AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to set up my first surround setup, and I have a few directions I can take.

The room is in an apartment, so I'll most likely be looking at a 5.0 setup.

I recently picked up a pair of Boston Acoustics CR67's, which I am currently using as 2.0's.

My first step is to buy a receiver in the $200-400 range.

After that, I have two options:

1). Use the CR67's and their matching center as a 3.0 setup for now, and find a pair of rear speakers down the line. Or,

2). Send the CR67's to the back and buy a set of matched center and fronts.

Since the CR67's are discontinued, I'm not sure what to look for in a center channel. I think the CRC was the original matching speaker, but I can't say for certain. Does anyone know if I can use a more recent (and easier to find) Boston Acoustics speaker for a center?

If I take option 2, the Energy line of speakers looks like something I can fit in my budget:

C-C50 center, C-50 front, C-100 front (on sale today)

Does anyone have any thoughts on either option? I have a feeling that option 2 is really the right way to go, but if someone has any knowledge on a way to get a matching center for the Boston Acoustics, then I could save a little money (for now).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still looking for a receiver, but I'm getting closer on the speakers (I hope)

Consider these options for front-left, center and front-right:

1) 4x Energy C-50, sell one

2) 4x Energy C-100, sell one

3) 2x KEF IQ1 + 1x KEF IQ2C

4) 4x KEF IQ1, sell one

From what I've read, these are ranked from worst to best in terms of sound quality. Is this correct?

Also, quick question: should my front three speakers all be the same height off the ground?

Are there any other good options in the $400 or less range for an L-C-R set?

·
Registered
392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spono /forum/post/15566783

Also, quick question: should my front three speakers all be the same height off the ground?

Try to get the tweeters on the L & R at ear level while listening. Might be tough to get the exact same position for your center depending on your setup. My L & R are on either side of the entertainment cabinet about 8' apart. The center is in the entertainment cabinet under my TV, about 12" lower than the tweeters on my L & R. Works fine for me.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spono /forum/post/15566783

Consider these options for front-left, center and front-right:

1) 4x Energy C-50, sell one

2) 4x Energy C-100, sell one

3) 2x KEF IQ1 + 1x KEF IQ2C

4) 4x KEF IQ1, sell one

From what I've read, these are ranked from worst to best in terms of sound quality. Is this correct?

Yes.

I own option #3, and I really like it. It is pretty close to #4 in that both the iQ1 and the iQ2 have identical 5.25" UniQ drivers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTZ /forum/post/15566958

Try to get the tweeters on the L & R at ear level while listening. Might be tough to get the exact same position for your center depending on your setup. My L & R are on either side of the entertainment cabinet about 8' apart. The center is in the entertainment cabinet under my TV, about 12" lower than the tweeters on my L & R. Works fine for me.

Here's my setup right now (2.0 only). The bookshelf speakers are the ones hooked up and I'm using the floorstanding speakers as stands. Do you see any other obvious placement options? I had them up on top of the brown and white bookshelves flanking the TV until you told me about keeping the tweeters at ear level.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/15567004

Yes.

I own option #3, and I really like it. It is pretty close to #4 in that both the iQ1 and the iQ2 have identical 5.25" UniQ drivers.

Awesome, I figured they must be more expensive for a reason. I'll still have to find someplace to audition the KEFs, but does anyone have any experience listening to both the KEF and Energy speakers I listed above?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spono /forum/post/15568639

Here's my setup right now (2.0 only). The bookshelf speakers are the ones hooked up and I'm using the floorstanding speakers as stands. Do you see any other obvious placement options? I had them up on top of the brown and white bookshelves flanking the TV until you told me about keeping the tweeters at ear level.

Go to Ikea and buy some narrow bookshelves to go beside you others and place your speakers on an appropriate level shelf. They're front ported and perfectly happy inside a bookcase. That's exactly where I have mine (Ikea even).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts