AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and very green when it comes to projectors (have never owned one). I'm very excited about this and looking forward to getting advice. Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide some experienced info.

I decided this route vs a LCD TV, and I want to get a projector and screen set up for in my basement. I want to go with a 100 inch diag screen. It will be used primarily for gaming (PS3) and watching sports. Is that size screen (100inch diag) possible w/a 12ft foot primary viewing/mounting distance, ceiling height will be just under 7 foot w/ceiling tiles a possibility? Would i need lens shift since my ceiling is low? I would also want to be able to view the projector screen (good enough to watch sports) from approx 25 ft away on a 45 degree angle from center--is this possible?. On a budget here and wondering--Is it possible to get a good set up (projector, screen, mounts, anything else needed) for under $600 total? I dont mind used good condition, as long as its not going to be some used up equipment that will need repairs (looking for low bulb life/low usage too). Let me put it this way, if it were you and you had my set up with that budget--what would you buy, knowing what you know.

How important is the screen? Should I try to make one?

Also, can anyone recommend any specific models? Looking for prices specifically i should shoot for paying for that model used and where to look (on here?). Do most have hdmi inputs for my ps3/dishnetwork, or does that not matter on projectors? I let an HD 20 for $300 with 120 lamp hours get away from me and I am bummed.

So again, any help would be awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
You have lots of requirements and very little funds. In addition to what you stated, remember that with a projector you need a dark space and a seperate source for sound. I highly doubt for 600 you can get projector (HD), mount, screen, etc... and will meet your expectations.

More than likely your best bet is going to be LCD for your needs and budget.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
BestBuy is clearing their PJs - go to every one within driving distance and see what they are getting rid of. Optoma HD65s have been purchased for < $400. Visit the DIY Screen section of AVS to make/paint your screen for $50 to $100. Mounts can be had for @ $50 and cables from Monoprice.com are very affordable but good quality.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Welcome, check out the local sales and check out the Epson web site for clearance and refurb items. There are some low-end budget models in the $400-600 range that might meet your needs. You can get by with a cheap ($50-90) screen or just make your own. You can use a small table for your projector so you can easily adjust image placement. Most of the Epsons have lens shift that make this easier. Here are some sample prices:

Epson MovieMate 50 $449

EX-30 $405

W6 $518

There are other choices, of course, but this gives you a starting point. I've seen some cheap Infocus and Viewsonic projectors, but don't know much about them. Check out the review sites and you can learn a lot more.

If your expectations are reasonable, you will be pleasantly surprised at how good an experience and how much fun can be had on a budget.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts