AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Unfortunately loosing my cable to try and save money here and there. I need to set up so I can receive local HD channels.

I'm using a 1998 Unity Motion 32" monitor (yea I know its old but it gets me by).

The monitor accepts component 480P, 720P and 1080I. I also have a VGA input as well as RGB.

I'm looking for a good tuner and if such a thing is out there, a tuner with a DVR.

I live on the 2nd floor of a 3 floor apartment building but luckily have line of site to most towers in NYC maybe 30 miles away.

Almost all of my main channels are -44 to -55db on dtv.gov

If anyone can recommend a good HD tuner or a tuner with DVR I'd highly appreciate it.

I am also not sure if different tuners have different quality front ends in them making them more sensitive or less sensitive?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Welcome to AVS Forum!

The following sticky thread at the top of this forum lists all the currently-available HDTV tuners and DVRs, and has links to threads that discuss each of them. Unfortunately, there aren't very many choices.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095

In addition, a sticky thread in the HDTV Recorders forum compares the options for HD DVRs:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1204433

Note the Tivo HD is being replaced with the Tivo Premiere a.k.a. "Series 4," and there's a thread about this unit:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232191

Finally, if you need advice about antennas:

1. Go to tvfool.com .

2. Click "See Which TV Stations You Can Get on a Map", then "Start MAPS".

3. Enter your address, or your exact latitude and longitude if you know them, and click the "Map this" button. You'll get a map showing your supposed location, and a list of stations.

4. If necessary, adjust your location by dragging the marker around on the map.

5. Underneath the map, enter the height of your antenna (current or planned).

6. Above the map, click the "Make Radar Plot" button. You'll get a table of detailed information about the signal levels at your location. You'll also get a Web address that links to that page. Paste the address here so people can advise you intelligently. (Note that the table does not display your exact location.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am ordering the Centronics 502 but I just realized something.

Do these tuners allow you to force certain formats? For example only output 720P and 1080I?

Reason I ask is my monitor will NOT accept 480I via component. I can only use 480P, 720P and 1080I.

It may be a royal PITA if I cannot limit formats. Will have to switch between Svid for 480I and component for everything else.

Or do all OTA stations now do 720P and 1080I?

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
On component and hdmi outputs you can choose to convert everything to 480i, 720p or 1080i. S-video and composite outputs are always 480i.

Also, many stations' channels and sub channels are only 480i.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the centronics 502 ordered. Should be here in a week.

As long as I can have it only output 720P and 1080I to the component outputs I'll be ok.

Svideo has a line doubler built in the tv ergo that can accept 480I. The component inputs bypass this and can only accept 480P as a minimum. I think this is due to the tv having a minimum acceptable horizontal refresh of 30KHz.

At any rate. Sounds like i'm set.

I thought ALL stations had to be HD now? I guess not.

I would assume all of the major ones like CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC are 720P or 1080I as well as DD?

·
Registered
736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetube0a3 /forum/post/18293876

Am ordering the Centronics 502 but I just realized something.

Do these tuners allow you to force certain formats? For example only output 720P and 1080I?

Reason I ask is my monitor will NOT accept 480I via component. I can only use 480P, 720P and 1080I.

It may be a royal PITA if I cannot limit formats. Will have to switch between Svid for 480I and component for everything else.

Or do all OTA stations now do 720P and 1080I?

The ZAT502 has a resolution button on the remote that sets the output resolution. It will toggle through 480i/720p/1080i. It will stay where set. Similar to your TV, the input I have mine connected to only supports 720p or 1080i. Its native resolution is 720p so I leave the 502 set to output 720p.

There is a dedicated thread for the Centronics HD Tuners here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts