AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a 60-65" plasma to put over my fireplace in my den and I am not really needing or wanting a 3D set. Which of the Samsung plasma's is the best that doesn't have 3D? I just starting to research their sets and I see the 6500, 7000 and 8000's as options with 3D. I did a search but nothing really came up that I read that answered my questions unless I overlooked it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd03blown
I am looking to get a 60-65" plasma to put over my fireplace in my den and I am not really needing or wanting a 3D set. Which of the Samsung plasma's is the best that doesn't have 3D? I just starting to research their sets and I see the 6500, 7000 and 8000's as options with 3D. I did a search but nothing really came up that I read that answered my questions unless I overlooked it.
Any one have feedback or recommendations? I am looking for 60+; so would the 550 or 590 be the ideal choice?

My budget is about 3000 for the TV so would it make sense to get a 63" in the 7000 series based on the price of that TV?

Thanks for any help as my head is spinning with all the plasma options out there as I have been a DLP fan for years

·
Registered
653 Posts
Check out cleveland plasma, get the 63c590....save the money...just got mine for 2gs shipped...picture in movie mode is almost perfect....although I haven't done a proper calibration yet since it isn't yet at 100 hours, but have used the avs bluray set up disk to set black level and color using the blue only mode in the set and the colors are spectacular and very natural...skin tones are even and correct looking.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeProcopio
Check out cleveland plasma, get the 63c590....save the money...just got mine for 2gs shipped...picture in movie mode is almost perfect....although I haven't done a proper calibration yet since it isn't yet at 100 hours, but have used the avs bluray set up disk to set black level and color using the blue only mode in the set and the colors are spectacular and very natural...skin tones are even and correct looking.
Joe - thanks for the feedback and good idea on saving the money for not big difference in performance between the 550/590 compared to the 7000.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to Frys today and got to look at the plasmas and LED's sets. I am for sure a plasma fan!! The LED's are just so bright compared the the plasma's; could not believe the difference.

I got to see the pannys, sammys and LG's. I must say the sammys to my eyes look the best and the blacks were great! Much better than the LG's for sure. I got to see the 63" sammy next to the 65" S2 and I loved the sammy picture.

Looks like I will go the Samsung route with either a 7000 or the 590.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeProcopio /forum/post/19650900

+1 I bought it there as well for the exact same price. I just got it today and the brief 5 minutes I watched it were awesome! Boxed it back up until I do the install this weekend.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd03blown /forum/post/19654631

Went to Frys today and got to look at the plasmas and LED's sets. I am for sure a plasma fan!! The LED's are just so bright compared the the plasma's; could not believe the difference.

I got to see the pannys, sammys and LG's. I must say the sammys to my eyes look the best and the blacks were great! Much better than the LG's for sure. I got to see the 63" sammy next to the 65" S2 and I loved the sammy picture.

Looks like I will go the Samsung route with either a 7000 or the 590.

If your going to get your set calibrated at a later date the colour management menu or software is much more extensive in the 6 series and above, I would suggust the 7000 series myself just for the ease of calibration.

Good luck with your purchase, Merry Xmas

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan /forum/post/19657503

What buzzers? Samsung said there is no buzzing problem.

No, they have told some owners of buzzers that it's normal to hear a plasma buzzing at 15 feet as they denied warranty requests.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts