AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks - I'm new to NAS and my Synology 411j with 4x2 TB drives arrives tomorrow. Needless to say I'm pretty psyched!
I've been streaming media to this point from my vista or win7 PCs via either the PS3 Media Server app (to my PS3, of course) or the Air Video Server app (to my ipad). Since I'm new to all of this media streaming stuff (I also just got a Sonos system for my music which is great), I was wondering if I'll need either of these server apps on my Synology for the same functionality (the NAS will be hard-wired to nearly everything in my entire system - I'm hoping for Gigabit transfers where I need them). I assume the air video server will install on the NAS and function as before via wifi? I was only using the PS3 media server because I didn't think that Windows Media Player 11 could output .mkv & .iso files to the PS3. Will I still need the PS3 media server, would it even work on the NAS, or would I be better suited using something else? I've been doing lots of research but I'm still a newb when it comes to video file types, codecs, etc. Also, does DLNA enter into play here?

Thanks, as always, for any and all assistance. I will continue to troll the forums for all guidance (they're invaluable).

·
Registered
150 Posts
You shouldnt need the PS3 Media Server anymore with the PS3 hard wired in it should just pic up your NAS and as long as the file you have on the NAS is supported by PS3 you are good to go. Make note PS3 does not have a gig port. I have a Netgear wirelessN with gig switch hooked to a Netgear Ready NAS Duo PS3 plugged into same router works perfect. I have all our home movies in 1080p and I ripped my bluray collection on the NAS and the PS3 works like a champ, all our music and pics can stream from it right to the PS3 and no computer even has to be on other than the NAS.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. One clarification - the PS3 does have a 10/100/1000 (gigabit) ethernet port. But after doing more research I've realized the following: I was using PS3 media server to convert mkv and iso files on the fly for viewing on the PS3 (the PS3 will not recognize nor play either of these file types). So, if you're in the same situation as me you can use mkv2vob and HandBrake software to convert these file types to mpg and mp4 files on your PC, and then these can be played by the Synology. Otherwise, Synology + PS3 won't work with mkv and iso files. Second, Air Video cannot be installed nor run on the Synology NAS (I'm not sure about other brands, but I imagine it's a similar story there too). Air Video is a relatively processor-intensive conversion program and the NAS can't handle it.

As a result, I'm probably going to be getting a network media tank (Popcorn Hour, etc.) that will support conversion of both iso and mkv file types (+ more!). Streaming to an ipad, however, via Air Video is still something that I haven't yet figured out.

HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts