Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, gang.

I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now, and finally decided to post.

I have recently upgraded from a Sony 1270q to an Electrohome 9500LC Ultra. I am having a few difficulties with the EH, so my hopes are to find the solutions here. I'll keep reading and searching, but I may soon have questions. I see that most of you don't mind giving a helping hand to fellow CRT enthusiasts.

The 1270q was an easy CRT to repair. I had that thing in so many peices, so many times, it was just plain fun. Now I have the EH and I do not have a service manual. Hmmmm : /

The main problems I am looking to fix...

My top and bottom pincusion will not adjust. Along with some keystone and other convergence problems. Left and right pincusion, and some geometric and convergence adjustments do work fine.

I also experience a vertical roll when the projector warms up (anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes). I hear a "click", the screen goes black for about 4 or 5 seconds, and then the image rolls from bottom to top until I shut the projector off. It also squeezes the image 2 or 3 times horizontaly. I pulled the geo and conv board and found a burnt resistor. I think it was space R14, but I do not know for sure right now.

And my green gun or lens has some fog or mold. The image looks like I am projecting through a foggy pane of glass in the upper left corner of the green gun only. I wonder if that may have something to do with the Stereoscopic display (I understand the stereoscopic works with a fast burning green phosphor?) I am hoping to easily clean it.

The EH has only 5500 hrs on the guns, and another 500 in standby. Total of just over 6000 hours. It was made in March of '01 with a Christie label. I know this is one of the last (word has it this WAS the LAST) 9500 made.

Items I want to do more research on are the mods. Neck board, anamorphic, and I need to check to make sure I am not exceding the 6.3 volts from whatever I am supposed to check. All in due time. More, if it will help me get the best image possible.

Thanks for reading the long post. If anyone has any links to threads I might want to read, please post them. I have a feeling I will be doing lots of reading here.

And in case it matters, I have no problem doing any of these repairs or mods myself. I'm quite handy with a hammer. :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
You do have a lot of reading ahead. A hammer isn't enough, there will be times when you will also need a chisel.

Try Chris' site for some light reading, and there's Tim's site too.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
I wish newbees would post their location. Quite often a forum member with the answer to the problem is just around the corner.

Chip

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel
I wish newbees would post their location. Quite often a forum member with the answer to the problem is just around the corner.

Chip
Yep! That would be nice but then they would be newbies. ;) :D

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Is upgrading to a broken projector really an upgrade? :D you got a lot of work to do, I had an electronics engineer repair my convergence board, and it was a bear. MP and Tim Martin even said "don't bother trying to repair, it's very complicated, just buy a new one" . sounds like yuor VIM is bad too, the whole chassis might taken a HV EM pulse from a leaky lead, who knows? P14 is on the motherboard right behind the blue tube, but if it's an Ultra that shouldn't even be an issue, they addressed that problem in late 1998. The 9500 LC is still in production, as matter of fact they're cranking them out like sausages in Florida so I doubt your's was the last one. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You see, I'm learning already! Who is still making these? Maybe I have the last Electrohome before Christie took over ???

Yes, it is certainly an upgrade from the 1270q.

And thanks to PAW and stefuel for ganging up on the newb. How nice to meet everyone. :p

I'll read up on the VIM board.

Thanks for the links. I'm gonna go out right now and buy a chisel.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
BTW, I can fix those boards for you if they are bad, or you can send yours in for testing in a working set.

Curt

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo
And thanks to PAW and stefuel for ganging up on the newb. How nice to meet everyone. :p
It's more like friendly poke in the ribs. :)

Hey! I guess no one did say welcome. :( Welcome to the forum! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAW
It's more like friendly poke in the ribs. :)

Hey! I guess no one did say welcome. :( Welcome to the forum! :D
Hey, that tickles!

And thanks for the welcome, it's gonna be fun. :cool:

I'm rather handy with boards, as long as I know what to replace, which I guess is the problem here. I don't even know what boards to look at until I find a service manual. If it comes down to it, someone may be fixing an item or two for me, as long as the cost stays fair.

Oh yeah! My ACON stopped working also.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Have you ripped it apart yet? Sounds to me like it could just be assembled wrong with connectors off or misaligned. I bet it need a full cleaning too.

Welcome....

Obviously that pj is worth whatever headaches you're in for, and they're really easy to figure out once you take it apart and see how straightforward the design is.

Troy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.