AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm finishing my basement and need some advice about Projecter and screen installations, before I start putting drywall. I have been a fan of this site for long time and I appreciate any and all the help any body can offer me.

1. I'll be buying Sony VW60 or JVC RS1/2

2. I'm planning to use the wall as the projection surface (I heard about a paint which can be used to paint the wall for projection). Is there any diadvantanges in using painted wall than using a proper screen.

3. Available Width of the wall is 120 inch (after excluding space for front side speakers and Media cabinet). Height of the wall is 80 inch (after excluding space for Center speaker).

4. On projectorcentral, for this size of picture (120x68), it shows that I need throw distance of 17.1 feet but I want to install the projector ceiling mounted at 10.4 feet away from the screen and my viewing distance is 25 feet. Is it possible to have this picture size from the throw distance of 10.4 feet or do I have to keep it at 17 plus feet.

5. Celing height is 8 ft but I have a beam which is in beetween Projector and Screen. Beam is about 12 inch down from the ceiling. How much I will have to hang the projector down from the ceiling for beam to not come in the way of projection.

6. As I understand that these two models are Anarormic lens capable (for 2.35 picture), which I'll be buying later on, what kind of rough-in setup is needed (as far as extra wires, extra power point, extra space) which i should do for future, where I'm mounting the projector.

7. Apart from above mentioned concerns, should I be concerend about anyother minor or major detail about this setup.

Sorry for the long post but I'm at a point where I need to calculate the space and distances about this setup before I can continue with rest of the basement finishing.

Thanks a lot.

Roop

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
In order you asked:

1. All are good options with their own pros and cons.

2. It works, but ultimately you'll want to get a screen to maximize performance.

3. Too big without proper screen.

4. Ignore PC...at 10.4', you can have a max screen size of 89" wide. Any bigger, you have to move it back.

5. Depends on how far in front of the lens it is and how high your screen is relative to the beam.

6. Clarification...RS1 does not have stretch. I would run the standard video cables you'll need, along with a couple CAT5E.

7. This is a big screen, so you might want to get the projector first and try it before you commit to a size/location.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason for your help. Looks like I have to install the projector between 14 feet to 27 feet from the screen.

Total height of the wall where I'm going to project is 85 inch below the ceiling. The beam is 12 inch down the ceiling. In other words lens will be 18 inch down from ceiling for it to avoid the beam in the light path.

To keep aspect ratio, with width of 120 inch, I can only have 68 inch of vertical length of the screen.

Any idea how should I proceed with screen placement on the wall. Should I leave 18 inch of wall from top (which will make it at the same level as the lens) and then install screen or is that not enough.

Also one of my friend recommends buying Panasonic PT-AE2000U instead of Sony VW60 or JVC RS2. He says that Panasonic has the best Lumens and 16000:1 color contrast. I thought that VW60 or RS2 are the best in its category but when I checked Projectcentral, Panasonic is listed at number 1 and JVC is at 7. Please help me decide out of these three or if someone can suggest me a website which has comparison reviews of these models.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roopG /forum/post/14210644

Thanks Jason for your help. Looks like I have to install the projector between 14 feet to 27 feet from the screen.

Total height of the wall where I'm going to project is 85 inch below the ceiling. The beam is 12 inch down the ceiling. In other words lens will be 18 inch down from ceiling for it to avoid the beam in the light path.

To keep aspect ratio, with width of 120 inch, I can only have 68 inch of vertical length of the screen.

Any idea how should I proceed with screen placement on the wall. Should I leave 18 inch of wall from top (which will make it at the same level as the lens) and then install screen or is that not enough.

Also one of my friend recommends buying Panasonic PT-AE2000U instead of Sony VW60 or JVC RS2. He says that Panasonic has the best Lumens and 16000:1 color contrast. I thought that VW60 or RS2 are the best in its category but when I checked Projectcentral, Panasonic is listed at number 1 and JVC is at 7. Please help me decide out of these three or if someone can suggest me a website which has comparison reviews of these models.

Thanks.

On the lens shift...not quite. The JVC's have a relatively large vertical offset so you can be above the image a good amount. So, let's say you are 12" beam down, and the lens is 13" down...the screen top would have to be no less than 13" from the ceiling or the beam will cut it off. But let's say the beam is 12", and the screen is 18" down...then, the projector could actually be above the 12" beam drop and fire down...how much depends on how far back from the beam the projector is and how much lens shift your projector has. Make sense?

Pertaining to the Panasonic...it is the brightest of the bunch, but has lower contrast and black levels than either the Sony or JVC (real world results, not exaggerated manufacturers specs).

Generally the Panasonic isn't as good, but, it is cheaper as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts