AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello!  I can't believe I'm even considering building a sub.  My journey started out innocently enough, surfing ID subwoofer company threads looking for something in the $500 range.  Then I clicked on a link to a DIY build, and the decent into madness began.  It doesn't help that I'm a hobbyist woodworker - I build furniture for fun.  This sort of thing looks pretty straightforward compared to what I usually deal with.

Anyway, I've got a local DIY shop in Madison, WI called Madisound.  I didn't even know it existed until someone pointed it out to me on a different forum.  It so happens it's only a couple blocks away from work, so I decided to check it out.

When I walked in it quickly became clear that they are an internet company, and walk ins are not really what they are set up for.  But I was really impressed - they took me into the back and I had a great conversation with a couple people there about subs.  I'm pretty much a rank novice at it, and they spent a lot of time describing things and showing me the different components.  Two thumbs up for their customer service.  If I'm buying, I'd like to buy from them if possible.

They suggested to me a kit based on the Seas L26Roy.  I think at least part of the thought behind their recommendation was that it comes with plans to build the box.  That takes some of the guesswork out of the equation for someone as green as I am.  My problem is that I don't even know how to evaluate whether this is a solid sub or not, so I'm hoping someone else can help me. 

Here are the specs from their website.  Cost is $450

Link:  http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/subwoofer-speaker-kits/seas-l26roy-subwoofer-kit/

Ported Bass Reflex

External dimensions: 17.36" x 17.36" x 17.36"

60 liter (2.14 cubic foot)

Tuning frequency: 24Hz

F3: 28Hz

F10: 19Hz

Included in Ported Bass Reflex Version of Kit:

Seas L26ROY 10" Aluminum Cone Subwoofer

Keiga KG5230 300 Watt Amplifier

3" Precision Flared Port

Acoustic Foam Sheet

Acousta Stuff

GOOP Adhesive

8 pcs Black Ox & Wax 10SOCKET1.125 Hex Head Screws

12 pcs Black Ox & Wax 8PAN1 Phillips Head Screws - mount amp to enclosure

Any thoughts?  I'd appreciate any and all feedback!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had this kit for almost 3 months but have not built the enclosure. I am calling Madisound tomorrow for an explanation regarding the measurements reported to build the seas inspired ported box. I just don't understand how the designer comes up with such odd measurements that can only be expressed in 100th's of an inch. How accurate can the completed box be with non standard non fraction equivalent measurements?

To answer your question about why you should get this kit I have heard from an audio expert that built this kit (using his own design ported enclosure) that this kit is bullet proof and is LOUD and accurate. This kit was recommended to me and I bought it.

Any input on box construction or some manageable plans would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

To me, it looks like the box may have been planned out in the metric system and converted to inches.  If you run the conversions, the majority of the measurements are really close to round centimeters, or are right on the centimeter (or at least the 5-6 random ones I tried).

I'll be curious to the explanation you get tomorrow however.    If that's really the case, I'll just get myself a metric ruler. 

·
Registered
138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt  /t/1520677/new-to-the-diy-side-opinions-on-a-seas-l26roy-subwoofer-kit#post_24431083

$450 for a 10" sub.

meh.

pickup an inuke, a martysub flatpack and one of the si 18s, have 4x the performance.

What he said ^^^

·
Registered
522 Posts
What I've learned about subs in the last 6 months. What I found was that if you're going to DIY, there are some really nice values out there. Listen to people who have been there before. Get what you need the first time. If its HT, get more than you need...cuz its funner that way. If its music...think about what you're after but don't be afraid of the larger subs. I recently purchased dual 12" ported subs from a highly respected internet direct company and they were nice. Nice for music and pretty darn good for HT. Then, I began backtracking this and other forums. Never would have considered an 18" sub because my old school thinking was big was bad for SQ. I was wrong. I went dual 18" SI subs in a 4 cf flat packs. A fun project and some incredible dynamics for music and HT. I'd do 2 more if it wasn't incredibly insane to have 4 18" subs in a 2000 cf room.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt  /t/1520677/new-to-the-diy-side-opinions-on-a-seas-l26roy-subwoofer-kit#post_24431083

$450 for a 10" sub.

meh.

pickup an inuke, a martysub flatpack and one of the si 18s, have 4x the performance.

