AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 7.2 Canton speaker setup that I use almost exclusively for movies and games on my projector screen. I dig the Canton setup, it's great.

I have however become intrigued by Martin Logans. The look fantastic and the are said to have great clarity. Clarity is what I really enjoy about my Canton setup, so if the MLs are even better, game on.

I'm driving everything with an Emotiva LPA-1. (225wpc into 4ohms).

I'm looking at some used Aerius i for roughly 1k or really stepping it up to the Odyssey used for 1,900. Any advice? I'm leaning the Odyssey to ensure a true upgrade from the current setup. oh, and I found a logos center locally for cheap. I pick it up Thursday.

I will also say the Aerius i set appears to be better cared for and has less overall use... decisions, decisions....

PS the only ML I can audition are at local BB Magnolia. they were regular Electro Motion ESL. content and setting were less than ideal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Odysseys have bigger panels and sound better - having the bigger panel is very important with electrostats.

I had them and loved them. VERY DEPENDENT ON CAREFUL AND EXACT PLACEMENT. You need to buy a laser and line them up(the flashlight trick is not good enough). You need to get them within 1/4" of perfect alignment otherwise they don't sound as good. Seriously. There are articles about how to setup ML electrostats that you need to follow. Stereo shops just don't understand how to setup MLs and they usually sound bad because you can't just plop them down like other speakers.

From 250Hz and up was pure heaven and will ruin you for other speakers forever BUT you will have to decide if you like the Odyssey from 250Hz on down. The crossover between the panel and the woofer was a bit sloppy and the woofer is a bit muddy for my tastes. They should have put the crossover at a MUCH lower place. I became very sensitive to it while I had them and it was the only reason I sold them. I miss the sound. Voices on big MLs are unbelievable in the right setup i the right room.

I recommend a newer model with similar sized panel. ML fixed the muddiness right after the Odyssey/Prodigy line.

If you like ML sound you will love Magnepan. They have even more clarity. I went from the Odysseys to the Magnepan 3.6 and they were much better without the muddy base. They did not quite sound as warm as the ML. A used 3.6 can be had for $1900-$2300. You will need a sub if you use them for movies or are a base hound.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Magnepan speakers are much better-sounding than Martin-Logan, if you are interested in planar speakers.

I suggest that you look at the Magnepan 1.7 and 3.7; they are both awesome speakers.

Read some reviews; do some research.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts