDMI 2.0, especially considering your current gear and immediate plans for that gear.

Scott

1 - 18 of 18 Posts