AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 5060 at Costco. Does anyone know if it will qualify for a $50 rebate if I purchase the lifetime service for it?

Also, any ideas on how the "lifetime" of the equipment works? I've read I could replace the hard-drive, but what other items are replaceable without losing the lifetime activation that is attached to this unit?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Its lifetime for that unit

If you break the seal you void the warrenty.

You should check to see if you get channel 6 and channel 44.

You should hang out and learn about other possible flaws with the unit

If it had a rebate for $50 you can use it without getting service. service is irrelivant.

You can move shows from your replay to your computer hardrives and still watch those s hows on your replay with a program called DVarchive.

Don't break the seal and open the unit till you hang around here and learn much.

I repeat... you should ask around about defects the unit may have before your 2-3 service trial expires. If you haven't looked it up. study for a day here then speedily do the tests.

There's no rebate on purchasing a lifetime service

read posts, read the FAQ. it actually is filled with browsable knowledge, and learn to use the search feature on this board and you'll learn all kinds of stuff in no time...er alot of time ifyou get adicted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because of the lack of time before the trial expires before activation can you please tell me where I can find the steps required to do the tests on the unit?

I've upgraded it's software, and the fan sound is very quiet (at this point). I'm switching to two of these units from the Dish PVR 508's, because I think they will start charging for PVR access, even on these older models in the near future and they don't offer any great features like the replay does...

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Jason... I don't think there is actually a battery of test listed anywhere, so here are a couple of things to test:

Like Cow says, make sure that you can tune to channels 6 and 44 with the Replay's internal tuner (assuming you will use the internal tuner, otherwise I guess it doesn't matter). This has been a problem for some.

Make sure that your remote control is responsive. There should be little or no lag when, for instance, scrolling the program listings. This of course does not mean that there won't be a lag when switching channels on what you're viewing, because of the time to buffer the live TV.

That's good that your fan isn't too loud. Assuming you have the unit hooked up, are you using broadband? Testing some basic connectivity to DVArchive (see the FAQ) wouldn't be a bad idea, but there really aren't any systemic replay issues that cause problems there.

I don't really think there is much else to do.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
Like Cow says, make sure that you can tune to channels 6 and 44 with the Replay's internal tuner (assuming you will use the internal tuner, otherwise I guess it doesn't matter). This has been a problem for some.
Well, actuallly it is tune to a channel higher than 44, and see if you get (a snowy) 44 instead of the channel you tuned to.

Of course, 5.0 Build 110 contains a channel 44 fix...so if you have this version, you might have trouble finding out if your hardware had this problem or not.

The Dreamer.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I bought 2 5060s from Costco. You can submit 1 Costco rebate even if you bought 2 from Costco.

I think that you'll really enjoy your new machines. If you don't have a broadband connection, you might consider taking this opportunity to jump onto the bandwagon. As far as I can tell, those using broadband have far fewer issues than those using dialup.

If you're gonna get two, take advantage of the networking features on these babies. It is almost magic that you can set a recording to happen on a different machine. Also, I stream from one unit to the other almost every day.

One other little secret...the 5060s actually have 80 gig HDs in them. IF you decide you want to crack the case, all you need to do is patch the drive for it to see the extra 20 gig on each drive.

Have fun and welcome!

Matthew in CO

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Darn it Creech! I can't believe I didn't remember to spring that bonus 80GB thing on him!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
Darn it Creech! I can't believe I didn't remember to spring that bonus 80GB thing on him!
:cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are using a Modem for connection, force a connection by pressing 2-4-3-Zones sequence and force a connection. When finished, repeat. Hope it doesn't hang.

Leave it overnight on live TV. Check for a hang in

the morning.

And enjoy your Replay! In spite of the warts left by the previous corporate owner, I think it is still the best PVR available.

-Matt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any idea on how I can find the rebate form for the $50 from Costco? It didn't print out with my receipt. And, I bought them both yesterday (9/30) so I may be eligable for a manufactuers rebate?

I probably won't go into the unit, yet to enable the 80 gig of space, but I may in the future. I just want to make sure this will work for me. The fact that myreplaytv.com is down and I can't share movies is sort of scary to me... I'm worried about two things before activating two of these and putting out $500 in activation fees. They are:

discontinuation of commercial advance

discontinuation of movie/video sharing

Any comments on any of these issues? Thank guys for your help!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
General consensus around here is that both CA and IVS (show sharing) will be continued for existing models sold with those features.

The industry sharks who attacked Sonic Blue for offering them are assumed to be placated by DNNAs discontinuation of those features on any new models.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
If you take one back and buy it again with someone elses card you can get both rebates.

That thing has a 80 gig harddrive in it but is formated to 60 gigs, btw, as mentioned by someone else

It's important to check the remote responce as mentioned but keep in mind that all replays have slow menus and responce... you want to check for odd and ridiculously long pauses, not just for somewhat annoying slow response(thats normal).

I'm having you focus on all the bad things. If you get through all the checks and can live with some quirks, the features are the upside and amazing. especially if you are the type to download 3rd party software for the thing.

good luck.

remember, you can delay activating the trial service and work on the list of thigns to check first.

another thing to check is if using myreplay.com makes your machine crash. out of odd coincidence, the myreplay.com site is down. The site doesn't constantly go down if you are wondering..this is something special. not sure what they are doing.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
P.S. Don't ask us the terms of the rebate. Read the darn small print like a lawyer about 7 times!

I doubt they are taking away IVS, and if they ever did, I even more doubt they would ever take away commercial advance. commercial advance(CA) ROCKS.

cow

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried tuning to channels 6 and 44, but it said there was no video source. Could this be because the channels don't exist in my area, or should it have shown the "snow" anyway?

Is it better to stick with this model (5060) or go get a 5040 on the ReplayTV website with the lifetime activation. I paid $179 for this unit (no activation included). Comes out to just under $430, or I can get the unit on replaytv.com for just under $400.

It would be alot nicer if I could find out if I qualify for the $50 rebate on this unit, but I can't find any rebate forms for it... any suggestions?

·
Registered
499 Posts
If there is no signal a blue screen is standard, there won't be snow. If you never got ch 6 or 44 before then don't worry.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The units from Costco had their rebates handled by Costco. You need to call Costco for the rebate forms for that model.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joesc1
The units from Costco had their rebates handled by Costco. You need to call Costco for the rebate forms for that model.
Should be part of the reciept. All you need to do is fill in your information and toss it in the mail My rebate came just about 5 weeks later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately my rebate wasn't part of the receipt. But I did purchase it on 9/30, so it should have been valid. I will see if they will honor the rebate instore, or at the corporate offices... Thanks for everyones help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.