That sounds about what I am going after. Would you mind detailing each of the 3 components you listed? Which iNuke? Where would I get a flatpack and si 18s?

·
Registered
8,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money1572  /t/1520677/new-to-the-diy-side-opinions-on-a-seas-l26roy-subwoofer-kit/0_50#post_24430921

Any thoughts?  I'd appreciate any and all feedback!
Not a great deal of performance for the money: take notnyt's suggestion instead.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
5,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck4353  /t/1520677/new-to-the-diy-side-opinions-on-a-seas-l26roy-subwoofer-kit/0_80#post_24435607

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I see that the D4 is sold out, but the D2 is still for sale. Would 2ohm be a problem with this setup?

Not at all. You can wire it for a 4 ohm load and hook it up to one channel and get a real world 600 watts to it. Or you could hook it up to a bridged 4 ohm load and have miles of headroom.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I would be considering build 2 of these in a 7.2/9.2 setup. Would I use the same amp, one on each channel?

·
Registered
522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck4353  /t/1520677/new-to-the-diy-side-opinions-on-a-seas-l26roy-subwoofer-kit#post_24435607

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I see that the D4 is sold out, but the D2 is still for sale. Would 2ohm be a problem with this setup?

Two of the D2's on an inuke6000 would be very good. I chose a QSC GX7 amp at about 1000w/ch and got lots of headroom.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, just wanted to say thanks for the input on the subwoofer kit i was looking at. I'm very glad I asked the question! I'll keep looking - I'm interested in the Martycube concept, but 18" may be overkill for me. I dont know that though, so need to do some more thinking. I've got a very large room, so I think a ported concept will work better there based on what I've seen so far. Other than that, I'm pretty much open for anything.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money1572  /t/1520677/new-to-the-diy-side-opinions-on-a-seas-l26roy-subwoofer-kit/0_80#post_24436924

I'm interested in the Martycube concept, but 18" may be overkill for me.

Trust me it's not. It's much easier to trim back a sub than to try and ask more out of one that can't produce.

If you really don't think you want to go 18 for whatever reason, the SI 15's are a great bargain and excellent sub as well. I've built a couple for friends that have been blown away by their performance compared to their B&M sub.

Travis

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1520677/new-to-the-diy-side-opinions-on-a-seas-l26roy-subwoofer-kit#post_24437405

Trust me it's not. It's much easier to trim back a sub than to try and ask more out of one that can't produce.

If you really don't think you want to go 18 for whatever reason, the SI 15's are a great bargain and excellent sub as well. I've built a couple for friends that have been blown away by their performance compared to their B&M sub.

Travis

I certainly get you on that. Where I'm still learning is all the mechanics between the driver and the reciever. I'd prefer to run it out of the back of my Yamaha RX-675, and I don't have a media rack to put an amp in. Then you throw in the nuance that there are only 2ohm ones left and my head's spinning. I just don't know the right questions to ask yet. Part of me says to buy the 18 incher and figure out the rest of the equation later....

·
Registered
5,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money1572  /t/1520677/new-to-the-diy-side-opinions-on-a-seas-l26roy-subwoofer-kit/0_80#post_24437910

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1520677/new-to-the-diy-side-opinions-on-a-seas-l26roy-subwoofer-kit#post_24437405

Travis

I certainly get you on that. Where I'm still learning is all the mechanics between the driver and the reciever. I'd prefer to run it out of the back of my Yamaha RX-675, and I don't have a media rack to put an amp in. Then you throw in the nuance that there are only 2ohm ones left and my head's spinning. I just don't know the right questions to ask yet. Part of me says to buy the 18 incher and figure out the rest of the equation later....

Well there is an option of a plate amp, but they are more expensive.

