AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i recently broke down and bought a brand new, in the box X1. i had been wanting a projector for quite some time and finally went ahead and bought one. i went with the X1 because it was pretty cheap and i had heard some awesome reviews about it.

anyways, it came in the mail last friday. i plugged it in and my jaw dropped. i was amazed at the quality of image i was getting. right now i have it set 13 feet from my wall, projecting a 94" image.

now to my questions, i have a sony HT-6800 home theater system. should i have the dvd player switched to progressive or not? right now it is set to progressive. im running a set of component cables from the dvd player to the projector via the vesa to component adapter. do i get the best picture from progressive mode or does it depend?

another question, i havent really tinkered with the color settings that much but im beginning to wonder what these should be set at. ive read about running some THX calibration discs but have no idea where to get them. should i just experiment with these on my own or are there some good settings i should be using?

also, i upgraded to the latest firmware. not the sp8000 or whatever but the 4.3 i think it is...

thanks

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I've had my X1 for almost a year now and it's great. If you're talking about a home theater in box system, you'll probably get a better picture setting it to interlaced and hook up to the X1's S-video/component adapter. Try it both ways and you be the judge. As far as your settings, you need to get a calibration disc such as Avia or Digital Video Essentials and run thru it. Any DVD with the "THX Optimizer" will also get you close. I use film mode, warm temperature, contrast(42)

Color and tint is usually at 50(the default settings). Brightness depends on your DVD player, screen, etc.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Here are my favorite settings:

Mode: Film

Contrast 50

Brightness 56 (but this one does depend on your dvd player so try using the THX optimizer)

Tint: 47

Color: 66 (any higher causes blooming, but I only noticed it easily on animated DVDs)

Temperature: Cool (actually I switch back and forth sometimes between cool and warmest. It's a tough choice)

Red: 63

Green: 50 (I noticed that green above about 57 can cause pretty big blowouts in bright highlights)

Blue: 63

Sharpness: Sharpest (most people run "sharper", but doesn't really matter to me because I used FFDShow to really sharpen up the picture)

Unless your player is a fairly high end progressive player you might want to let the X1's faroudja take over by turning off progressive scan.

I remember when I first got my free X1 demo unit for evaluation; I was stunned, so I bought one immediately after returning it to Infocus. It took awhile before I began to really notice its faults and upgraded to something many times more stunning for $300 less than the X1 (a CRT projector :)). You should be very happy with it for a while though if you're not too picky like I was. I still enjoy it though even after having seen the greatness that is CRT.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Welcome Tfizzle -

Are you just using your DVD player with your X1? If you will also use cable/OTA, then you might want to consider 480i for SD (via Component-to-SVid dongle) - IMHO makes regular channels look much smoother and brighter than 480p. Just take a look at any Star Wars or PixelWorks DVD you probably have - in one of the submenus, usually the settings menu, will be the THX setup guide.

Wait until you catch a game on the big screen in downscaled 1080i! Go Niners! (Just don't blame me if you suddenly notice that everyone else is looking at you funny because you were doing the Wave, thinking you were on the 50-yard line, waiting for your beer and garlic fries!):D:D:D

Next step: A DYI screen, manual screen, or something in the custom arena? (Do yourself a favor and don't browse through these forums too much, or you'll get the Upgradeitis bug too soon!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the replies....

yes my dvd player is part of one of those "home theater in a box" deals.

i have both of the adapters from infocus. the vesa to component and the s-vid to component. im gonna try them both out and also turn off progressive.

i will be using my X1 also for xbox. i already have the HD pack for this and hooked up. it is simply stunning! im not sure yet if im going to be using it with my cable box though. i do not have a HDTV cable box so the one i have currently only has composite and s-vid out. so that all depends on if i upgrade or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i turned off the progressive scan and hooked my dvd player up via the s-vid to component and i must say i wasnt that impressed.

i flipped the progressive scan back on and switched to the vesa to component adapter and thought it was a better picture. it seemed like it brightened up the picture and made more detail pop out. this was while watching Monsters Inc. its the only pixar film that i could find.

·
Registered
69 Posts
iirc X1 has the Farouja but the X1A doesn't. Do you have an X1 or X1A? If you have an X1A then I would guess keeping all sources on progressive would be best. If its an X1 then I would calibrate your source(s) and do some a/b'ing.

Peace,

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfizzle
well i turned off the progressive scan and hooked my dvd player up via the s-vid to component and i must say i wasnt that impressed.

i flipped the progressive scan back on and switched to the vesa to component adapter and thought it was a better picture. it seemed like it brightened up the picture and made more detail pop out. this was while watching Monsters Inc. its the only pixar film that i could find.
DVD players when in progressive mode tend to increase brightness/contrast in order to give a perceived difference. In each case, with progressive on and off, you need to calibrate your settings with a calibration dvd like AVIA, DVE, or THX. After calibration, your picture should be very similar.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
TFizzle,

Monsters Inc has a fabulous picture but I would suggest not using cartoons for evaluating a system. Cartoons tend to look very good in any case, and a projector that has real problems can nevertheless look great with a great cartoon.

I suggest trying high-quality live action films (stay away from highly stylized films like LOTR) and also calibration disks.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
TFizzle,

Monsters Inc has a fabulous picture but I would suggest not using cartoons for evaluating a system. Cartoons tend to look very good in any case, and a projector that has real problems can nevertheless look great with a great cartoon.

I suggest trying high-quality live action films (stay away from highly stylized films like LOTR) and also calibration disks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
First thing on your list should be to flash it with the 4800 firmware, then you won't have to fart around so much getting a fantastic picture.

My $0.02

·
Registered
119 Posts
A) I second Taiser's recommendation to flash 4800 firmware. It made a noticeable difference for me. Search around for the firmware and instructions.

B) jbeach3 ... are you using an s-video cable or are you using component cables to s-video adaptor? I found a noticeable improvement in color saturation with component cables over s-video cables run to the s-video input on PJ. I run my dvd player in 480i and let faroudja do it's magic in the X1.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I find that using the s-video gives the best picture unless I'm using my upconverting LG. Normal DVD though use the onboard faroudja...I've yet to see a modest DVD player match it for quality.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Try using the digital video essetials disk to calibrate. It is kind of tricky to navigate the menu but once you get it down its easy.

I also have a x1 and did not calibrate it until I had about 1000 hours on the bulb and it made a huge differnce for me. I made two settings for my x1: 1 for watching movies, 1 for gaming.

On my gaming settting I adjusted the PJ's color, contrast, and brightness settings while in presentation mode. I find that using presentation mode while gaming helps you to see better in the darker areas of the games; I also have a xbox. While it does wash the colors out to some degree (this can be adjusted via calibration) being able to see what is about to jump out of a dark corner and shoot you does have its advantages.

If you really want the best picture quality go with a HTPC and send the PJ its native res of 800x600, but that's a whole nother story...

Have fun and welcome!!!

Gushy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.