AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have been fixated on the DLP boards and am currently waiting for the Samsung HLP 5674 to come out. I personally believe that plasma's have a better picture then dlp, but burn-in and longevity are big issues for me. I will be playing a lot of video games with ps2, xbox and PC. I have been hearing that plasma's don't have as much burn-in risk as they used to have and the longevity is up to 60,000 hours. Here are my questions.

1) Is burn-in going to be an issue?

2) Can I use a PC with plasma?

3) Does the plasma's brightness start to fade out? ex. 50% less brightness after 30,000 hours?

Thank you for any help.

Garrett

·
Read the FAQ!
36,424 Posts
The longevity issue is a red herring. Most current plasma designs are spec'ed at 60,000 hours to 1/2 reduction in brightness, but that doesn't take account that most people run properly calibrated plasmas at reduced brightness to begin with -- which slows aging and allows for future adjustment upwards to counter aging.

The burn in issue is important. You can eliminate the chances for burn-in by reducing the brightness/contrast of the display -- which is commonly what would occur when you calibrate the display for critical viewing -- and by making sure high contrast elements are not fixed in location on the screen -- channel surfing while watching TV for instance, or avoiding having all your watching done with content that includes letterbox or pillarbox bars.

But for folks who want to attach video games to their displays as the primary source or want to use such displays primarily as computer monitors, I would seriously suggest you consider LCD flat panel technology instead. Although not immune to burn-in it is far more resistant to it. Plasmas used with care can make perfectly good game or computer monitors but the odds you will leave a static image on screen for an extended period of time, or that you will constantly repeat the same image, is much greater in that sort of use. Burn-in is due to the uneven aging of the pixels, so a repeated image is just as bad as a static image.

For more than you probably ever wanted to know about burn-in, read the master burn-in thread at the top of this forum.

--Bob

·
Registered
724 Posts
Gaming with consoles, OK

Gaming with PC, chancy. IMO.

Windows has a lot of static elements, and I would be leery of having it displayed on ANY burnable set. All I can say is, TASKBAR.

Now consoles, not a big deal. Plenty of testimonials that gaming on plasmas is OK provided you let it wear in a bit first (or are real careful at first).

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMonkey
Gaming with PC, chancy. IMO.

Windows has a lot of static elements, and I would be leery of having it displayed on ANY burnable set. All I can say is, TASKBAR.
*shrug* to each their own comfort level, I grant you the a PC is likely more dangerous than a console (because of the fact that you have a desktop) however, with a little caution I would say it really isn't any more dangerous. You can turn on autohide for the taskbar, for example. And legend has it they do make screen savers. =P Essentially current gen plasma = CRT monitor and I'm not stressing about uneven phosphor wear on my current CRT (and it's not even calibrated).

·
Registered
184 Posts
i had a toshiba 40h80 a few years ago and experienced burn-in after two hours of gaming with reduced contrast. not sure how much higher or lower burn-in risk is with plasmas. pc desktop would be a problem unless you know of a way to auto-hide the title bar, menubar, etc. of web browser and other apps. i don't think it's unusual to use a pc for up to a couple hours at a time, or more. i'm sure you could find a way to change your habits such that you take breaks at regular 20 minute intervals or something. but it seems kind of silly to create these problems for yourself when you can buy an lcd/dlp rptv or lcd tv and avoid them entirely.

·
Registered
767 Posts
U also have to make a difference between burn in and phantom image. A burn in will NOT go away, as for a phantom image can be taken care of by using the white display method most of the time. At least that's what i read here and around...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.