AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i am looking at starting a dedicated home theatre in a spare room. I am on a limited budget. around 1500.00. i am looking at the epson home cinema 700. and the onkyo ht-s6200 htib. i guess my first question: has anyone used either of these units? can you give me some feedback? the other questions are: the projector says 16:10 is that suppose to be 16:9? I have read a few reviews and for an entry level projector it seems great and i can get it locally for 659. the wall i want the screen on is 8'1" wide and 7' tall. what will i need to do to fill the entire wall minus a border around the frame for the screen? the projector will be ceiling mounted. does it need to be set lower than the ceiling? close to the wall i want the image on? i have searched everything for weeks and just have gotten myself confused. like the throw, lens shift and all that. where do i start? i would like to make my own screen with a black border like the ones ive seen constructed on the site. how do you get the perfect picture within those borders? is it from some sort of setting or is it from just moving the projector closer/farther or higher/lower. sorry for sounding like an idiot but i guess i am with everything that is going on in my head trying to figure out what i need toi do. if anyone can help, please do. and if i placed this in the wrong place i am sorry. again thanks for any help i may get.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The HC720 is a good deal at that price. It is 16:9. Project the image on the wall, see how big you want it, then make a screen to fit. Projectors have zoom lenses. Most LCDs have big 2x zoom lenses and lens shift to move the picture up/down and left/right. Most DLPs have a 1.3x zoom and a fixed offset of 30% screen height (the gap from the lens to the top of the screen is 30% of screen height). This usually is not a problem unless you have low ceilings or have to put the porhector more than 15 feet from the screen or less than 10 feel from the screen.

My advice, however, is to get a less expensive HTIB and spend a few hundred more to get a 1080p projector for $1000 like the Optoma HD20.

HTIB like this .

You can see if the projector will fit you room by using this calculator.

My advice is also to wait until all the new projectors come out in mid September and 1080p priices drop.

·
Registered
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/17060316

My advice is also to wait until all the new projectors come out in mid September and 1080p priices drop.

Quoted for truth. ceida is in two weeks. id wait till after the show to buy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts