AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my story:

I bought a 42" Toshiba LCD HDTV back in the summer. But they had to special order it. So in the meantime they game me a Panasonic plasma and it think it was around 40". But i didnt like it because compared to my parents 1080p LCD the picture was not very sharp or as clear as it could have been. Now maybe the models was only 720p or just a bad model im not sure. But anyways I loved everything about The Toshiba TV after i got it excpet for its horrid viewing angles and black levels. So im going to sell that TV within the month.

So im starting to look for a replacement ($1,000-$1,500) and i was looking at LCD's because that's what I'm quite knowledgeable in. (at least now after having bought the Toshiba). And i was looking for a good LCD with amazing black levels and viewing angles in dark settings, and there really aren't any unless your want to pay an arm and a leg for an LED backlit LCD.

So then i thought about plasmas. But im a little skeptical after my run in with the panasonic plasma earlier and the issue with burn in.

So my question is, Are they any plasmas that would suit my needs and concerns? Below is the list of requirements and concerns.

1. Great Black Levels in dark room

2. 1080p

3. 42" 40" Possibly even 37"

4. No Burn In (I tend to accidentally leave my TV on for a couple hours sometimes)

5. Sharpness look compared to LCD's that i explained earlier

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Well even the backlit LCDs have terrible viewing angles. Unfortunately that's just the current reality of LCD TVs. You don't, however, need to get an LED LCD to have great black levels. The current Samsung LCDs have very good blacks even with the standard non-LED backlight. Viewing angles continue to suck though.

It sounds like Panasonic is your only plasma option here. No other manufacturers make a 42" 1080p model. I recommend the pz80. Burn in won't be an issue unless you leave a static image on a screen for days at a time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea but are the lcds still blAck at night? Also I would want a screen (LCD or plasma) that doesn't reflect of light.

So anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
As the previous poster noted, Samsungs blacks are pretty good but the off axis viewing sucks.

I personally don't have an explanation for the crappy picture you noted on the panasonic they lent you unless you weren't watching it in HD or your eye prefers the more vivid "pop" of the LCD sets. Brighter, (interpreted by some as sharper) but more un-realistic picture.

The 12G panasonics are supposed to be brighter (see that thread) but they won't be out until late spring/summer depending upon the model.

You could pick up the 1080P 42" panasonic at costco for under 1K and return the thing no questions asked within 30 days if you don't like it. Alternatively, check out the forum sponsors. Your basically at the samsung LCD with poor off axis or giving the pansonic 42 a shot in that range.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeypunch42 /forum/post/15539269

As the previous poster noted, Samsungs blacks are pretty good but the off axis viewing sucks.

I personally don't have an explanation for the crappy picture you noted on the panasonic they lent you unless you weren't watching it in HD or your eye prefers the more vivid "pop" of the LCD sets. Brighter, (interpreted by some as sharper) but more un-realistic picture.

The 12G panasonics are supposed to be brighter (see that thread) but they won't be out until late spring/summer depending upon the model.

You could pick up the 1080P 42" panasonic at costco for under 1K and return the thing no questions asked within 30 days if you don't like it. Alternatively, check out the forum sponsors. Your basically at the samsung LCD with poor off axis or giving the pansonic 42 a shot in that range.

Wow, thank you donkeypunch42, that was a great post. And as the the plasma they let me borrow, it was in HD, but I did not calibrate it to appropriate settings. Think that could have been the problem?

Ok ive narrowed it down to 3 choices:

1. Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ85U 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV

2. Sony Bravia XBR KDL-40XBR6 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV

3. Samsung LN40A650 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV

Now I have concerns with all three sets:

For set #1, my concerns are glare, burn in and not as sharp looking picture as LCD. For set #2 they are the price (about $1,600 off amazon) and fluctuating black levels as descrived in its CNET review. And for the Set #3 my concerns is glare and the purple haze.

So as you see, im stuck and need help. So PLEASE can you guys help lead me in the right direction or give me your honest opinion of those 3 TVs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Go with 1,panasonic.especially since if you have read anything in the past about the TVs your inquiring have no real issue with IR or burn in...,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts