AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi All, been reading a lot of info - and still need some help.  I'm trying to get a new sound system going and not sure what to do.  I am coming from a Klipsch 4.1 Promedia's that I have attached to my tv, and I think they sounds pretty great.  I'm looking for a new sub, as theres a buzz coming from it now, It's been about 10 years since I got my speakers.  So instead of trying to fix it, I think I should move on.  

I've learned that most systems, you'll need a receiver to drive the power to the speakers.  I don't really want to do a sound bar, and I would love a slim looking receiver if there is one, or if there is a sub I can get that can still drive the sound to other speakers, that would be pretty awesome as well.

Am i just delaying the inevitable of buying a home theater system, or a quality reciever?

Any help is appreciated.  I'm really close to buying another Promedia 2.1 setup as that's really suiting my needs, just wished I can hook up some bluetooth or use a remote to change the volume :(.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
What is your budget?

I would say ~$300 is about the minimum to get a receiver, some bookshelf speakers, and a sub. Less than that and you could try used or just stick with the ProMedia.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I would go with the following:

Denon AVR-1513 from www.accessories4less.com

Pioneer BS22

Dayton SUB-1200

This will blow that Klipsch setup away, and give you a nice entry level 2.1 system. The Dayton sub and Pioneer subs are regarded as some of the best budget options out there, and this would be a good start for around $300. You can even add a center for 3.1 and be within your $400 budget.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Actually, on that budget I would suggest that you get two pairs of the Dayton B652 speakers.

They sell for a ridiculously low price of $40 per pair at Parts Express, and they are actually much better than most speakers costing $200; they are amazing.

I bought a pair for my den to replace some Boston speakers that cost a lot more.

For the AVR, I suggest the Harman-Kardon AVR 700, which is only $230 at Amazon; hard to beat at that price.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1523401/new-to-speakers-help-coming-from-klipsch-promedias#post_24511025

Actually, on that budget I would suggest that you get two pairs of the Dayton B652 speakers.

They sell for a ridiculously low price of $40 per pair at Parts Express, and they are actually much better than most speakers costing $200; they are amazing.

I bought a pair for my den to replace some Boston speakers that cost a lot more.

For the AVR, I suggest the Harman-Kardon AVR 700, which is only $230 at Amazon; hard to beat at that price.

I have heard the Daytons, they make good garage speakers, but to say they sound better than most $200 speaker is a bit unrealistic. Also, the receiver I recommended is $100, I don't think he should spend over half his budget on that HK which offers no advantages.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any budget reciever - like this demon with Bluetooth?

And does anyone know if klipsch makes tiny living rooms speakers - bookshelfs are nice but I like how small my promedias on our entertainment center

1 - 8 of 8 Posts