2 ohm ones are no big deal. Wired in parallel they produce a 4 ohm load, perfect for either a single channel or bridged setup on the amp of your choice. That shouldn't deter you at all. I'd just grab one before they are gone too.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Let me chime in. 1 month ago I had 2 Klipsch RW-12D. I also have a Yamaha receiver like you. I thought that owning 1 18" sub was not necessary. And 2, forget about it! Today I have 2, just finished putting the finishing touches on my marty cubes and will be connecting them later this week. I had 1 in the house with no paint to listen to while I worked on the second one. I have to tell you that, they are amazing! I (don't laugh) like some classical music and some piano, the 18" sub blew me away! The piano was perfect, every time that low notes hit I can feel it in my chest. Its not a boomy hit, its a nice tight hit like a 10" would do. If you are considering using this sub for Home Theater, the 10" will leave you wanting so much more. The first time that 10" bottoms out on Thor or War of The Worlds, you will be regretting it. I have the Behringer iNuke 3000dsp and 2 of the 18" dual 2ohm subs from Stereo Integrity running at 4ohms. I love it!. I went back and forth for a while and glad I made the leap.

As far as felling lost, keep asking questions. I am complete newbie, but the other folks that have answered you are serious pros. Listen to what they say, they have nothing to gain and do it all out of the love for DIY and good sound. When you have questions ask, someone will answer. No question is too dumb or unimportant.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1520677/new-to-the-diy-side-opinions-on-a-seas-l26roy-subwoofer-kit#post_24441190

Let me chime in. 1 month ago I had 2 Klipsch RW-12D. I also have a Yamaha receiver like you. I thought that owning 1 18" sub was not necessary. And 2, forget about it! Today I have 2, just finished putting the finishing touches on my marty cubes and will be connecting them later this week. I had 1 in the house with no paint to listen to while I worked on the second one. I have to tell you that, they are amazing! I (don't laugh) like some classical music and some piano, the 18" sub blew me away! The piano was perfect, every time that low notes hit I can feel it in my chest. Its not a boomy hit, its a nice tight hit like a 10" would do. If you are considering using this sub for Home Theater, the 10" will leave you wanting so much more. The first time that 10" bottoms out on Thor or War of The Worlds, you will be regretting it. I have the Behringer iNuke 3000dsp and 2 of the 18" dual 2ohm subs from Stereo Integrity running at 4ohms. I love it!. I went back and forth for a while and glad I made the leap.

As far as felling lost, keep asking questions. I am complete newbie, but the other folks that have answered you are serious pros. Listen to what they say, they have nothing to gain and do it all out of the love for DIY and good sound. When you have questions ask, someone will answer. No question is too dumb or unimportant.

Thanks for the encouragement!  Oddly enough, I was reading the discussion of your martycube build last night in one of the threads, then I woke up this AM and saw you commented here.  One could take that as a sign I should pop on one of those 18 inchers before they are gone. :)

I don't understand the whole 2 vs 4 ohm thing (well I understand ohms, but not in relation to amps/bridge mode/what have you with a sound system) but people here don't think that's a big deal and they know a lot more than me so I'm not going to worry about that quite yet.

Now for the wife..I think I may have to adopt an "beg forgiveness later" strategy here...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money1572  /t/1520677/new-to-the-diy-side-opinions-on-a-seas-l26roy-subwoofer-kit#post_24441451

Thanks for the encouragement!  Oddly enough, I was reading the discussion of your martycube build last night in one of the threads, then I woke up this AM and saw you commented here.  One could take that as a sign I should pop on one of those 18 inchers before they are gone. 

I don't understand the whole 2 vs 4 ohm thing (well I understand ohms, but not in relation to amps/bridge mode/what have you with a sound system) but people here don't think that's a big deal and they know a lot more than me so I'm not going to worry about that quite yet.

Now for the wife..I think I may have to adopt an "beg forgiveness later" strategy here...

Don't ignore the signs.
Order it before its gone. I understood the the ohm thing very little as well but it is actually pretty easy when you put it on paper. The dual 2ohm from SI and an iNuke3000dsp is a great combination. It has a few downsides but with the incredible price of about $299 for the amp you can overcome the downsides. One of them being a fan change, its easy and about $20.

Most wifes are very forgiving, especially when they see how happy you get when you open that box and pull out an 18" sub. Its like being a kid at Christmas time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts