AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have some PC components knocking around that amount to some form of a PC, so I thought I would buy a small case a crib together a basic HTPC.

I have starting reading up more about HTPC's and have come to realise there is just so much choice for things like software and TV cards that I really don't know what is best.

The intentions of my system are:
- to provide internet access via my TV
- to connect to my NAS and stream music/movies from it
- play 3D movies on my 3D compatible TV
- connect to terrestrial or freesat
- record from terrestrial or freesat

I suspect the above may constitute a complex system but, some advice on how to achieve the above would be great.

At present I am thinking of running Windows as the OS, but I also see XMBC (I need to read up on that, to find out what it is).

I also want to insert a TV card one that would be compatible with terrestrial and freesat, any suggestions?

As for playing 3D movies how do I do this? How do I rip my 3D blu-ray discs?

What software can I use to record from the TV?

Is there a way to connect my HTPC to my Sony sound bar?

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
To use satellite as a source, you're limited to doing an analog-digital conversion, something along these lines. Not really ideal for an HTPC, but it can be made to work.

XBMC is now called Kodi, it's a front end software that allows you to browse/play back media and has live TV/DVR support as well. It can run on Windows or Linux. There are other front end choices out there, too.

I'd check the pinned thread on 3D support once you've gotten further in your research.

What you want to do isn't that complicated, but again, having satellite as a source is less than ideal.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
The Silicon Dust HD home run series are the best OTA boxes and just plug into your network. Virtually any PC with HD HDMI graphics can play anything from your NAS. 3D on the other hand is much more complicated and will cost considerably more of an investment with poorer results then a $50+ 3D BR player. Kodi/Emby used as a front end with WMC as a back end for recording works great with most TV tuner cards. Freesat I can't help with. Older CPU's work better with Linux but Win7 is need for WMC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts