AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted a big screen, front projection system and have finally gotten financially secure enough to take the big dive.

Could anyone give me a suggestion as to a starting package, say 1500 or less for a projector?

The room is 15x19 with windows that I will black out. The walls will be very dark when I paint the room. Basically starting from scratch here.

I've read some of the forums and the Z3 seems to be a favorite. I've seen it for sale on ebay for about 1500 bucks.

Any other recommendations? Best bang for the buck....?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
MSRP prices only, please; see: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=500886 .

BTW, look at the AVS Forum Alliance Members (links at the top of the page) for good sources of PJs. They usually offer discounts to AVS members, if you call them. And they are authorized dealers (warranties get honored).

·
Registered
358 Posts
tds99

You can check out the Z3 at Projector people for abit less than amazon. If you not in a hurry you can also wait for the CEDIA next month they will announce new products.

·
Registered
457 Posts
First off, WAIT In a few weeks new products will be anounced as well as new pricing for older products. (big show called CEDIA where most projector anouncements are made each September)

You need a projector, screen and surround to get the home theater experience. It will be hard to do all three well for 1500 but you can upgrade pieces induividually until you get there.

If your only source of video is DVD, keep in mind they are only 480 lines and the 480 line PJ's that street around $1000 are very nice and may even get cheaper soon. Check Optoma H31 and InFocus 4805 from the forum sponsers for good bets in this category and for current pricing.

If you have other HDTV sources they are likely mostly 720p with a few (PBS and Discovery HD I think) at 1080i. If that is the case you may seriously want to consider the extrra money for a 720 machine. Look at last years Panny 700 as well as the Sanyo Z3 for LCD machines and hopefully some competitive 720 DLP's will drop to or near your price this fall.

The next generation of DVD/bluray and games will be 1080i and p. Right now you will need to double your price and then add another 0 to the end to get a decent 1080 projector, but that will change in the next 6 months I think, and you may find them in your grasp within the next 24 months. Not worth the wait if you ask me. Buy a 480 or 720 now and enjoy it while you wait for the 1080 to reach your level.

For a screen, go to Joanne Fabrics and buy some blackout cloth for about $15. It is a white fabric with a rubbery treatment used to keep light coming through shades. As a screen goes it is OK, no where close to the real thing or a good DIY paint job, but it will get you started and help you decide what size is right before you buy one or put your time into DIY.

This is not the place to discuss audio, but make sure you plan on having some since your PJ will not have even cheap skeakers like a TV does. A decent 5.1 system really adds to the experience, as much as the video if you ask me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for the initial help.

I should clarify that 1500 is what I was thinking for the projector alone.

So, the z3 is a 720 machine and if i want a 1080i, it's going to cost me huge bucks?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.