AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Im just starting out into this fun little realm of HTPC's and working with linux. Im reading thru the forums at the moment, but when i say starting out, i only got ubuntu 9.04 installed this morning. Ill leave the specs of my htpc here, and if anyone has some advise or hints on what i should do with it, feel free to post.

Athlon64x2 4200+

2Gig DDR2-800

Foxconn K8m890m2ma-rs2h

200Gb Internal HDD

640Gb External HDD(have a second machine i take to lans, just easier for transfers)

Geforce 7600gs with DVI out,(also have a 8800gts, but seemed over kill, correct me if im wrong)

Spund for the moment is thru the onboard sound card. anyone recommend a good budget one, PCI or PCI-Ex1, as i have a one of each slot free.

Cheers for now

Lynx

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The motherboard (while not bad) is not what I would chose for a HTPC and you would really want a 8x or 9x series Nvidia GPU.

Coincidentally I'm just about to publish on my web site later today an in-depth article about building a Linux HTPC, it just needs a few finishing touches. I'll announce it here once it's published.

Maybe it could help you too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey, the actual choice for components came down to it being my spare comp after i built my new intel quad. Though as i said in the OP, i have a 8800gts sitting spare.

EDIT: Bookmarked your website, so ill be keeping an eager eye out for your article

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
@AMD_Lynx

I guess the real question is what do you plan on doing with your HTPC (recording, dvd burning, transcoding, etc). What types of files will you be playing back (HD, SD, x264, etc.). It's hard to recommend anything without knowing what you are going ot do with it. Depending on what you are decoding you don't need the 8800 if you had other plans for it, but it would help with VDPAU.

@tux

Will your article cover price/performance? I'm looking to build a frontend only machine (XBMC and mythfrontend - want it quiet and HD capable of course - it's replacing the one in my living room) and right now I'm leaning towards just buying an ASrock 330... but I wouldn't mind just building one (I'm out of spare parts, so I can't save there) either if it's low cost and can still be quiet too... Just not sure if it's worth it given the ASrock seems to be what I need for a fairly low price...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey

it will just be used for playback of files, at the moment the files are just x264 or SD, but will eventually be HD and BR. Most of the files will come from LAN's etc, so my HTPC wont be doing my ripping on its own accord.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_Lynx /forum/post/16934097

hey

it will just be used for playback of files, at the moment the files are just x264 or SD, but will eventually be HD and BR. Most of the files will come from LAN's etc, so my HTPC wont be doing my ripping on its own accord.

If you are going to be doing any HD x264, then I definitely second the recommendation for the VDPAU card. I have an X2 4200 and although it can play most 720p x264 and some 1080p x264 - it struggles sometimes. A vdpau capable card would take care of that and make the CPU work much less...

Do you have/want spdif out on your machine for audio,?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux /forum/post/16934035

@tux

Will your article cover price/performance?

prices change all the time (and are different in different parts of the world) that's why I didn't cover them and price/performance really depends how you define performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux /forum/post/16934035

I'm looking to build a frontend only machine (XBMC and mythfrontend - want it quiet and HD capable of course - it's replacing the one in my living room) and right now I'm leaning towards just buying an ASrock 330... but I wouldn't mind just building one (I'm out of spare parts, so I can't save there) either if it's low cost and can still be quiet too... Just not sure if it's worth it given the ASrock seems to be what I need for a fairly low price...

If you don't care about Flash video then the Asrock is probably your best choice.

On the other hand it's quite possible to build a complete HTPC with a 'proper' cpu for a similar price, the example build in my article would cost about 450$.

The article is now online (I have started a separate thread for it too) see here:
http://www.linuxtech.net/features/be...herboards.html

Let me know what you think!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.