AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm completely new to digital projectors. I've read the pros and cons for a projector as apposed to a rear screen projection TV and as I am a little disapointed with the current stock of those tvs. The new grand wegas are the only viable option for a good lcd projection tv but the inability to run the tv at it's native resolution is a big hit.

Being new to the idea i was hoping you guys could give me some suggestions where to start looking for a good projector.

My first question is how watchable is a projector in not completely dark room? Are there any screens that help with this?

What is a good price point for an LCD projector with adequate brightness to project a 60 to 70" diagonal image watchable a low light room?

Can most lcd projectors display at their native resolutions sharp enough to turn the lights down and play some computer games with text?

Lastly could you guys suggest a few lcd projectors that are good buys for the money, can be less but not more that $2500.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

·
Registered
69 Posts
Take a look at the NEC VT45.

If your using a computer, and you connect it via VGA input then in a lightly lit room it will good. VGA tends to be a little bright then say a DVD player.

You can buy high gain screens, which improve your contrast which will make it more watchable in the light. The most popular is Dalite, but very expensive.

Watching or playing in the dark is a lot more entralling anyways!

The VT45 cost me 2200 canadian, so if you're american you're looking at probable 15 or 18 hundred at the most I would think.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The VT45 is a great little projector, but not a great HT projector.

I'd recommend the Sanyo PLV-Z1 or Panasonic AE200 if you want true 16:9. They're inexpensive, so you can put some of your cash into a screen, installation hardware, etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, there is definately some better stuff out there for HT, but at the price point he wants, it's going to be entry level, and I think the VT45 or similar PJ is a great starting point.

It does HDTV, 16:9 (even though there is some waste there) and really for the guy who is just getting into it, and maybe does not want to dump all of his cash into it, the VT45 is a way to go, not the way, but a solution.

If I had the extra moolah, I would've got a screen, which would improve your PQ greatly, but I wanted that big screen on the cheap, and it was really just for gameing and DVD and it has all the other benefits like HDTV resolutions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.