AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until last night I have been using my audigy's analog-outs for 5.1. However, I discovered while going through my closet full of obsolete computer hardware that my good old Guillimot Maxi Sound Fortissimo card had an OPTICAL OUT!

I immediately plugged the card in and the 2 card solution seems to be working just fine (fortissimo for digital and audigy for analog). My question though is whether it matters in the slightest that I'm using a really old and crappy sound-card for SPDIF??

As I understand it, the audio stream is essentially untouched by the sound card, and it is merely passed on to the reciever. So long as the lip-synching is correct and it doesn't seem to stutter or drop out, is there any reason why I shouldn't be using this dusty old card for SPDIF (subjectively it sounds great)???

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
My question though is whether it matters in the slightest that I'm using a really old and crappy sound-card for SPDIF??
Since it's not doing any transformation/processing, just passing it through, you should be okay. I'd be more concerned about the possible conflicts of having two cards in one system, but from what I've read here, it's been done.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yeah I can't see any issues with that. I run my Audigy for analog sound and my AIW 7500 for SPDIF passthrough because the Audigy SPDIF just wouldn't work.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eswrite
Since it's not doing any transformation/processing, just passing it through, you should be okay. I'd be more concerned about the possible conflicts of having two cards in one system, but from what I've read here, it's been done.
Unfortunately, sometimes the card does do processing - even when used as a pass-thru.

Some cards will take a 44.1 kHz sample rate S/PDIF signal and resample to a 48 kHz S/PDIF signal which is then

output.

That's why certain cards like the M-Audio cards, eg. the Audiophile 24/96, are so popular - they don't resample.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm, is dvd audio natively 48khz or 44.1 or something else entirely?? If it's 48 it shouldn't matter. Why would sound card engineers do such a thing as resample?! Leave it alone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.