AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums and also new to the SACD/DVD-A discs...

I am currently on vacation and I came across these 2 formats and hear that they promise outstanding sound!

I have called home to see if my DVD player is compatible and it is! I also have a sourround sound system with a Denon receiver.

I have purchased:

Celine Dion - All The Way SACD

Celine Dion - A New Day Has Come SACD

Britney Spears - In The Zone DUAL DISC

Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin DUAL DISC

Faith Hill - Cry DVD-AUDIO

Shania Twain - Up! DVD AUDIO

Mariah Carey - #1's SACD

Now, what do I need to know while wiring my DVD player with my Sound System? Do I need to change any settings? Or do I just hook up and everything will be fine?? Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
You need to connect the player to the receiver with 6 analog cables to get SACD/DVD-A. (There are some that will do this with iLink or DenonLink but you did not specify any of your equipment, so we cannot know if that applies.)

BTW, how do you know your player will play these formats?

Kal

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the manual it says it will play DVD-A and SACD

I have a Samsung DVD-HD841

I'm not sure of the model of my receiver off-hand (as I am not at home)...

So I need 6 separate cables connected to the receiver?

How about audio through a coaxial cable? (not sure if it's for audio)

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Hi-res audio will NOT go through the coax digital audio connection of your player. You MUST connect six analogue cables from your player to the receiver's MCH input. In your player's menu, you should set all the speakers to SMALL and sub ON (assuming you have a sub).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I do have a sub-woofer... What are the 6 cables I need, how much are they roughly and where can I get them?

How can I tell for sure it is playing the proper audio files??

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
1. Regular RCA-terminated stereo interconnects. Get three pairs. Not expensive and available anywhere from RadioShack on up.

2. Use the setup menus on the Samsung to default to SACD-multichannel over SACD-stereo or CD-stereo. Set it to default to DVD-Audio over DVD-Video.

Kal

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3 pairs of the RCA connectors?? Those are the white-yellow-red ones, right?? Can you describe them? I need 2 pairs of the SAME cord??

·
Registered
213 Posts
The white-yellow-red cords are used for video as well. You only need the RCA cables that have white & red.

So, you need a cable that has 2xRCA connections on each end (red & white).

You need 3 of these, one for the two front, one for the two rear, and one for the centre & sub.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
As was mentioned above, regular RCA cables from Radio Shack and other places will work just fine.

I feel I should mention that Monster (your views on them may vary) offers a kit with the specific interconnects clearly labeled such as L, R, LR, RR, C, S. Nothing you couldn't do yourself with a marking pen----and personally I'd recommend it so you don't get confused when making the initial connections, but more importantly, it will speed things up if you ever need to disconnect, then reconnect the cords. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_dipaolo
3 pairs of the RCA connectors?? Those are the white-yellow-red ones, right?? Can you describe them? I need 2 pairs of the SAME cord??
3 sets of 2 cables each or 2 sets of 3 cables each will do.

Kal

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation
Hi-res audio will NOT go through the coax digital audio connection of your player. You MUST connect six analogue cables from your player to the receiver's MCH input. In your player's menu, you should set all the speakers to SMALL and sub ON (assuming you have a sub).
I have the same player. I had the speakers set to small on my previous DVD player and have them set to small on my receiver, but Samsung recommends setting the speakers to large. I haven't had the chance to see if I can tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
To the moderators: Any way we can make this thread or a similar thread (since this one is kinda specific for this member) a sticky?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey!

I'm having trouble hooking up my DVD player with my Receiver. My dad did all the connections himself, but he is currently on vacation and I am anxious to test out my SACD and DVD-Audio stuff.

I have a DENON AVR-3300 receiver and a SAMSUNG DVD-HD841 player. How do I make the connections for 5.1 channel??

Is the optical or coaxial good enough?

Any help will be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
As stated in Post #4 the optical and coax connection will not pass the multi-channel signal. Page 12 of the Denon manual shows the proper hookup for the receiver and Page 11 of the Samsung manual (method 2) also provides and example of 5.1 hookups.

In addition see Kal's helpful post (#6) for setting up the output for the Samsung unit.

Peace,

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
Hey!

I'm having trouble hooking up my DVD player with my Receiver. My dad did all the connections himself, but he is currently on vacation and I am anxious to test out my SACD and DVD-Audio stuff.

I have a DENON AVR-3300 receiver and a SAMSUNG DVD-HD841 player. How do I make the connections for 5.1 channel??

Is the optical or coaxial good enough?

Any help will be appreciated!!!
As mentioned before, optical or coax won't do the trick. Assuming your pops hooked it up correctly, you need to set your receiver to play from the 5.1 analog inputs. On the Denon 2805 I had recently, at the bottom of the remote, had to push "Ext In" to bypass optical/coaxial inputs and play from the analog 5.1 inputs on the receiver. Might wanna check that he even hooked-up the DVD player to the receiver correctly. If there's only coax or optical in the back, and no connections into the EXT IN 5.1 inputs (should be 6 plugs), you need to do it to maximize the use of DVDA and SACD.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay, i'm really confused. yes i did read the denon manual and it doesn't get SPECIFIC as to WHERE to connect the cables for 5.1...

there are "pre-out" slots where i can connect cables to... are these the one's i need to connect to my dvd player???

each speaker is connected to the back of the receiver already...

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Does the 3300 have 5.1 analog inputs on teh back or not? That is what you need to connect to for SACD and DVD-A...

You could use 6 single cables, 3 pairs of cables, or 2 triple cables, it doesnt matter, just connect cetner to center, right to rihgt, sub to sub etc....

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
okay, i'm really confused. yes i did read the denon manual and it doesn't get SPECIFIC as to WHERE to connect the cables for 5.1...

there are "pre-out" slots where i can connect cables to... are these the one's i need to connect to my dvd player???

each speaker is connected to the back of the receiver already...
No, not to the pre-outs. Those are for connecting to an external amp.

From the picture I saw of the back of the AVR-3300, each corresponding 5.1 analog output from the DVD player should connect to the corresponding "EXT IN" plugs (FR, FL, SW, C, SR, SL; ER/EL will be for future use) in the upper left side of the back of the 3300. For now, just use any ol' red/white RCA cable you can find. So, yes, you'll have 6 cables/plugs going from the DVD player to the receiver. Then, to play, just press "EXT IN" on the remote/receiver of the Denon.

Come on dude, you can do it. Just lay off the hard stuff for a few minutes so you can hook it up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.