AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new to all these things but I know my TV's (somewhat) and my computers (pretty well).

So I am getting ready to buy a Vizio 42 inch LCD 1080i. Right now I have a Gateway pent D 2.8, 2gb of ram, and a ATI 1600 pro 512mb card. I have surround sound hooked up from my turtle beach sound card via optical.

So here are me newbish questions.

As of now I am thinking about hooking up my TV via VGA (i.e. monitor cable) as my TV will be 1st a monitor, second a TV/DVD player. Would it be a huge advantage to go to DVI/HDMI and buy the cable?

So what does 1080i 720p ect mean for me. Of course I see people looking for certain things in a LCD. But for me just using this 80% as a monitor does my monitor display these things i.e 1080i? Or is it always in 480i?

Is there anything I need to do to my card to let it utilize my TV in the best possible way? The reason I ask is my card has Avivio on it, it talks about upgrading it to get the HD portion or something like that. But then it takes me to a page to buy some stuff. ( http://www.cyberlink.com/english/pro...acks.jsp#combo )

So I am wondering what the deal with that is. Sorry for the newbish questions.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechs19 /forum/post/12857698

So I am getting ready to buy a Vizio 42 inch LCD 1080i.

LCDs can't be interlaced. The 1080i probably means the limit the TV can handle as input.
Quote:

As of now I am thinking about hooking up my TV via VGA...

It is always best to try using what you have instead of getting new stuff...

VGA should work almost as good as DVI/HDMI. Some will claim there is no difference.
Quote:

So what does 1080i 720p ect mean for me.

Is there anything I need to do to my card to let it utilize my TV in the best possible way?

You should try to feed your TV its native resolution whatever it is: 720p, 766p, 768p, 1080p, etc.

If it doesn't work, try the closest.

After your TV displays your desktop 1:1 (by pixel) or close, you can start looking into video playback...

Diogen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts