AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is so much info and advice on subs that i'm overwhelmed and could use some advice on a sub. My current set up is:

Denon 3311ci

def tec procinema c2 center

Def tec BP6 front

Def tec 350's rear

atlantic tec 154 surrounds

cerwin vega sb12

I need to upgrade to a powered sub. I want earth shattering, foundation shaking base :). I watch more action/scifi movies than anything else. i'd say I watch 95% movies and 5% music. My room is 21' long x 11' wide with an 8' ceiling. My speaker color theme is black, price range is 400 or less (I could entertain maybe 500 bucks), the woofer box size is not too much of an issue (im used to a woofer box 13"H x 16"W x 25"L so no bigger than that). Thank you for your input.

JC

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, looks like I wont be getting what I want. let me re-phrase my question. What sub will come close or fairly close to to semi earth shaking base for 500 bucks? Remember I'm a movie watcher. Thanks for all the help since i dont know much about subs.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
This sub delivers a lot of bang for the buck, especially when it is on sale. I think it goes for $550 delivered when it is on sale.

Search Outlaw on this Forum to confirm the sale price.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html

I did a quick search and the LFM-1EX does indeed sell for $550 delivered when it is on sale. Be patient and you can get a well-regarded sub.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Well JC you may want to look into running dual subs. My HT room is 15x25 as I am running trip subs. I have dual Bic A Pl-200's that are stacked in the back portion of the room as I just added the PA-150 sub a week ago as that sits up front. The Pl-200's can be had for around $270 as the PA-150 is right around $340 ( thats shipped BTW). Just going by what you have listed for size both the PL 200 & esp the PA-150 are out thou... unless you can get into a bit larger size.

Other options...

D.I.Y kits can be had for $400

Used subs... sometime you can find a great deal on them.

Anyhow.. good luck

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
pick the sub you like the best in the 500-600 range. brands like ed,epik,hsu are all good.

buy one that will suit you best, maybe ported 12" driver. if one is not enough for you, start saving up for a second.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE FLASH /forum/post/20821138

What about a VTF3 MK2? I found just found a local guy selling one. he wants 450, is that too much? What is a fair price?

I hear that is a great subwoofer.

I just bought this ED A2-300 for $400, hear it works pretty well for the price, might wanna check it out if your size constraints allow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw another thread about either buying an Epik legend or the Outlaw LFM-1 plus and did not want to hyjack his thread and noticed that those were recommended to me. Someone asked him why not a VTF-2 MK3? Not thinking about which of the 3 sub choices is on sale, which of the 3 would be best suited for action/scifi movies?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The only way to know which of the three subs(all three are an improvement from the one you have) is the best for your room is to buy all three and test them out.

Granted subwoofers are a much smaller mystery than regular speakers...but in their "simplicity"(and ergo, copy-ability) it is harder to choose one over another.

If you can get that local one for $400, that would be great, $450 is pushing it. With subs, the best thing to do is figure out your wants(HT boom in your case) and go looking "blind" and let the price you can get something for be the guide as to which to choose.

Keeping in mind, that once you have the VTF for $400-$450, you can later do an audition with another sub. Perfectly working VTF3 should never be worth less than $300...as long as it works.

Cause you never know. You might run across somebody selling a Velo DeQ 12 for $300 or the 15 for $600(both of which would be a longshot...and better than a MK2 VTF3)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.